Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

dorz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised on my thread to post here...I have a new 5ftx2ftx2ft tank set up and was thinking of stocking in the following order:

Group 1

6 x Carberryi Anthias - Will leave them to settle for several weeks before adding another group.

Group 2*

1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Scarlett Hawkfish
1 x Dusky Yellow Tail Blenny

Group 3*

1 x Orchard Dottyback
1 x Starcki Damsel
2 x Clarkii Clown Fish (No nem)

*These groups will be QTed separately but added to the display at the same time.

Group 4

1 x Convict Tang
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Yellow Eye Kole Tang

Should these be ok together, I've got quite a bit of marco rock in there covering up to just under half way up the tank but not overpowering it. I've arranged the rocks in such a way that there's lots of nooks and crannies. I'm also going to make artifical alcoves out of reef rubble and use a magnet to stick them to the back wall of the tank to create extra territories/zones for however may want to make them a home.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help! I have a pair of Percula Clownfish. They were really small when I got them about 6 weeks ago. They've grown a lot and were doing well until last night. The larger one is really struggling today. I went to the LFS and my water is perfect. It's just that one fish. The others are fine. Pretty sure it's not going to make it. No illness, no injuries.

I did put a couple of beginner LSP coral in the tank about a week ago and they have never opened.

I know there are probably no answers to why this fish is not doing well but I'm a little traumatized.

Here's my question. If the larger one dies can I get another one for the smaller one? It's still a juvenile. Will they become a pair? If I can, should I get a smaller one?

Any advise appreciated.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if a goldflake or a regal tang could be added to my tank? That is what I am wishing to add? Thanks!! Full post be adding again....

I want to add some new fish to my existing system. Before I make the investment in time & money, and perform Tank Transfer I want recommendations on what you add to my 180 Reef! Here are my first choices:

Existing Fish:
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Flame angel
flameback angel
Blue spotted puffer
Starry Blenny
high fin goby
yellow goby
3 blue green chromis
2 clown fish paired (will NOT go in my BTA!)

Corals
Mushrooms
candy cane corals
sea fans
leather coral
finger coral
4 BTA
Green polyp algae

Fish I want to add:
Goldflake angel - could this live with my 2 pygmy angels? Flame / flameback? or a regal angelfish?
matted pair of green mandarins
blue spotted goby? I need something to sift my sand?
Other suggestions for my reef?
Bump, #reefsquad

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need help! I have a pair of Percula Clownfish. They were really small when I got them about 6 weeks ago. They've grown a lot and were doing well until last night. The larger one is really struggling today. I went to the LFS and my water is perfect. It's just that one fish. The others are fine. Pretty sure it's not going to make it. No illness, no injuries.

I did put a couple of beginner LSP coral in the tank about a week ago and they have never opened.

I know there are probably no answers to why this fish is not doing well but I'm a little traumatized.

Here's my question. If the larger one dies can I get another one for the smaller one? It's still a juvenile. Will they become a pair? If I can, should I get a smaller one?

Any advise appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about your clownfish. Yes, you can get another fish to pair with your juvenile clown. Your best chance at a successful pairing would be to get another Perc that is the same size or smaller. Good luck!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your clownfish. Yes, you can get another fish to pair with your juvenile clown. Your best chance at a successful pairing would be to get another Perc that is the same size or smaller. Good luck!

Thanks. The smaller one isn't looking good either now. I have a professional coming over to help tomorrow. It's heartbreaking to watch them suffer.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I'm bringing back a dead thread but I currently have a 75 gallon stocked with 2 clowns, 2 bangaiis, a blenny and a goby
and i was looking for interesting bigger "show fish"/fish i guess would be the most noticeable(like tangs)
I was considering a foxface and kole tang but was interested to see if you guys had any other ideas
I'm also open to just neat stocking ideas anyways since my tank still look pretty empty
edit: p.s. does anyone have experience with a coral beauty angel or potters angel? both are gorgeous fish

NoLobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding a pygmy angel to my IM Nuvo 20. Thoughts?

Current inhabitants:
1 Bubble tip anemone, 1 clownfish, 1 clown goby, 1 fire shrimp, 2 snails, 1 tuxedo urchin
Corals: a few softies, two lps, and 1 monti cap

I feed daily with a variety of foods throughout the week.

I am looking for 1 final fish to add to the tank and was deciding between a second clown and a argi/pygmy angel. The little blue and yellow ones with the turqoise streak on the fin.

See my build thread for more info on the tank.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current inhabitants:
1 Bubble tip anemone, 1 clownfish, 1 clown goby, 1 fire shrimp, 2 snails, 1 tuxedo urchin

I am looking for 1 final fish to add to the tank and was deciding between a second clown and a argi/pygmy angel. The little blue and yellow ones with the turqoise streak on the fin.

I’ve never kept one but I’d think that the limited space will make it aggressive once it’s settled in. I’ve seen other angels be in a well fed tank and still be a hit or miss with corals.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocelarris Clownfish
RBTA
20lbs dry rock
20lbs Live sand
Yellowtail damsel
Pacific cleaner shrimp
3 PJ cardinal fish
I want some corals soon
I would only have one in a tank that size if it was alone. A small engineer goby might be good until it gets closer to full grown. The goby also won’t hurt your other fish. They’re really neat in pairs but can dig a LOT of tunnels so make sure the rocks are stable on the bottom.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only have one in a tank that size if it was alone. A small engineer goby might be good until it gets closer to full grown. The goby also won’t hurt your other fish. They’re really neat in pairs but can dig a LOT of tunnels so make sure the rocks are stable on the bottom.
Alrighty thanks

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please send a link to where to buy one

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current inhabitants:

Pygmy angels are highly active swimmers and grazers. 4’ length would be the minimum length and should be the last fish added

bman6854

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
My company is looking into purchasing a 300 gallon salt water coral tank. We would like an estimate on what we would need as far as building costs and the tank upkeep. It would also be very helpful if we could have suggestions of fish to buy. Thank you for your time.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My company is looking into purchasing a 300 gallon salt water coral tank. We would like an estimate on what we would need as far as building costs and the tank upkeep. It would also be very helpful if we could have suggestions of fish to buy. Thank you for your time.
I would say start up cost for just equipment would be 1500-3000
And then with corals and other livestock and 1000-3000

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back