Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it. I was thinking like zoas shrooms and torches hammers and rock nems
Np
Each fish is their own, so would add corals slowly. One of each type to gauge their propensity. Also if planning a euphylia garden hammers and frogspawns will be less likely to sting each other. torches will often sting their related neighbors.

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np
Each fish is their own, so would add corals slowly. One of each type to gauge their propensity. Also if planning a euphylia garden hammers and frogspawns will be less likely to sting each other. torches will often sting their related neighbors.
I like the frogspawns too I didn’t even think of those

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I would add both at the same time or the tomini first.
Purple has been in for 8 months. I plan to segregate the tank for a few days to isolate them from each other, since I don’t have a big acclimation box.

I’m trying to find a tomini that is at least his size or slightly larger, to mitigate potential issues.

I got the PT early because my LFS had one that had real bad HLLE and were selling it for $30. I got him back to looking perfect in about 6 weeks.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple has been in for 8 months. I plan to segregate the tank for a few days to isolate them from each other, since I don’t have a big acclimation box.

I’m trying to find a tomini that is at least his size or slightly larger, to mitigate potential issues.

I got the PT early because my LFS had one that had real bad HLLE and were selling it for $30. I got him back to looking perfect in about 6 weeks.
Great! Nice save and wise to use an acclimation box. I have actually cut egg crate to the width of my tank and made a divider for a period of time.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Nice save and wise to use an acclimation box. I have actually cut egg crate to the width of my tank and made a divider for a period of time.
Yeah, that’s the route I’m going to take- I don’t have an acclimation box big enough for a 4” tang.

If I do it right, I’ll get my onyx perculas in the section with the RBTA and hopefully they’ll take interest. I don’t think they’ve even noticed it’s in there since they stick to the other side of the tank

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s the route I’m going to take- I don’t have an acclimation box big enough for a 4” tang.

If I do it right, I’ll get my onyx perculas in the section with the RBTA and hopefully they’ll take interest. I don’t think they’ve even noticed it’s in there since they stick to the other side of the tank
My Ocs pair are the same. I have a Magnifica and a pair of massive RBTAs and 20 months in, they like their empty corner the best???

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I see you are planning to get 2 mandarin fish eventually. I have recently added one to my 75 gallon tank and in love with it. But, I have been told by experts here and otherwhere that they really need lots of pods and not possible to keep more than one in a tank this size. Two would soon be starving

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I see you are planning to get 2 mandarin fish eventually. I have recently added one to my 75 gallon tank and in love with it. But, I have been told by experts here and otherwhere that they really need lots of pods and not possible to keep more than one in a tank this size. Two would soon be starving
Not sure if your talking about my plans but I have a 180 gallon and I culture pods. I'm planning to also supplement with baby brine shrimp every couple days in addition. I should be able to support a mandarin and a ruby red dragonet in this tank

soldier.1102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a 32 G Biocube, everyone I know personally in the hobby has been egging me on to get a six line wrasse...would you do it? I currently have 2 snowflake clowns, royal gamma, purple fire fish a CUC with a shrimp.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have a 32 G Biocube, everyone I know personally in the hobby has been egging me on to get a six line wrasse...would you do it? I currently have 2 snowflake clowns, royal gamma, purple fire fish a CUC with a shrimp.
No.

GregH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all. Setting up a 45g Red Sea E-170 AIO cube + Vortech MP10. Substrate is CaribSea Life Rock & Arag-Alive sand + Fritz 900. In prep for the cycle, trying to finalize (ha!) my planned inhabitant list. Your thoughts on this mix?

Fish:
Ocellaris Clowns (two, paired)
Banggai Cardinals (two)
Orchid Dottyback
Pink Streaked Wrasse (tank is netted)
Yellow Goby
Lawnmower Blenny (eventually)

CUC:
Cerith snails (5)
Trochus snails (5)
Nassarius snails (5)
Blue legged hermit crab (5)
Emerald crab
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Serpent or Brittle starfish

Corals:
Zoanthids
Sinullaria
Toadstool
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Euphyllia (Frogspawn/Hammer)
Bubble
Duncan
Candy Cane
+ maybe limited SPS wayyy down the road.

TIA,
Greg

@evolved

Last edited by a moderator:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all. Setting up a 45g Red Sea E-170 AIO cube + Vortech MP10. Substrate is CaribSea Life Rock & Arag-Alive sand + Fritz 900. In prep for the cycle, trying to finalize (ha!) my planned inhabitant list. Your thoughts on this mix?

Fish:
Orcellaris Clowns (two, paired)
Banggai Cardinals (two)
Orchid Dottyback
Pink Streaked Wrasse (tank is netted)
Yellow Goby
Lawnmower Blenny (eventually)

CUC:
Cerith snails (5)
Trochus snails (5)
Nassarius snails (5)
Blue legged hermit crab (5)
Emerald crab
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
Serpent or Brittle starfish

Corals:
Zoanthids
Sinullaria
Toadstool
Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Euphyllia (Frogspawn/Hammer)
Bubble
Duncan
Candy Cane
+ maybe limited SPS wayyy down the road.

TIA,
Greg

@evolved
That is a lot of fish in 45 gallons.
I would pick which pair you wanted more the clowns or the cardinals. The clowns have a better chance of remaining a pair.

I would skip the dotty back. While less aggressive than other dotty’s could still be a little aggressive, especially to a fish like a pink streaked.

I prefer the smaller blenny’s over lawnmowers, they can get grumpy, and eat less algae as they get older. And for algae eaters i prefer smaller dwarf angels, but id limit your other fish if went this route. Also make sure its the last fish.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Gareth. Anyone else wanna share an expert opinion? TIA!
Agree with Gareth on the dotyback. For cardinals I agree too, but there are others that do well in groups like red lines cardinals and the are a very active cardinal. DD sells them in trios. Lawn mower blennys get large, aggressive, and territorial. Condsider a tailspot spot or flametail blenny

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering about size of tank needed for a pair of mandarins. Not your typical setup though. Tank is a 25 gallon IM ext lagoon plumbed into my main system, which consists of a dedicated 90 gallon fuge, and a 75 gallon sump, in addition to the main display (60 gallon cube). I don’t think pods would necessarily be an issue, but maybe there isn’t enough square footage for 2 to graze all day? Any thoughts? They would be the main pod eaters in the tank (lawn mower, clowns, cardinals are in the tank now). System is 5+ years old, however the lagoon is maybe 3-4 months.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering about size of tank needed for a pair of mandarins. Not your typical setup though. Tank is a 25 gallon IM ext lagoon plumbed into my main system, which consists of a dedicated 90 gallon fuge, and a 75 gallon sump, in addition to the main display (60 gallon cube). I don’t think pods would necessarily be an issue, but maybe there isn’t enough square footage for 2 to graze all day? Any thoughts? They would be the main pod eaters in the tank (lawn mower, clowns, cardinals are in the tank now). System is 5+ years old, however the lagoon is maybe 3-4 months.

If you’re willing to dump lots of pods (ie money) in there if necessary, I think it ‘can’ work

johnsonfalconry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 380-gallon display fowlr tank cycling. The only fish we are for sure is a dog-faced puffer. What are some other fish we should put in we want bright colorful fish? the tank has a deep sand bed and 320 pounds of rock in it. Thanks for any suggestions Justin

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back