Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love the solon so i'd totally risk it, but..

pintail c. isoscoles is super docile and pretty. if you really want super peaceful this is probably the one to get
orangeback from that same complex is known to be much more peaceful, c. aurantidorsalis
flame wrasses c. jordani are usually pretty peaceful, but a little pricey
hooded wrasses c. bathyphilus are pretty, sometimes more affordable
DANGIT. thats two that would still risk the solon with the other 3. lol. guess i gotta wing it. and hope i get extremely lucky... i guess ill find out quick in the 20g QT lol.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DANGIT. thats two that would still risk the solon with the other 3. lol. guess i gotta wing it. and hope i get extremely lucky... i guess ill find out quick in the 20g QT lol.
My solon was beautiful but after a year began harassing and chasing most of my smaller fish. I wanted a peaceful tank so I traded it in.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks. first one on the other side. im thinking hooded fairy wrasse instead???
I am not a wrasse expert at all! I currently have a melanarus and a carpenter flasher, and I may add 2 more flashers just because there are NO issues with flashers.

There is a thread called “the wrasse lovers thread”. Do a quick search for it and post your wrasse questions there. There are a couple experts that monitor that thread.

BTW, Atomic Orange is my favorite C6 color!

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea ive seen the threat. i hollered at a wrasse masta! waiting for a response.. to me all flashers look the same.. atleast the ones on LA. so i didnt wanna get more than one. i actually really like the photo of hooded fairy so ill have to see what the expert says. red head solon or hooded.

and Atomic orange is sexy. although i dabbled in wrapping it in flat metallic orange blaze. to keep the AO look kind of but be a little different!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if funds aren't an issue..

https://reefbuilders.com/2012/01/16/cirrhilabrus-nahackyi/

:D

or find a c. claire

Image.aspx

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with adding two Halichoeres chrysus with a blue star leopard and a Solon? 125 gallon DT.

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank. Wondering how much room I'd have left for inverts and corals if I put the following fish in:

2 Clowns
3 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Neon Goby
1 Royal Gamma Basslet

According to AqAdvisor that puts me just north of 70% capacity

Thanks

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank. Wondering how much room I'd have left for inverts and corals if I put the following fish in:

2 Clowns
3 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Neon Goby
1 Royal Gamma Basslet

According to AqAdvisor that puts me just north of 70% capacity

Thanks
You will be fine with that list. And there are no rules for stocking.........just wise choices;)

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine with that list. And there are no rules for stocking.........just wise choices;)
So, what would be good for a clean up crew? Trying to stay away from too many snails, they freak the mrs out. Also, will be adding some LPS down the line. Don't want to overburden the biologicals

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what would be good for a clean up crew? Trying to stay away from too many snails, they freak the mrs out. Also, will be adding some LPS down the line. Don't want to overburden the biologicals
Highly recommend @reefcleaners

Go to their website and select your tank size. You need snails IMO.

You really won’t see them very often except for the nerites.

Reefcleaners.org

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 32g biocube. It’s currently housing 25 lbs of cured live rock, an oscellaris clown, and a hitchhiker tiny brittle star. I’m working on what I want to add to the tank (not now, waiting at least a month before adding anything new). Eventually I’d like to add a small number of corals - softies and maybe 1 or 2 lps. I’m hoping to put 5 fish in this tank, a cleaner shrimp, and cleanup crew. I’ve got a clown, so thinking I could do 4 more fish.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Flame angel (maybe coral beauty but prefer flame)

One of the following:
Orchid dottyback
Brazilian gramma
Royal gramma

One of the following:
Twinspot hogfish
Filamented flasher wrasse
Carpenters flasher wrasse

Other options:
Midas blenny
Yellowtail damsel

Other suggestions? I like hawk fish but assume they’d eat my shrimp.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 32g biocube. It’s currently housing 25 lbs of cured live rock, an oscellaris clown, and a hitchhiker tiny brittle star. I’m working on what I want to add to the tank (not now, waiting at least a month before adding anything new). Eventually I’d like to add a small number of corals - softies and maybe 1 or 2 lps. I’m hoping to put 5 fish in this tank, a cleaner shrimp, and cleanup crew. I’ve got a clown, so thinking I could do 4 more fish.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Flame angel (maybe coral beauty but prefer flame)

One of the following:
Orchid dottyback
Brazilian gramma
Royal gramma

One of the following:
Twinspot hogfish
Filamented flasher wrasse
Carpenters flasher wrasse

Other options:
Midas blenny
Yellowtail damsel

Other suggestions? I like hawk fish but assume they’d eat my shrimp.
Your tank is too small for a dwarf angel. I would abound a dotyback in that size tank with the other peaceful fish you plan on getting.

Hawkfish is fine with cleaner shrimp. You will have to avoid ornamental shrimp, like sexy shrimp.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too small for a dwarf angel. I would abound a dotyback in that size tank with the other peaceful fish you plan on getting.

Hawkfish is fine with cleaner shrimp. You will have to avoid ornamental shrimp, like sexy shrimp.

I know the tank is a bit small for the angel but I’ve seen quite a few kept successfully in a nano tank. My book says 20g and up (Marine Fishes by Scott Michael) but I know other sources say 50g and up.

If not an angel, is there another showy fish you’d recommend? I love wrasses but most get much too large. I used to have 120g fowlr and had a gorgeous lunar wrasse (that killed many of my other fish )

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the tank is a bit small for the angel but I’ve seen quite a few kept successfully in a nano tank. My book says 20g and up (Marine Fishes by Scott Michael) but I know other sources say 50g and up.

If not an angel, is there another showy fish you’d recommend? I love wrasses but most get much too large. I used to have 120g fowlr and had a gorgeous lunar wrasse (that killed many of my other fish )
Yellowfin flasher wrasse would be beautiful

its.jojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m working on a new diy build (acrylic). It’s going to be approximately 36”x36”x24” tall. What are the thoughts here about running with a trio of yellow tangs. Please let me know what y’all think.

Floweriinaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So i have purchased a 54L aquarium (14g).
Awaiting my start up to next week. When it is cycled i would like to pursue a cleaning crew. This is what i have thought about.

2 neritas
1 Astrea
1 hermit crab
1 Stenopus hispidus

My orginal plan is:
2 clown
1 coral beaty
1 bubbletip

If not clown a small puffer

Any kind of help appriciated.

Last edited:

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think theres any puffers that could go in a 14g and a coral beauty needs a 55gat least. :/ you could pick another nano fish to add.

Tangy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! :)
I'm looking for some feedback on my stocking list for my Reefer 425XL - 88g DT/ 112g TV tank. I'm aiming for a beautiful, relatively "easy" reef. The tank was used and came with the following livestock which I currently have in QT and plan on keeping:
  • Pair of clowns (not sure the type)
  • 1 yellow-eyed kole tang
  • 1 hermit crab
  • 2 snails (turbos I think)
Now here's my current wishlist:
  • Watchman goby + pistol shrimp pair
  • 1 firefish
  • 1-2 orchid dottybacks (I read they can be aggressive but if you add multiple at once they'll be ok? if it's a bad idea I'll just get one)
  • 1 tailspot blenny
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Emerald crabs
  • Pom pom crabs
  • Nessarius snails
  • Serpent sea star
  • Lots of beginner coral
Other fish I'm interested in but probably won't go for due to their potential to cause problems are:
  • Snowflake eel (I loooove these but I'm too scared they'll kill other livestock)
  • Radial filefish
  • Wrasse (seems to be mixed on whether they can be reef safe or not)
Please tell me your recommendations!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back