Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all, i've always wanted a hippo tang. In the past, many many years ago, I tried one or two that died. I will say that back then i didn't have the best stability. 20 years later have way better success rates with most live stock. I wonder if I can add a hippo tang now. My fear is that i think they are super fragile in the smaller sizes. I have a red sea reefer 350, so 70 gallon display mixed reef. The only bullies in my tank that might not like new additions are a salfin and coral beauty. although the salfin keeps the coral beauty in check. The last fish i added was a fairy wrasse and to my surprise, the only one to chase it around for the first few days was my starry night blenny.
That's a big fish for a 70 gallon tank, even liveaquaria says a minumum of a 180g display, it gets a full foot long!
But if you're actually going to rehome it when it gets to 6" or 8"...maybe? It might keep up with the sailfin, but I wouldn't count the wrasse addition like a tang, the sailfin will know the difference. If it were me...I wouldn't do it, I'd get a tomini or a kole, though!

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big fish for a 70 gallon tank, even liveaquaria says a minumum of a 180g display, it gets a full foot long!
But if you're actually going to rehome it when it gets to 6" or 8"...maybe? It might keep up with the sailfin, but I wouldn't count the wrasse addition like a tang, the sailfin will know the difference. If it were me...I wouldn't do it, I'd get a tomini or a kole, though!
that makes sense. I'll keep it in mind if i ever upgrade to a larger tank. And then maybe with the mix up i can take advantage and add him and maybe with all the comotion, he'll go unnoticed. thanks for your feed back.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes sense. I'll keep it in mind if i ever upgrade to a larger tank. And then maybe with the mix up i can take advantage and add him and maybe with all the comotion, he'll go unnoticed. thanks for your feed back.
That's an awesome plan. I really liked my kole tang I had in my 90 gallon and the sailfin might leave him alone...could be worth a try, they're great for keeping the rocks and sand clean, even the glass!

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add some new fish to my existing system. Before I make the investment in time & money, and perform Tank Transfer I want recommendations on what you add to my 180 Reef! Here are my first choices:

Existing Fish:
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Flame angel
flameback angel
Blue spotted puffer
Starry Blenny
high fin goby
yellow goby
3 blue green chromis
2 clown fish paired (will NOT go in my BTA!)

Corals
Mushrooms
candy cane corals
sea fans
leather coral
finger coral
4 BTA
Green polyp algae

Fish I want to add:
Goldflake angel - could this live with my 2 pygmy angels? Flame / flameback? or a regal angelfish?
matted pair of green mandarins
blue spotted goby? I need something to sift my sand?
Other suggestions for my reef?

thank you!
Neptune!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to add some new fish to my existing system. Before I make the investment in time & money, and perform Tank Transfer I want recommendations on what you add to my 180 Reef! Here are my first choices:

Existing Fish:
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Flame angel
flameback angel
Blue spotted puffer
Starry Blenny
high fin goby
yellow goby
3 blue green chromis

Corals
Mushrooms
candy cane corals
sea fans
leather coral
finger coral
4 BTA
Green polyp algae

Fish I want to add:
Goldflake angel - could this live with my 2 pygmy angels? Flame / flameback? or a regal angelfish?

thank you!
Neptune!
Hey! The only one on your wanted list I'm not sure of is the Goldflake. I'll tag our #reefsquad to see what they might say.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need an Anthias expert. I only want one. And one that doesn't get really big. Do I have to get a male? I've seen some specified as male and some smaller ones that have no gender specification. If you buy one that has no specification will it be ok either male or female by itself? Also, which ones do you recommend and why? Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aggressive are gobbies to conspecifics? I have a small court jester goby but would like to add a diamond goby to get a little more sand sifting. Any chance this would work?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aggressive are gobbies to conspecifics? I have a small court jester goby but would like to add a diamond goby to get a little more sand sifting. Any chance this would work?
There will be no issues between those two. Most likely wont even notice each other.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! The only one on your wanted list I'm not sure of is the Goldflake. I'll tag our #reefsquad to see what they might say.
Anyone know if a goldflake or a regal tang could be added to my tank? That is what I am wishing to add? Thanks!! Full post be adding again....

Existing Fish:
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Flame angel
flameback angel
Blue spotted puffer
Starry Blenny
high fin goby
yellow goby
3 blue green chromis

Corals
Mushrooms
candy cane corals
sea fans
leather coral
finger coral
4 BTA
Green polyp algae

Fish I want to add:

Last edited:

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on my fish list for a standard 120G mixed reef.
I currently have a Solon Wrasse in the DT
in observation/QT: pink spotted Goby and Royal Gramma

Stock plan:
Flame Wrasse (there's a female at LFS that's been there at least 5 weeks now and likely my next fish unless it sells before next weekend)
Pintail Wrasse (been at the LFS for a while now, I may pick up with the flame wrasse)
Exquisite Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
( my favorite wrasse probably highest desired fish)
3-5 Lyretail Anthias (one of my wife's favorite fishes... every time we go to the LFS together she points and asks what are those?)
Purple tang
Vermiculate Leopard wrasse
(probably 6-12 months before this addition) maybe a pair? I love the female coloring
Mandarin (my wife's favorite fish, but I fear not fast enough with the wrasses and will be 12+ months away before tank is ready)

It feels wrong not having a Tang in the tank, I thought having a single large fish would be better than cramming it in with a bunch of medium sized fish, and it's the only semi-aggressive/aggressive fishes in the tank. I also considered a single spot breast angel instead to go with the other plankton eaters. is the tang going to be too aggressive?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on my fish list for a standard 120G mixed reef.
I currently have a Solon Wrasse in the DT
in observation/QT: pink spotted Goby and Royal Gramma

Stock plan:
Flame Wrasse (there's a female at LFS that's been there at least 5 weeks now and likely my next fish unless it sells before next weekend)
Pintail Wrasse (been at the LFS for a while now, I may pick up with the flame wrasse)
Exquisite Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
( my favorite wrasse probably highest desired fish)
3-5 Lyretail Anthias (one of my wife's favorite fishes... every time we go to the LFS together she points and asks what are those?)
Purple tang
Vermiculate Leopard wrasse
(probably 6-12 months before this addition) maybe a pair? I love the female coloring
Mandarin (my wife's favorite fish, but I fear not fast enough with the wrasses and will be 12+ months away before tank is ready)

It feels wrong not having a Tang in the tank, I thought having a single large fish would be better than cramming it in with a bunch of medium sized fish, and it's the only semi-aggressive/aggressive fishes in the tank. I also considered a single spot breast angel instead to go with the other plankton eaters. is the tang going to be too aggressive?
My 1st concern is your mix of wrasses.

I highly recommend you read the first post of this thread and follow the chart. That thread is full of wrasse experts.

After that, come on back here with a new list!

Unthinkable

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st concern is your mix of wrasses.

I highly recommend you read the first post of this thread and follow the chart. That thread is full of wrasse experts.

After that, come on back here with a new list!

I've done some reading inside all the wrasse threads, and thought my choices are separate enough in the complexes/sub-groups. The only potential conflict i'm seeing is Lineatus and Solon. Is there something I'm missing? Am I reading the chart/complexes/sub-groups wrong?

CirrhilabrusComplexes.png

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some reading inside all the wrasse threads, and thought my choices are separate enough in the complexes/sub-groups. The only potential conflict i'm seeing is Lineatus and Solon. Is there something I'm missing? Am I reading the chart/complexes/sub-groups wrong?

CirrhilabrusComplexes.png
I’m just recommending you ask about the wrasses in that thread as there are always exceptions. And starting with the solon wrasse in the tank already may pose an issue as they are typically on the aggressive side.

I know mine ended up being a terror to my peaceful tank and had to trade it in.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just recommending you ask about the wrasses in that thread as there are always exceptions. And starting with the solon wrasse in the tank already may pose an issue as they are typically on the aggressive side.

I know mine ended up being a terror to my peaceful tank and had to trade it in.
They may also help with the correct order to add them

Scott Edward Matheney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Almost 1 yr old 75 gal tank.
Have: asstd snails/crabs cuc.,1 ocellaris clown, 1 yellowtail blue damsel, zoos and hammerhead corals.
Want: tomini tang, scooter blenny, 3 bangaii cardinals.
Any issues? What order/time frame?
Thanks

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Almost 1 yr old 75 gal tank.
Have: asstd snails/crabs cuc.,1 ocellaris clown, 1 yellowtail blue damsel, zoos and hammerhead corals.
Want: tomini tang, scooter blenny, 3 bangaii cardinals.
Any issues? What order/time frame?
Thanks

only do 2 bangaiis or 2 will pair off and kill the 3rd

i'd add the tang last, but u should be good. have you seeded pods? afaik scooter blennies aren't as pod needy as mandarins, but i'd do that first. my tank is at the 1 year 3 month mark and i've noticed pods in my sump are everywhere, but my dt is podless with two halichoeres wrasses in there

kudos on the patience.. i had my tank overstocked within a few months lol. in a 75 i'd have like 20 fish in there by now

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank will be 48 (L) x 30 (W) x 24 (H). I was thinking of:
2 clownfish
Goby/shrimp
Blenny (opinions)
Tang? (Maybe a bristletooth)

What blenny/tang, if any, as well as other fish that would blend well. I’ve had a Midas blenny and a starry blenny that got mean at times so I thought about a tail spot blenny. I thought about wrasse or mandarin but didn’t know if they would be bullied.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back