Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Darkfrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, fish list 2 electric boogaloo:
So, 65 gallon Reef
1 Emerald Crab
1 Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
1 Pin-Striped wrasse
3 Black Axil Chromis
This is gonna be my first saltwater, what issues are present with this list?
Also, I'm assuming this is a fair bit overstocked, correct me if I'm wrong.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, fish list 2 electric boogaloo:
So, 65 gallon Reef
1 Emerald Crab
1 Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
1 Pin-Striped wrasse
3 Black Axil Chromis
This is gonna be my first saltwater, what issues are present with this list?
Also, I'm assuming this is a fair bit overstocked, correct me if I'm wrong.
As the lionfish grows any fish that can fit in its mouth will eventually be a meal for it. I think this will include your entire fish list. You want similarly sized and similarly aggressive fish. In a 65 you maybe limited what this could include as they get 7”.

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in my quarentine process now ising cupramine. Im having trouble hitting theraputic levels. I check my level daily with Hanna copper checker (twice a day one my reagent comes in this week). My QT system is 20 gallons. I started with the recommended 20 drops to bring it to .25ppm. 2 days later I added another 10 drops to bring it to .37 (theoritically) and then the next day I was going to add the final 10 which sould take me to .5ppm. After my first set of 10 drops the level went to .41ppm. Not bad just a bit faster than i wanted. I then added another 5 drops the next day to being it up more. When I tested that night the level was .37. I didnt add anything else and tonight it was .34. What is sucking up my copper? I have some ceramic cylinders and bio wheel in the filter. Is this my problem. Its in there to add some bio mass so my ammonia doesnt get crazy. I dont want to kill my fish. Please any advise is appreciated!

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in my quarentine process now ising cupramine. Im having trouble hitting theraputic levels. I check my level daily with Hanna copper checker (twice a day one my reagent comes in this week). My QT system is 20 gallons. I started with the recommended 20 drops to bring it to .25ppm. 2 days later I added another 10 drops to bring it to .37 (theoritically) and then the next day I was going to add the final 10 which sould take me to .5ppm. After my first set of 10 drops the level went to .41ppm. Not bad just a bit faster than i wanted. I then added another 5 drops the next day to being it up more. When I tested that night the level was .37. I didnt add anything else and tonight it was .34. What is sucking up my copper? I have some ceramic cylinders and bio wheel in the filter. Is this my problem. Its in there to add some bio mass so my ammonia doesnt get crazy. I dont want to kill my fish. Please any advise is appreciated!
The bio wheel is taking your copper out. They contain carbon, and or polyfil i dont don’t remember which but @Humblefish has a thread on it somewhere on here.
i have never used this filter but sure there is a way to Use with some bulk sponge cut to size instead of the stock wheel :)

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt realize that! The bio wheel will,come out when I get home. Is there any issue with ceramic bio media in a bag in the filter? Will the media soak up copper?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use media in a QT tank, use Seachem Matrix. When using copper you should be testing the tank frequently regardless.

thompsonmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I have some Longfin Zebra Danio, Jack Dempsey, and Neon Tetra. Can they live in one tank together? Thanks ;Happy

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I have some Longfin Zebra Danio, Jack Dempsey, and Neon Tetra. Can they live in one tank together? Thanks ;Happy
These fish are freshwater fish. You aren't intending to put them in a saltwater tank, are you?

As far as whether they can go together, I would think that the JD would eat the neons and possibly your danios as well. I would do some more research on these fish before you try putting them together.

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about adding either an flame angel or a coral beauty. Some fire fish gobies maybe one purple one orange. And possibly two cardinal fish. I currently have two midnight clowns and a yellow watchmen. My next buy will be a cleanup crew but I was just wondering how these fish would do together in a lps dominant tank. It’s a 40 gal breeder.

2A5DA408-3ABC-4464-967F-6C5B4B0DF71E.jpeg

thompsonmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are freshwater fish. You aren't intending to put them in a saltwater tank, are you?

As far as whether they can go together, I would think that the JD would eat the neons and possibly your danios as well. I would do some more research on these fish before you try putting them together.
Hi Erin. Thanks for the reply. Of course, I put them in freshwater but I haven't known that JD can eat neons and danios. If I take away JD from the tank which fish I can put instead so it can live together with danios and neons? :rolleyes:

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Erin. Thanks for the reply. Of course, I put them in freshwater but I haven't known that JD can eat neons and danios. If I take away JD from the tank which fish I can put instead so it can live together with danios and neons? :rolleyes:
Well, I had to ask, since you're posting about freshwater fish on a saltwater forum. As far as the danios and neons together without the JD, I can't say for sure, as I've never kept either of them. The neons might be small enough that the danios would eat them. Again, I'd say research the fish before you try putting them together

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio wheel is taking your copper out. They contain carbon, and or polyfil i dont don’t remember which but @Humblefish has a thread on it somewhere on here.
i have never used this filter but sure there is a way to Use with some bulk sponge cut to size instead of the stock wheel :)
This worked perfectly! I guess its my fault for not researching what was in the bio wheel first. I bought the filter because it has a reasonabke amount of space in the back. Anyway I pulled the bio wheel off amd copper has hung around .55ppm for a couple days now! Thanks for the help

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
So I am struggling to come up with fish I really want to put in my tank. I love tangs but my tank is only a 40 breeder so that basically eliminates all of them. I have a pair of clowns and I know I want a firefish and a sand sifting goby. Is there a type of tang I could make really work in the tank. I was thinking a juvinal yellow tang would be alright. But wanted to open it up to this forum. Tank has been cycling for 2 months with no fish (clowns are in quarentine).

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on a desjardini sailfin tang (4”) in a 6’ 180gallon alongside a 4” purple tang, 4” flame fin tomini and a 5” magnificent fox face?

Other livestock are a pair of percula clowns, pink spotted goby, a Midas blenny, and a single (at this time) Dispar amthia, but looking to expand that by 6 additional.

I know the desjardini get big, which is why I’m having second thoughts. I didn’t realize they got up to 18” though when I started thinking about stocking.

Thanks

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am struggling to come up with fish I really want to put in my tank. I love tangs but my tank is only a 40 breeder so that basically eliminates all of them. I have a pair of clowns and I know I want a firefish and a sand sifting goby. Is there a type of tang I could make really work in the tank. I was thinking a juvinal yellow tang would be alright. But wanted to open it up to this forum. Tank has been cycling for 2 months with no fish (clowns are in quarentine).
The tank is to small for any tang of any type. A sand sifting goby requires a large mature sand bed in order to survive long term.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on a desjardini sailfin tang (4”) in a 6’ 180gallon alongside a 4” purple tang, 4” flame fin tomini and a 5” magnificent fox face?

Other livestock are a pair of percula clowns, pink spotted goby, a Midas blenny, and a single (at this time) Dispar amthia, but looking to expand that by 6 additional.

I know the desjardini get big, which is why I’m having second thoughts. I didn’t realize they got up to 18” though when I started thinking about stocking.

Thanks
The tank is to small for an adult desjardini. also having 2 zebrasoma tangs in a tank is a recipe for disaster as they typically do not get along

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is to small for an adult desjardini. also having 2 zebrasoma tangs in a tank is a recipe for disaster as they typically do not get along
That’s what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation.

So I’d be ok with the PT and the Tomini, right?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation.

So I’d be ok with the PT and the Tomini, right?
Yes. I would add both at the same time or the tomini first.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about adding either an flame angel or a coral beauty. Some fire fish gobies maybe one purple one orange. And possibly two cardinal fish. I currently have two midnight clowns and a yellow watchmen. My next buy will be a cleanup crew but I was just wondering how these fish would do together in a lps dominant tank. It’s a 40 gal breeder.

2A5DA408-3ABC-4464-967F-6C5B4B0DF71E.jpeg
With lps tanks the two angels listed are about a 50/50 chance of nipping. The corals to watch most would be acans. My dwrafs have all been model citizens luckily, but my only lps are euphylia and gonipora.
Firefish are great in smaller tanks like this. Some fish that can add color.
Royal gramma
Canary goby
Pin tail fairy wrasses
Smaller halichoeres wrasses
Pink streaked wrasses
And use your inverts for algae control.

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With lps tanks the two angels listed are about a 50/50 chance of nipping. The corals to watch most would be acans. My dwrafs have all been model citizens luckily, but my only lps are euphylia and gonipora.
Firefish are great in smaller tanks like this. Some fish that can add color.
Royal gramma
Canary goby
Pin tail fairy wrasses
Smaller halichoeres wrasses
Pink streaked wrasses
And use your inverts for algae control.
Appreciate it. I was thinking like zoas shrooms and torches hammers and rock nems

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back