Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

JG_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am starting a Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 gallon tank and am looking for advice in regards to stocking the tank. As of now I am looking at:

1 purple firefish
1 tailspot blenny
1 high fin goby & shrimp

I want to make sure these fish are compatible and okay together for this size tank. Would I still have room for invertebrates (snails, sea slugs, feather duster worms)?

Bkab_Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @mta_morrow for pointing me in this direction to ask question as well as @Eva Rose for suggesting a list of fish I really would like to keep in a reef system.

I have only begun building the 75 gallon tank, so adding any life will take some time and even longer to add the fish I choose. Dimensions are 48l x 18w x 21t

So I am trying to find out if the list seems compatible and what kind of order you would suggest they be put into the system, assuming all parameters in the tank are steady before adding each.

Also, if you guys/gals could let me know where each of the following fish like to hang out in the tank...

My list includes:
Either a yellow or a convict tang.
Either a fuzzy or zebra lionfish (assuming last fish to go in)
A flame angel
A starcki damsel

Those are at the top of my list.

Other wants are:
red tail flasher wrasse
Purple firefish (maybe multiple of these guys get along cause they are just so cool and sleek)
Yellow prawn goby

And then, as I’m new to this, there will probably be others I choose as well. Lol.

The aquascape isn’t complete yet. I’m thinking of adding 3rd shorter structure between the 2 in the back, but here is tank minuse everything but the rock

73367627-29F5-44C5-8931-3E05636E8690.jpeg

NorthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Reefers,

I've started my stocking list and here is what I have come up with (I have a Red Sea Max Nano stock including a small PS, and a 5 gallon refugium under tank, 25G;

2x Banggai Cardinalfish
1x Yasha Goby
1x Mandarin Dragonet
1x Candy Can Pistol Shrimp
2x Turbo Snails
5x Nassarius Snails
3x Sexy Shrimp
1x Cleaner shrimp
1x Small Maxima Clam
1x Royal Tux Urchin

I am trying to determine if my list is appropriate for my tank size, advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @mta_morrow for pointing me in this direction to ask question as well as @Eva Rose for suggesting a list of fish I really would like to keep in a reef system.

I have only begun building the 75 gallon tank, so adding any life will take some time and even longer to add the fish I choose. Dimensions are 48l x 18w x 21t

So I am trying to find out if the list seems compatible and what kind of order you would suggest they be put into the system, assuming all parameters in the tank are steady before adding each.

Also, if you guys/gals could let me know where each of the following fish like to hang out in the tank...

My list includes:
Either a yellow or a convict tang.
Either a fuzzy or zebra lionfish (assuming last fish to go in)
A flame angel
A starcki damsel

Those are at the top of my list.

Other wants are:
red tail flasher wrasse
Purple firefish (maybe multiple of these guys get along cause they are just so cool and sleek)
Yellow prawn goby

And then, as I’m new to this, there will probably be others I choose as well. Lol.

The aquascape isn’t complete yet. I’m thinking of adding 3rd shorter structure between the 2 in the back, but here is tank minuse everything but the rock

73367627-29F5-44C5-8931-3E05636E8690.jpeg

uhh i'm pretty sure the lionfish is going to eat most of that stocklist, the bottom 3 especially, starcki maybe, tang and angel probably ok assuming they aren't tiny. and yellow tang really probably needs a bigger tank, but since it's 4 foot i guess if you feel ok about it

firefish don't change gender and males are intolerant of each other, so you'll want to limit that to 1-2. and getting a pair is difficult since it's basically luck of the draw

Morning Reefers,

I've started my stocking list and here is what I have come up with (I have a Red Sea Max Nano stock including a small PS, and a 5 gallon refugium under tank, 25G;

2x Banggai Cardinalfish
1x Yasha Goby
1x Mandarin Dragonet
1x Candy Can Pistol Shrimp
2x Turbo Snails
5x Nassarius Snails
3x Sexy Shrimp
1x Cleaner shrimp
1x Small Maxima Clam
1x Royal Tux Urchin

I am trying to determine if my list is appropriate for my tank size, advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

i think you're fine except the mandarin.. they really need like a 50+ gallon tank that has been established for a year to really feel good about it.

there are captive bred ones so i guess you can give those a whirl, but you still have to feed several times a day (their stomachs are tiny). i'm not saying it definitely won't work, but it's not ideal

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

I have a Red Sea reefer 425 (88 gallon display) with 2 zebra dartfish/gobies, 2 osc clowns and 1 royal gramma. I am working on my next round for qt. I would like to do another batch of 5 fish if possible. The possible fish on the list are:

Group 1:
Yellow prawn goby or court jester goby
Yellow coris wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Neon goby

Group 2:
2 or 3 azure damsels
Long nose hawkfish
Flame angel

Does my grouping make sense? Any concerns with the full fish list once all stocking is complete? Any thoughts on yellow prawn vs court jester goby?
Thanks.

Bkab_Jay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uhh i'm pretty sure the lionfish is going to eat most of that stocklist, the bottom 3 especially, starcki maybe, tang and angel probably ok assuming they aren't tiny. and yellow tang really probably needs a bigger tank, but since it's 4 foot i guess if you feel ok about it

firefish don't change gender and males are intolerant of each other, so you'll want to limit that to 1-2. and getting a pair is difficult since it's basically luck of the draw

i think you're fine except the mandarin.. they really need like a 50+ gallon tank that has been established for a year to really feel good about it.

there are captive bred ones so i guess you can give those a whirl, but you still have to feed several times a day (their stomachs are tiny). i'm not saying it definitely won't work, but it's not ideal

I’ve been reading about the lionfish and the reason I picked this one was because it is smaller, and will have a harder time fitting the other fish in its mouth.

Seems like if you can feed them by hand (tongs) before the night lights come on, they will be less likely to to try and munch on its tankmates.

The firefish and the gobies are still a little scary because while they are about the same length, they are much smaller of body.

The lion fishes reputation is one reason for thinking it will be the last addition (just in the top part of wanted fish). This way, I can get a little guy.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading about the lionfish and the reason I picked this one was because it is smaller, and will have a harder time fitting the other fish in its mouth.

Seems like if you can feed them by hand (tongs) before the night lights come on, they will be less likely to to try and munch on its tankmates.

The firefish and the gobies are still a little scary because while they are about the same length, they are much smaller of body.

The lion fishes reputation is one reason for thinking it will be the last addition (just in the top part of wanted fish). This way, I can get a little guy.

yeah.. it'll grow and eat the small fish lol, they're definitely more fish safe than the massive lions, but they won't have any issues making those small skinny fish disappear

@lion king is the lionfish expert on here, i'd ask him

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am starting a Fluval Sea EVO 13.5 gallon tank and am looking for advice in regards to stocking the tank. As of now I am looking at:

1 purple firefish
1 tailspot blenny
1 high fin goby & shrimp

I want to make sure these fish are compatible and okay together for this size tank. Would I still have room for invertebrates (snails, sea slugs, feather duster worms)?

I think this stock list will work well fish wise and will be fine with invertebrates. I don’t think any sea slugs will work in that size tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My dwarf lionfish's would easily make a meal out of the firefish, the goby you're looking at actually gets pretty dang big and is really quick. The firefish would just be asking to get eaten. Nature is nature, you may get a small lion and everything is great for a year, then one day you see him with a huge bulge in his belly. I concern myself more with the lion's welfare, read through some of the post in the Predator Fish Discussion to see if a lion is right for you. Pay special attention to the feeding requirements, there is no guarantee you will get them to take enough dead food to sustain long term; and if you do, it does take a bit of effort.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a lettuce sea slug be too large?
I have never kept one, I was thinking of sea hares, which would be too big. I think the issues you can run into with the lettuce sea slug is getting caught in pumps and killed and possibly running out of algae to feed on. I would plan to let your tank mature And grow algae before adding one and use the time to read up on them. Post a thread asking for peoples’ experiences keeping them on the invert forum or reef discussion forum here and see if anyone had success in a smaller tank. A very cool animal, would be awesome to have success with them!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I got my Quoyi Parrot, and I’m looking ahead to tankmates.

Parrot is very peaceful...... but needs docile tankmates.

I am thinking Boxfish, and an Angler (not sure of type of either of them yet)

All 3 docile, reef-safe, and Parrot/Boxy too big for Angler to eat, I should be good?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All 3 docile, reef-safe, and Parrot/Boxy too big for Angler to eat, I should be good?
Anglers should be species only tanks, they do not compete for food well with other faster moving fish. Can easily starve in a community tank.
Some ideas would be stay away from known nippers, some angles etc and be careful with wrasses.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anglers should be species only tanks, they do not compete for food well with other faster moving fish. Can easily starve in a community tank.
Some ideas would be stay away from known nippers, some angles etc and be careful with wrasses.

Does this hold true still if it is the only fish in the tank eating live-feeders?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@lion king is the one to ask about anglers. I have not kept any of these fish so take what I’m about to say with a grain of salt. My concerns are that the angler could eat a baby boxfish,which would be a disaster. The boxfish May nip at the anglers fins it it’s anything like a puffer or trigger behavior wise. I would say the angler is safe with corals but not crustaceans. The boxfish won’t be safe with corals necessarily, I would think soft corals and lps could be eaten (like a puffer). Also these three fish make a lot of waste so you’d need good filtration if you want to keep sps.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king is the one to ask about anglers. I have not kept any of these fish so take what I’m about to say with a grain of salt. My concerns are that the angler could eat a baby boxfish,which would be a disaster. The boxfish May nip at the anglers fins it it’s anything like a puffer or trigger behavior wise. I would say the angler is safe with corals but not crustaceans. The boxfish won’t be safe with corals necessarily, I would think soft corals and lps could be eaten (like a puffer). Also these three fish make a lot of waste so you’d need good filtration if you want to keep sps.

The SPS would be a concern for the Boxfish I guess. The bio-load isn’t so much of a concern for me.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this hold true still if it is the only fish in the tank eating live-feeders?
They are ambush predators they sit and wait for their prey to come to them. In a tank of active fish this makes the anglers job more difficult. Also just about every fish, if a fish will fit in its mouth may eat that fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back