Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been thinking and researching, what about this list for the 110gal?
NameQty
Ocellaris Clown2
Royal grama1
Kaudens Cardenal2
Yellow Tang1
Firefish goby2
Flame angel1
Bicolor bleny1
Pajama Cardinal3
One spot foxface1
Clown goby citrinis1
Jawfish yellowhead2
Fairy Wrasse3

I don’t see any problems. You’ve obviously put a lot of thought into this. Good luck

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back in to reef keeping. I set up a IM Fusion 10, it cycling now. It’s very near ready to begin stocking. The plan is to stock fish first, then make the water ready and stable for corals.

i likely will only put a couple fish in this in the tank. I’m considering a dwarf lion fish and a clown fish of some variety, unsure of which yet. Does anyone see a potentia issue with these fish.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for one more fish for my 75 gallon reef tank.
Current stock:
1 Spotcintus Clown
1 BristleTooth Tang. 5"
1 Blue spotted watchman Goby
1 Wheeler's goby and his pistol shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bellus Angel
2 PJ cardinal fish
3 Zebra Barred Dartfish

Only aggression ever seen would be angel chasing Cardinals
And the Tang did not like my now deceased Lawnmower blenny. But Tang is buddy with watchman Goby. Think it was a herbivore thing.

Never had good luck with Fairy or flasher wrasses.

Open to all suggestions. Just needs to be reef safe. And at least semi-aggressive to deal with Tang?
Thanks

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 180 gallon with a powder brown. Could I do 4 yellow clo n gobies? I see it says they may fight in smaller aquariums any experience in theaefiah Tia

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back in to reef keeping. I set up a IM Fusion 10, it cycling now. It’s very near ready to begin stocking. The plan is to stock fish first, then make the water ready and stable for corals.

i likely will only put a couple fish in this in the tank. I’m considering a dwarf lion fish and a clown fish of some variety, unsure of which yet. Does anyone see a potentia issue with these fish.

A smaller clown species should be fine, but definitely not the dwarf lionfish. For a 10g system, I wouldn't stock anything that gets over 3" max size; a DLF is 7" at max.

Unless of course you have a larger tank you are planning to move grow-out fish to.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for one more fish for my 75 gallon reef tank.
Current stock:
1 Spotcintus Clown
1 BristleTooth Tang. 5"
1 Blue spotted watchman Goby
1 Wheeler's goby and his pistol shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bellus Angel
2 PJ cardinal fish
3 Zebra Barred Dartfish

Only aggression ever seen would be angel chasing Cardinals
And the Tang did not like my now deceased Lawnmower blenny. But Tang is buddy with watchman Goby. Think it was a herbivore thing.

Never had good luck with Fairy or flasher wrasses.

Open to all suggestions. Just needs to be reef safe. And at least semi-aggressive to deal with Tang?
Thanks

Possibly a second, noticeably smaller (or larger) Spotcinctus clown. A pair would be nice.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smaller clown species should be fine, but definitely not the dwarf lionfish. For a 10g system, I wouldn't stock anything that gets over 3" max size; a DLF is 7" at max.

Unless of course you have a larger tank you are planning to move grow-out fish to.

I will likely move to a 20 later in the year. Way back on the day, when small reefs were said to be impossible to keep; I had a dwarf lion in a 5 gallon for a while. It did fine in the 5, however; it was very likely a juvenile. I don’t remember it was so long ago. I know it was in there for at least a year.

leheath8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved and had to sell my 75g with 55g sump. Have now set up RedSea Reefer 170 Deluxe and my new house. It's been a long time since I've had a smaller tank, so not sure about fish stocking levels. Tank will be a mixed reef with mostly softies and LPS. No plans or interest in SPS. Decent skimmer install and will eventually add algal scrubber or refugium in the sump (haven't decided which yet).

I currently have 1 pair of clown fish and 1 Lubbock's wrasse. Will eventually add one or a pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp.

Can I add anything more? If yes, any suggestions? Was thinking maybe a Banggai Cardinal? Or maybe something blue? Looking to provide a nice contrast with the purple and orange of the current fish...

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved and had to sell my 75g with 55g sump. Have now set up RedSea Reefer 170 Deluxe and my new house. It's been a long time since I've had a smaller tank, so not sure about fish stocking levels. Tank will be a mixed reef with mostly softies and LPS. No plans or interest in SPS. Decent skimmer install and will eventually add algal scrubber or refugium in the sump (haven't decided which yet).

I currently have 1 pair of clown fish and 1 Lubbock's wrasse. Will eventually add one or a pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp.

Can I add anything more? If yes, any suggestions? Was thinking maybe a Banggai Cardinal? Or maybe something blue? Looking to provide a nice contrast with the purple and orange of the current fish...

You should be fine with adding the cardinal, but I would only get one goby with a shrimp. Gobies don't typically get along with each other.

You could also skip the pistol shrimp and get a tailspot blenny (great personalities) instead of a goby; and then add a skunk cleaner shrimp or a blood red fire shrimp.

leheath8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Infidel. Interesting that gobies don't tend to get along - my previous tank had a male/female pair that lived very happily with their pistol shrimp. I introduced 2 yellow watchman gobies and they became a mated pair - guess I got lucky! :D I will investigate the blennies - never had one, but read good things. However, as a biologist I do like the symbiotic relationship between the gobies and their shrimp! :)

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Infidel. Interesting that gobies don't tend to get along - my previous tank had a male/female pair that lived very happily with their pistol shrimp. I introduced 2 yellow watchman gobies and they became a mated pair - guess I got lucky! :D I will investigate the blennies - never had one, but read good things. However, as a biologist I do like the symbiotic relationship between the gobies and their shrimp! :)

No problem. If conspecific gobies form into a pair, you are good to go, but if not paired (especially different genera), then there can be trouble.

bdbautobot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m moving my 6 year old 30g into a FOWLR 125g. The 30g currently contains an ocellaris clown, a blue damsel, a three stripe damsel, an algae blenny and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I was hoping to add a coral beauty and/or a flame angel to the tank once I get everyone else transferred over first, but I don’t really have any experience with angels. I’ve been doing a lot of research but I keep finding mixed results when it comes to my current fish and also potentially doing more than one angel. If not the angel, are there any other fish you’d recommend that could go with my current fish? I have yet to move them over so I still have control over the order of adding them.

I was also half way interested in a puffer, but I’m thinking that I might do a separate tank for that over the summer, I’m worried I wouldn’t be able to give them the right food without breeding my own shrimp and snails.

thank you!

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a diamond lawnmower get along with a tailspot or star blenny?

It's possible that blennies can get along with each other, but they can also have issues. Outside of pairs, the typical types to get along have different roles/diets (e.g., carnivores, herbivores, sand sifters, etc.). A large system with plenty of territory can also curb aggression.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m moving my 6 year old 30g into a FOWLR 125g. The 30g currently contains an ocellaris clown, a blue damsel, a three stripe damsel, an algae blenny and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I was hoping to add a coral beauty and/or a flame angel to the tank once I get everyone else transferred over first, but I don’t really have any experience with angels. I’ve been doing a lot of research but I keep finding mixed results when it comes to my current fish and also potentially doing more than one angel. If not the angel, are there any other fish you’d recommend that could go with my current fish? I have yet to move them over so I still have control over the order of adding them.

I was also half way interested in a puffer, but I’m thinking that I might do a separate tank for that over the summer, I’m worried I wouldn’t be able to give them the right food without breeding my own shrimp and snails.

thank you!

Dwarf Angels can be mixed if you introduce them at the same time and/or you have plenty of room in your system. If there is aggression, you can try relocating the aggressor to a quarantine tank for several days and try to introduce it again later, or you could put each one in an acclimation box until they get used to each other.

If it was my 125g and I was keeping your current stock list, I would get another Ocellaris clown as well as an Orchid Dottyback, a Longnose Hawkfish, a Lantern Bass, a Tomini Tang, a Potter's Angel, a Lemonpeel or Bicolor Angel, and a Four or Six-Line Wrasse. You could probably even add coral later, but you would have to initially keep an eye on the Angels. Of course you would also need to feed an omnivorous diet to the tank.

You should research anything you are interested in and also ensure that future additions can deal with the aggression of that three stripe damsel.

princesspeach12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I LOVE six line wrasses.

Unfortunately, my apartment only allows 20 gallon aquariums.

I found a 36" 22 gallon (Mr. Aqua and Aquamaxx) however.

If a sixline is kept as the *only* fish, would this be a large enough tank for them?

Or if a 20 gallon long (which is 30" long of course) would be suitable as well?

I'm uncertain if it is cruel to keep such an active fish in such a small space! Or if they are okay to be kept alone?

(I would be adopting one that is currently in a smaller tank, so upgrading them at least)

This would be a reef tank with lots of soft corals and live rock, running for 6+ months before adding.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I LOVE six line wrasses.

Unfortunately, my apartment only allows 20 gallon aquariums.

I found a 36" 22 gallon (Mr. Aqua and Aquamaxx) however.

If a sixline is kept as the *only* fish, would this be a large enough tank for them?

Or if a 20 gallon long (which is 30" long of course) would be suitable as well?

I'm uncertain if it is cruel to keep such an active fish in such a small space! Or if they are okay to be kept alone?

(I would be adopting one that is currently in a smaller tank, so upgrading them at least)

This would be a reef tank with lots of soft corals and live rock, running for 6+ months before adding.

A Six-Line should be fine in a 20-22 gallon with long dimensions. Just make sure to get some sort of cover/mesh top as they can be jumpers.

jmcbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just finished cycling a JBJ45 and about to start adding fish and clean up crew.
Fish plan is:
A couple ocellaris clowns
Bar Goby
Royal Gamma
Bangaii Cardinals

Any suggestions on order to add and if you see any problems? Would also like to hear any suggested changes please. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Therich84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon cube. Right now I have a small pair of clowns in there. In a month I will have a melanarus wrasse also. I was thinking of adding a flame hawk fish and a small angel to the mix in the future. Thinking coral beauty or cherub. Does this sound feasible? Thanks

showmebutterfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am downsizing from 65 gallons to 29 gallons and currently have an ocellaris clownfish, an orbiculate cardinalfish, emerald crab, small hermit crab, astrea snails, a few euphyllia and a small duncan. The new tank has an HOB filter for running carbon and / or Phosguard (as needed), no sump and plenty of live rock. I will be adding a nano skimmer.
I have not moved either of my fish over yet, as I would like to add some new ones, but am concerned about order in which they should be added.
Fish I am considering: royal gramma, azure damsel, lawnmower or other combtooth blenny. I've thought about adding a 2nd clownfish, but the one I have lost it's mate of 4 years over the summer and I'm not sure it would take well to me introducing it to a new clownfish.
Anyway, I think that's everything. TYIA for advice.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back