Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted a separate thread but no response yet.. this is my proposed stock list for a 120g reef tank. Thoughts or help? I know the Cowfish will do well with most of these, but not sure how a lot of them will interact with each other.

1 Cowfish (Must have)
1 Leafy Filefish
1 Mandarin Goby
2x Bimaculatus Anthias
1 Goby/Candy Cane pistol pairs (possibly Randall Gobies? Not decided yet)
2x Firefish
2x Lyretail Anthias
1 Flame Angel or Coral Beauty
1 Orchid Dottyback
1x Leafy Filefish
2 Blue Eyed Cardinal or Pajama Cardinal or Zebra Dartfish
2x Masked or Neon Goby
Fire shrimps
@kput. I’m following as I’d love to get a cowfish. But getting mixed reviews on reef tank.

Tyler Erickson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28 gallon right now with a couple frostbite and snowflake clownfish, a twin spot hogfish, a royal gramma, and a Randall's goby. I'm going to be upgrading to a 45 JBJ soon and will be swapping my clowns out for a new pair, most likely a black storm and another frostbite, and my hog for a younger/smaller one just incase the bigger one will try to pick on the clowns. I'm planning on keeping my gramma and goby, but also wanted to try a couple fairy wrasses. Would a Lubbock's and a lunate work?

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lactoria cornuta or longhorn cow fish get too large for a 120g.

Lyretails can be aggressive amongst themselves, that might not be enough anthias to spread out the aggression.

leafy file fish, will eat corals also gets too large for the tank.

Mandarin would be fine in this tank size, as long as wait for it to mature before adding.

Bimaculatus Anthias are again one of the more agressive anthias species. I would pick a single species and increase shoal size to spread the aggression out.

i have a soft spot for dwarf angels so i wont knock them off the list, just know that its about 50/50 if they will nip corals.

Orchid dotty backs while more peaceful than other dotty backs, they can still be aggressive. in a 120 this should work, but every fish is different.

blue eyed or dartfish groups sound fine :)

I will be upgrading to a 200~ in the future to compensate for the growth on the Cowfish and the Filefish as I knew they got pretty big, sorry forgot to mention that in this post. I was planning on adding the Mandarin last, but I didn't realize that on the Anthias, I will probably skip the Bimacs if that's the case, and do 4 lyretails instead?
I'd read about the aggression of the dottybacks, but read of another member keeping one successfully with the Cowfish so I figured I'd give it a shot.

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the sixline, they get nasty as they age.

Small fish make a tank imo, especially those that are very active swimmers. I have a 4 foot planted its not the $250 cichlid pair viewers enjoy but the School tetras and colony of shrimp lol.

In a 5 foot tank i would do just 1 dwarf angel personally, its possible 2 could work if added simultaneously, but every fish is different.

Hippo tangs get too large for a 110. A yellow and maybe a bristletooth tang of some kind?
Thanks.
I'm a bit confused about how many fish of same species can I add, specially with small ones. For example:
Gobies, blenies, pseudochromis, cardinals, etc...

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been thinking and researching, what about this list for the 110gal?
NameQty
Ocellaris Clown2
Royal grama1
Kaudens Cardenal2
Yellow Tang1
Firefish goby2
Flame angel1
Bicolor bleny1
Pajama Cardinal3
One spot foxface1
Clown goby citrinis1
Jawfish yellowhead2
Fairy Wrasse3

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys , would you add sunset or randall anthias (3) to lyretail? they would go to 90 gallons.

Jonathan3157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am currently resetting up a 120 gal tank and trying to make it a reef tank manly soft and lps coral. The tank has a sump and refugium (still choosing the algae to grow) and am looking to get a protein skimmer. I was thinking about stocking it with
3 fire dart fish
Powder blue tang
Sail fin
Yellow tang
Tail spot blenny
2 macho storm clowns
Diamond back goby
Green mandarin
Royal gramma
Bicolor blenny
Tuxedo urchin
3 cleaner shrimp
Sand sifting starfish
And snails
I am manly wondering if this is to much for the size tank or if it will be ok because most are smaller fish. I will also probably only go with 1 or 2 tangs but am not sure yet. Also does anyone have and suggestions for 1 or 2 small wrasses for the tank. Thanks

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever kept halichoeres solorensis? (Not the fairy wrasse one)

Yellowface_wrasse_%28Halichoeres_solorensis%29_%2846387007424%29.jpg

looks kinda cool. can't really find much info on here everything that comes up in search is cirrhilabrus solorensis. fishbase and LA say it can get to about 7" so i'm guessing it's on the meaner end of halichoeres and pretty likely to mow down inverts

AZL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have years and years of reefing experience but am pretty encyclopedic when it comes to fish compatibility, tank size, etc. so may be able to help a little on this thread. Always keen to get advice from those with loads of experience as well. ;)

AZL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am currently resetting up a 120 gal tank and trying to make it a reef tank manly soft and lps coral. The tank has a sump and refugium (still choosing the algae to grow) and am looking to get a protein skimmer. I was thinking about stocking it with
3 fire dart fish
Powder blue tang
Sail fin
Yellow tang
Tail spot blenny
2 macho storm clowns
Diamond back goby
Green mandarin
Royal gramma
Bicolor blenny
Tuxedo urchin
3 cleaner shrimp
Sand sifting starfish
And snails
I am manly wondering if this is to much for the size tank or if it will be ok because most are smaller fish. I will also probably only go with 1 or 2 tangs but am not sure yet. Also does anyone have and suggestions for 1 or 2 small wrasses for the tank. Thanks
I know a lot of people keep tangs in 100 to 150 gallon tanks but that is the absolute minimum for them and they're really cramped in there even with otherwise only a few small fish. With the firefish and the clowns you have plenty of active mid water swimming, I'd personally do this lot minus the tangs. If you want some showy fish maybe look at small and medium sized butterfly fish and angel fish (not all of the latter are 100% reef safe but many are). Cardinal fish and anthias are also a good shout, marine bettas as well. There are some spectacularly coloured and good sized wrasses as another option. My personal favourites for centerpiece fish are puffers, valentini are beautifully coloured and don't get massive. Puffers can be an issue in reefs however, it depends on their individual personalities. I got lucky with my pair of green spotted, the tank was set up for them but they are fine with all other fish and even inverts and corals. Actually quite tricky to feed as they need crunchy food but mine won't eat anything with a face. I'm sure you know the starfish will need a load of microlife to feed on in the sand so best going in when the tank's mature. Mandarins have a reputation for being difficult to feed but mine is great. I have plenty of live pods but he eats goldpods as well and I've even caught the little gullet eating pellets. If you get captive bred it's much easier with feeding (and more ethical). Good luck, sounds like a lovely set up :)

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated my list a bit, are there any compatability mismatches here? My only concern might be the blenny and mandarin competing for food, but I've got a while to plan.

Is this about the maximum amount of fish I can keep without overstocking?

120g DT (Will upgade to 200+ within 2-3 years for Cowfish.)

1 Cowfish
2x Pajama Cardinals
4x Zebra Dartfish
2 Goby/Candy Cane pistol pairs (Yasha and Yellow Watchman)
2x Firefish (red or helrichi)
4x Lyretail Anthias
1 Royal Gramma
1 Fairy Wrasse (undecided on variant)
2x Rainford Goby
1 Mandarin Goby (Adding much later)
2x Red Scooter Blennys

AZL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lovely assortment, a lot of those are on my wish list as well! Mandarins aren't hard at all if they eat well. I'd really recommend a captive bred one, had mine about 4 months in the office tank and he's doing really well as is the ruby red dragonet in the home tank. I top up live pods in DT and sump and feed them with zooplankton which the corals also benefit from. Captive bred will eat Goldpods as well, I was a bit shocked at how expensive the bottle is but it lasts for a really long time!

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am upgrading from a 45 to a 150 that is 5x2x2 and am looking for a solid stocking list so far I know I would like a zebra eel and a fu Manchu Lionfish but is there any tangs or triggerfish or wrasses that would go nicely with these two? Also how many fish would be able to go in a system liek that?

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 spot wrasse/aka Yellow Purple wrasse. I saw this guy at petco and thought it was cool. Is it a good fit for my tank? Will it attack my shrimps?
75 gal mixed reef with, Skunk Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, Yellow watchman goby, Firefish goby, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Pintail wrasse, pajama cardinal, royal gramma, various hermit crabs and snails

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 spot wrasse/aka Yellow Purple wrasse. I saw this guy at petco and thought it was cool. Is it a good fit for my tank? Will it attack my shrimps?
75 gal mixed reef with, Skunk Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, Yellow watchman goby, Firefish goby, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Pintail wrasse, pajama cardinal, royal gramma, various hermit crabs and snails
Hi! I have 12 Wrasses....and in my experience most Wrasses but flasher and Fairy Wrasses have the potential to make a meal out of ornamental shrimp, snails, and crabs. I haven't been able to keep much if a cuc in about 5 years with all of my Wrasses. When a tiny juvi they are ok, but as they grow you will have to monitor them.

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
Hello! I have a question about a specific fish. I just introduced a firefish about 4 days ago. He immediately went and hid in my rock work. Ive only gotten him to come out twice when feeding. Is it typical of firefish to hide like this? Ive always seen them out and about in tanks. Params are all fine and he made it through QT like a champ. Is he just nervous?

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a question about a specific fish. I just introduced a firefish about 4 days ago. He immediately went and hid in my rock work. Ive only gotten him to come out twice when feeding. Is it typical of firefish to hide like this? Ive always seen them out and about in tanks. Params are all fine and he made it through QT like a champ. Is he just nervous?
Mine is seldom seen except during feeding, and is in a tank with other peaceful fish. Never really leaves his cave. I'd say it's probably normal behavior.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my beloved Quoyi Parrot. I need to up my bioload

8’ 150g with Cow, Box, Clown, and Gem. Full reef, bare bottom

Open to adding many small fish or one or two big messy guys. What to add?!?!? Any “group” of wrasses I can add? Anthias? I gravitate towards unique shaped fish, etc.

George Villasenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy just setup a sps tank dominated by acropora at the moment, 60 gallon cube, currently stocked with a potters angel and a gold midas blenny. Have any recommendations for a 'schooling' fish, preferably a small species of fish. And for pest control just in case I do get pests what's a good option that's not a wrasse?

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of purchasing the last few pieces for my tank and I wanted to also get started on working out a stock list for my tank.

The tank is a 75g. Obviously what I would like to put in the tank and what can go in there safely is two diff things. My list below is what I would like to have over the long term and def not right away.

Yellow Tang or Kole Tang
2 x clowns (Black Ice / Snowflake clowns)

Firefish Goby
Purple Firefish Goby
Orchid Dottyback
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Yellow watchman
Sixline Wrasse or MCCOSKER'S FLASHER WRASSE
Flame Angel
Pygmy Angelfish
3 x Royal Gramma

Possible List
2 x cardinalfish or Pajamas
Group of Azure Damselfish

2 x Pistol Shrimp
Blue Maxima Clam
Bubble tip anemone

Live Aquaria Cleaner package
Package Contains
15 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
15 Astraea Turbo Snails
30 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab or
Fighting Conch
1 Arrow Crab
2 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
10 Nassarius Snails

Eventually - after 8+ months of pod seeding
2 x Mandarin Dragonets's m/f
I would probably go for a kole tang instead of a yellow tang. Royal grammas are notoriously bad with others of their kind so I would go with one. Two dwarf angels in one tank is kinda pushing it but you could give it a go. I hope this helps

Back