Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty peaceful group of fish at least to each other and im not trying to ruin that. with that in mind eventually i want to add 1 tang to my tank in 2 months my list of fish in the order they were added is below my tank is 72x18x28 150g with a 25g sump

what type of tang do you guys think would fit in peacefully? not interested in the kole or sailfain tangs

also would a Red Head Solon Wrasse be an issue with this group? thanks

Coral beauty angelfish
Tomato clownfish
One spot rabbitfish
Female Lyretail anthias
2x pyramid butterfly fish

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty peaceful group of fish at least to each other and im not trying to ruin that. with that in mind eventually i want to add 1 tang to my tank in 2 months my list of fish in the order they were added is below my tank is 72x18x28 150g with a 25g sump

what type of tang do you guys think would fit in peacefully? not interested in the kole or sailfain tangs

also would a Red Head Solon Wrasse be an issue with this group? thanks

Coral beauty angelfish
Tomato clownfish
One spot rabbitfish
Female Lyretail anthias
2x pyramid butterfly fish
The red head solon will work well with this group. As far as tangs, you could easily choose any of the zebrasoma or acanthus species. Is there a particular tang you like?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the yellow tang im just worried about aggression mainly
Adding the yellow last will be fine and as the only tang, should be fine. However, every fish has their own personality

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SETTING UP 610 GAL/ 166G SUMP AND WILL BE ADDING LIVE SAND, SEA WATER AND ROCK HOPEFULLY THIS WEEK. Plan on lots of rock and some very hardy, mostly hard corals(Ie:Monti’s, Hollywood stunner, etc). Will also try some mushrooms, zoo’s and 2-3 Rose bubble anemone’s. The stars of the tank will be the fish!.....I PLAN ON INTRIDUCING FISH OVER AN 8 WK PERIOD OF TIME in 4 groups- Group 1-marbled cat shark (atelomycterus Macleayi), 4 clown fish. Gr#2-Hippo Blue tang, flame hawk, flame angel, 10 neon gobies Gr#3 medium size powder blue, Gold flake angel, scribbled angel,Gr#4 emperor angel,3 yellow tangs, purple tang. after an appropriate cycle time which will be aided by the live rock, live sand and sea water,Each group w/b 2 weeks apart. All fish would have quarantine period with the aide of a felbow aquarist. The equipment( lights, skimmers, doser, filtration, etc) are all top of the line. Questions...Are the 4 groups properly aligned from passive to aggressive? Is 2 weeks in between groups a good time interval? number of fish per group? No matter how experienced we may be, we can always benefit from different opinions and levels of experience so please supply lots of feedback!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SETTING UP 610 GAL/ 166G SUMP AND WILL BE ADDING LIVE SAND, SEA WATER AND ROCK HOPEFULLY THIS WEEK. Plan on lots of rock and some very hardy, mostly hard corals(Ie:Monti’s, Hollywood stunner, etc). Will also try some mushrooms, zoo’s and 2-3 Rose bubble anemone’s. The stars of the tank will be the fish!.....I PLAN ON INTRIDUCING FISH OVER AN 8 WK PERIOD OF TIME in 4 groups- Group 1-marbled cat shark (atelomycterus Macleayi), 4 clown fish. Gr#2-Hippo Blue tang, flame hawk, flame angel, 10 neon gobies Gr#3 medium size powder blue, Gold flake angel, scribbled angel,Gr#4 emperor angel,3 yellow tangs, purple tang. after an appropriate cycle time which will be aided by the live rock, live sand and sea water,Each group w/b 2 weeks apart. All fish would have quarantine period with the aide of a felbow aquarist. The equipment( lights, skimmers, doser, filtration, etc) are all top of the line. Questions...Are the 4 groups properly aligned from passive to aggressive? Is 2 weeks in between groups a good time interval? number of fish per group? No matter how experienced we may be, we can always benefit from different opinions and levels of experience so please supply lots of feedback!
I would move the powder blue tang to group 4, as it's likely to become very territorial very quickly. Any tangs added afterward will be fair game. In a large system, this can actually be worse because there is more room in the tank for it to defend it's own patch. Crowding a bit seems to help with aggression so being in such a lightly stocked tank (with so much space) with only one other tang is likely to increase it's aggression. Other than that i think that's a pretty good plan of attack. You're smart to add the emperor after the other angels, though the goldflake and scribbled may not tolerate one another if only the two are added together. Unfortunately, that could work or it could grenade. Neither is OVERLY aggressive but temperaments vary greatly. You can count on the emperor being ornery, which it seems you're aware of. You might try another large angel with the scribbled and goldflake as it will increase the odds of them not fixating on each other.

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 45G JBJ that I'm working on a stock list for, but really having a hard time narrowing down fish.

Right now, I have a pair of Oscellaris', but obviously wanting to add more.

Here my current stock list:
Pair Oscellaris Clowns
Banggai Cardinal
Royal Gramma
Bicolor Blenny
Purple Firefish
Red Lined Wrasse
Mandarin Goby (end goal)

So a few worries with this list:
1. Is it overstocked? Last thing I want, but I feel like placement of fish in the tank and where most sit allows room, but bioload may be too high.
2. Copepods. Obviously with the Mandarin I will need a steady and plenty of copepods, but my worry is being out hunted by the Red Lined Wrasse. I really love the idea of a Hali. Wrasse (and this is one of the smaller ones) due to all their benefits with pests in the tank, but worried any might out eat and starve out the Mandarin. I plan to get captive bred Mandarin, when I do, and it will be after the tank has been established for at least a year so that may help, but not sure.

Any thoughts?

Any help is appreciated!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 45G JBJ that I'm working on a stock list for, but really having a hard time narrowing down fish.

Right now, I have a pair of Oscellaris', but obviously wanting to add more.

Here my current stock list:
Pair Oscellaris Clowns
Banggai Cardinal
Royal Gramma
Bicolor Blenny
Purple Firefish
Red Lined Wrasse
Mandarin Goby (end goal)

So a few worries with this list:
1. Is it overstocked? Last thing I want, but I feel like placement of fish in the tank and where most sit allows room, but bioload may be too high.
2. Copepods. Obviously with the Mandarin I will need a steady and plenty of copepods, but my worry is being out hunted by the Red Lined Wrasse. I really love the idea of a Hali. Wrasse (and this is one of the smaller ones) due to all their benefits with pests in the tank, but worried any might out eat and starve out the Mandarin. I plan to get captive bred Mandarin, when I do, and it will be after the tank has been established for at least a year so that may help, but not sure.

Any thoughts?

Any help is appreciated!

i have a red line wrasse and it will definitely outcompete a mandarin in a tank that size. my sump is flooded with pods, but very few pods to be seen in the DT. i do also have a yellow wrasse so they really leave no stone unturned. so if you really want a mandarin, i'd avoid any halichoeres wrasse

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a red line wrasse and it will definitely outcompete a mandarin in a tank that size. my sump is flooded with pods, but very few pods to be seen in the DT. i do also have a yellow wrasse so they really leave no stone unturned. so if you really want a mandarin, i'd avoid any halichoeres wrasse

Yeah, that makes sense.
Any recommendations on maybe a pest control Wrasse or an alternative fish good for pest control that won't mess with the Mandarin's copepods?

That's been my biggest issue with this stock list.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that makes sense.
Any recommendations on maybe a pest control Wrasse or an alternative fish good for pest control that won't mess with the Mandarin's copepods?

That's been my biggest issue with this stock list.

afaik all wrasses that are heavy pod eaters are also the pest eating ones.

i've seen people say springers damsels and orchid dottybacks eat flatworms? i have both of those fish as well and i've never spotted a flatworm, but idk what else they eat. i don't think they're big pod eaters, but i also don't think they do much on coral pest eating front, save some flatworms. they don't really behave like the wrasses either, the wrasses cruise the rocks and are constantly going after stuff, the damsel hangs higher up and i never see it picking at the rocks. the dottyback more hangs down low in his cave area and again, no picking at rocks

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the powder blue tang to group 4, as it's likely to become very territorial very quickly. Any tangs added afterward will be fair game. In a large system, this can actually be worse because there is more room in the tank for it to defend it's own patch. Crowding a bit seems to help with aggression so being in such a lightly stocked tank (with so much space) with only one other tang is likely to increase it's aggression. Other than that i think that's a pretty good plan of attack. You're smart to add the emperor after the other angels, though the goldflake and scribbled may not tolerate one another if only the two are added together. Unfortunately, that could work or it could grenade. Neither is OVERLY aggressive but temperaments vary greatly. You can count on the emperor being ornery, which it seems you're aware of. You might try another large angel with the scribbled and goldflake as it will increase the odds of them not fixating on each other.
Thank you. Very helpful and will indeed move the PB to group 4. The fish list keeps evolving....Group one is now the catshark, 4 clowns and flame hawk #2 is now Hippo tang, 10 neon gobies and 5 Lyretail Anthias #3 scribbled and goldflake angel #4 emperor angel, 3 yellow tangs and Powder blue. I’ve eliminated coral beauty, flame angel and purple tang.
PB to group 4 it is! Thx

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g long w/b perfect. Some will suggest you can go smaller, and you can. However I believe that having a bit more water will allow for the potential that something can go marginally wrong and your livestock can survive. Your margin or error is greatly improved with a 20g long. Good luck and if this is your first tank, Welcome to the great world of saltwater fish keeping!

oinkymcpiglie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g long w/b perfect. Some will suggest you can go smaller, and you can. However I believe that having a bit more water will allow for the potential that something can go marginally wrong and your livestock can survive. Your margin or error is greatly improved with a 20g long. Good luck and if this is your first tank, Welcome to the great world of saltwater fish keeping!

Thanks! It would be my first saltwater tank but I'm pretty experienced in freshwater so at least I got that going for me haha

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also kept freshwater for a long time before venturing into saltwater after visiting Hanauma Bay, Hawaii. My suggestion would be to scour the internet or get a good book. Believe it or not I like “the complete idiots guide to saltwater aquariums” or the Marine Aquarium Handbook as good beginner books. Good luck and keep asking questions on R2R.

oinkymcpiglie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also kept freshwater for a long time before venturing into saltwater after visiting Hanauma Bay, Hawaii. My suggestion would be to scour the internet or get a good book. Believe it or not I like “the complete idiots guide to saltwater aquariums” or the Marine Aquarium Handbook as good beginner books. Good luck and keep asking questions on R2R.

Yeah I've been reading a good bit and talking to some people at our local fish store. I generally try to stay offline because there's so many conflicting answers, but this place seemed good

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
Hello! I am looking for some input on a stocking plan. I am brand new to the hobby and have done a lot of research but not put much of it into practice yet. My system is a 40 breeder with 20 long sump finishing its 4th week of the cycle. Ive been testing ammonia every day and drops to 0 within about 6 to 8 hours of dosing recommended amount of ammonia chloride. It will have new generation AI prime 16s, Reef Oct skimmer and about a 5 gallon fuge. I do plan on a mix reef with mostly LPS and I may try my hand at SPS later. A RBTA is also a must I understand it may adjust and hit a coral but ive always wanted one.

My current stocking plan is as follows;

Black Ice Clown and typical black and white clown (will these two get along okay?)
Firefish
Diamond goby shrimp pair (will the firefish get along? Isnt this technically a goby)
6 line wrasse
Various CUC.

Id love a powder brown or naso tang but i dont think my system is large enough yet. I am open to suggestions for more utilitarian fish as well.

TIA!

1013192034.jpg

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish wise you are good and may be able to add another small comparable fish. Your instincts are on point in reference to system/tank being a bit on small side for tangs mentioned or any tang actually.....Best off luck.

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have a tank picked for my new upgrade and once that's different from the planned thoughts originally Haha, so gunna be reworking the stock list so I'll def be asking here or having a a section to my build thread which I'll be making and will be my official tank build thread

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back