Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My company is looking into purchasing a 300 gallon salt water coral tank. We would like an estimate on what we would need as far as building costs and the tank upkeep. It would also be very helpful if we could have suggestions of fish to buy. Thank you for your time.
I would expect to spend upward of $3000 for the tank and stand. $2000 would be a good number for lighting if you are looking at a reef tank setup. A good skimmer will run roughly $800 as will the sump. The return pump will likely be $400 and you will spend a few hundred on plumbing parts and valves.
If, since this is for a company, you want to be able to monitor it remotely on nights/weekends then add another $1200 for an aquarium controller.
I would budget at least $7000 if you want a simple system that size. If you are looking higher end you can easily spend $10k+ just for equipment.
If you go with basic coral and fish you can get away with $1k to $2k. If you want designer corals and higher end fish you could exceed $5k in coral/fish costs.

Hope that helps.

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My company is looking into purchasing a 300 gallon salt water coral tank. We would like an estimate on what we would need as far as building costs and the tank upkeep. It would also be very helpful if we could have suggestions of fish to buy. Thank you for your time.
I’m building a 150 gal right now and I’ll be close to 10k. I’m also trying to get some really nice equipment and easy maintenance so it’s all about what you’re looking for. Do you know what type of coral they want to keep?

Kane32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spouse wants me to get more fish that are "pretty". I am not sure I should add more fish at this time, but we have to keep the boss happy right?
System is Red Sea Reefer 525 XL (108 gal display 32 gal sump) Mixed Reef tank.
My current stock is:
1 Blue green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns
4 Firefish
1 Two Bar Rabbitfish (Siganus virgatus)
1 Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura)
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia)
1 buble tip anemone
various crabs and snails

All of these fish have been in the system together for five months with no new fish added. My spouse really likes Blue Sapphire Damsels and Dwarf Angels (that won't eat my corals) - would either of these work? Any suggestions on any fish that I could add?

Thank you!

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spouse wants me to get more fish that are "pretty". I am not sure I should add more fish at this time, but we have to keep the boss happy right?
My current stock is:
1 Blue green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns
4 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 buble tip anemone
various crabs and snails

All of these fish have been in the system together for five months with no new fish added. My spouse really likes Blue Sapphire Damsels and Dwarf Angels (that won't eat my corals) - would either of these work? Any suggestions on any fish that I could add?

Thank you!
They both can work. There are no true reef safe dwarf angels. Flame and coral beauty angels are known to pick at corals less but there are no guarantees. Angels of the Genicanthus genus are known to be reef safe though.

Good luck and happy Reefing

Vinny88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to saltwater tanks and I have a JBJ 12 gallon nano-cube tank. I am looking for suggestions on what fish I could put in there and if I am able to have clownfish in a tank of that size. Thank you

tomtom39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 29gallon with 6 grow out angelfish that decided to become 3 pairs. Currently have wigglers and a new batch of eggs in last hour. Planning on a fowlr retrofit with a oversize skimmer and power head. I'm planning on using the live rock as main filtration system as I find canisters on sw to be nitrate factories. The tank will eventually be home to a young dwarf lionfish as solo occupant. What are your opinions?

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking ahead to when I add first fish. Gonna be clowns for sure. My question is can I put one Ocellaris clown and a different type or do they both need to be the same?

DishFishA36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29-gallon tank with two PJ Cardinals. Could I get a yellow watchman goby, a clownfish, and a royal gramma?

DishFishA36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking ahead to when I add first fish. Gonna be clowns for sure. My question is can I put one Ocellaris clown and a different type or do they both need to be the same?
I don't know but I wouldn't keep them in triplets or add them first if you are going to add more fish they can be territorial.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock is:
1 Blue green Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clowns
4 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 buble tip anemone
various crabs and snails

Thank you!
I personally would not add the blue sapphire damsels as they are rather aggressive and not sure how thing would end up with your clowns and blue chromis. I would not be afraid to add yellow tail or azure damsels as they are much less aggressive.

as for a dwarf angel, I would it be afraid to add one. They are beautiful and highly active grazers. However, it may or may not like some coral. Be prepared to catch and trade if it does. Add it last if at all possible as they will not take newcomers well especially if they are herbivores.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't planning on having triplets. One Ocellaris and one other color scheme clown. Is that doable?
Not likely to work out unless you have a very large tank, and even then it’s a risk that one will be killed by the other. It IS ok to have 2 ocellaris with different color schemes. It would be best that the new addition be smaller than the current one.

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely to work out unless you have a very large tank, and even then it’s a risk that one will be killed by the other. It IS ok to have 2 ocellaris with different color schemes. It would be best that the new addition be smaller than the current one.
So, after little more research, I am finding the 2 different color schemes are both Ocellaris clowns, so will give a shot. Am planning on trying to get one that's a bit larger than the other. They will be first fish in a 75 gallon so hopefully will have plenty of room.

ShariC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, R2R. I have a RedSea with 56 gallon display, mixed reef. Currently I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 orange stripe gobies, 2 cleaner shrimp (all of them bought as mated pairs), and various snails and crabs.

I would like to add a lawnmower blenny and a trio of dartfish. Couple of questions:

Does a lawnmower blenny typically move around the tank or stay more toward the bottom?

Anything I should watch out for with this combo? All my current stock get along fine but the clowns and gobies don't really inhabit the same area of the tank and I know clowns can be a bit feisty.

Thanks!!

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is seriously lacking fish. I have recently come across a local reefer that has some live stock for sale and i wanted to see what if any would be a good fit for my tank for the foreseeable future. I have made some mistakes in years passed and do not want to repeat. My tank is an 80 gallon deep blue shallow rimless and its current inhabitants are 1 ocellaris clownfish and one melunaris wrasse as well as a sand sifter star and various soft corals and LPS. The fish that are available are as follows: maroon lightening clown, 3x purple chromis, bicolor blenny, purple dottyback, allens damsel, gold nugget clown.
I I know most of those fish are kind of peaceful to semi-aggressive do you think I could add some of those fish and which would be the best choices?I do like the idea of chromis schooling i appreciate b by the feedback. GO BILLS

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, R2R. I have a RedSea with 56 gallon display, mixed reef. Currently I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 orange stripe gobies, 2 cleaner shrimp (all of them bought as mated pairs), and various snails and crabs.

I would like to add a lawnmower blenny and a trio of dartfish. Couple of questions:

Does a lawnmower blenny typically move around the tank or stay more toward the bottom?

Anything I should watch out for with this combo? All my current stock get along fine but the clowns and gobies don't really inhabit the same area of the tank and I know clowns can be a bit feisty.

Thanks!!
This mix would be fine

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is seriously lacking fish. I have recently come across a local reefer that has some live stock for sale and i wanted to see what if any would be a good fit for my tank for the foreseeable future. I have made some mistakes in years passed and do not want to repeat. My tank is an 80 gallon deep blue shallow rimless and its current inhabitants are 1 ocellaris clownfish and one melunaris wrasse as well as a sand sifter star and various soft corals and LPS. The fish that are available are as follows: maroon lightening clown, 3x purple chromis, bicolor blenny, purple dottyback, allens damsel, gold nugget clown.
I I know most of those fish are kind of peaceful to semi-aggressive do you think I could add some of those fish and which would be the best choices?I do like the idea of chromis schooling i appreciate b by the feedback. GO BILLS
Chromis don’t really shoal in our tanks although they will add color and motion. Bicolor blenny is ok as well. I would not add the others unless you want to risk unrest in your tank.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mix would be fine
I was worried about the maroon
Chromis don’t really shoal in our tanks although they will add color and motion. Bicolor blenny is ok as well. I would not add the others unless you want to risk unrest in your tank.
So the dotty back is out of the question then. I was a little worried about the lightening clown and my current clown. I really like lightening clowns though but i do not want unrest by any means.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with mta, lightning is a maroon clown which are hard to pair with other maroons, let alone an ocellaris which is likely female being that it's alone

if you like the purple dottyback, i'd recommend an orchid dottyback. similar in color, much more peaceful. they should be easy to find somewhere in orlando..

i've never kept allens damsels and they're a pomacentrus, but people say they're a well behaved damsel. at the least they won't bother clowns or a melanarus

and go dolphins! (not really, hope they go 0-16)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back