Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. For my new 30G SPS barebottom tank,
I will running it with high flow, hybrid light 12 hours photo period.

Need some suggestion for the fish stock list.
I try not to start with ocellaris this time as the pair would be territorial.

Thanks folks.

Christam1433

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 45 gal bow front tank that is currently set up as FOWLR. I eventually want to add corals, but I want a different tank first (this one makes me dizzy to look at the curved glass, so replacement is a must, soon). I currently have two o.clowns, and a leopard wrasse. I would like to add a blenny (midas?) or maybe a jawfish.... a purple firefish, a flame angel, and hopefully maybe eventually ( a year or more from now) a mandarin dragonette... Any suggestions??

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 300L tank and just wanted some help with what corals to get.
At the moment I have: anemone, Zoas, Palys, birds nest, Montipora, pulsing xenia, Kenya tree, hammer coral, torch, and a toadstool all are smallfrags.
Are there any other corals that are pretty easy to keep and have nice colours maybe some red or blue. Thanks in advance

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 300L tank and just wanted some help with what corals to get.
At the moment I have: anemone, Zoas, Palys, birds nest, Montipora, pulsing xenia, Kenya tree, hammer coral, torch, and a toadstool all are smallfrags.
Are there any other corals that are pretty easy to keep and have nice colours maybe some red or blue. Thanks in advance

Acans would fit the bill.

bigpa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon with just a pair of clowns and their anemone, and was wondering if i bought a small yellow tang (just bigger than a quarter or so) would he do alright for a 1 year and half? I am leaning toward no and i dont want to cause any unneccessary stress for the fish. My plan is to upgrade to a 55 long or a 75 in in a year and a half.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon with just a pair of clowns and their anemone, and was wondering if i bought a small yellow tang (just bigger than a quarter or so) would he do alright for a 1 year and half? I am leaning toward no and i dont want to cause any unneccessary stress for the fish. My plan is to upgrade to a 55 long or a 75 in in a year and a half.
I would hold off till you did the upgrade, they grow slow, but a 20 gallon does not have a lot of swimming room even for a juvenile. They are very active once they are used to their surroundings. Will cause a lot of stress in a fish that is already prone to stress related diseases to be in such a small tank for 1.5 years. For the 75 for a permanent home i would look at bristletooth tangs instead of a yellow personally.

bigpa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off till you did the upgrade, they grow slow, but a 20 gallon does not have a lot of swimming room even for a juvenile. They are very active once they are used to their surroundings. Will cause a lot of stress in a fish that is already prone to stress related diseases to be in such a small tank for 1.5 years.

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice!

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45g Red Sea Max E-170

Am I going to overload my system?
Will my fish get along?

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 black cap basslet
1 Midas Blenny
1 Diamond Watchman goby
1 clown goby (yellow)
1 clown goby (green)
2 Kauden Cardinalfish

Any advice is appreciated!

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45g Red Sea Max E-170

Am I going to overload my system?
Will my fish get along?

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 black cap basslet
1 Midas Blenny
1 Diamond Watchman goby
1 clown goby (yellow)
1 clown goby (green)
2 Kauden Cardinalfish

Any advice is appreciated!

That list should be fine in a 45g. Just keep the parameters stable and keep up with maintenance. Also think about getting a lid on your system.

Blennies/Gobies can have issues if not paired up, but if they have different roles in the tank, there shouldn't be any problems. I don't see a problem with your list as long as you add the clown gobies together.

anthonyhdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That list should be fine in a 45g. Just keep the parameters stable and keep up with maintenance. Also think about getting a lid on your system.

Blennies/Gobies can have issues if not paired up, but if they have different roles in the tank, there shouldn't be any problems. I don't see a problem with your list as long as you add the clown gobies together.
the 2 clown gobies will be in a divided 10g quarantine tank, is this going to be a problem in my main tank?

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 2 clown gobies will be in a divided 10g quarantine tank, is this going to be a problem in my main tank?

It could be, or it could be fine; observe how they act towards each other in QT. Clown gobies are bidirectional hermaphrodites. If they are the same sex and decide to pair up, one will change sex so there is a female/male pair.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be, or it could be fine; observe how they act towards each other in QT. Clown gobies are bidirectional hermaphrodites. If they are the same sex and decide to pair up, one will change sex so there is a female/male pair.
+1 and I believe adding them together at the same time will likely help

Kresimir_72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have 5 months old reef with few soft corals and two ocellaris, fox and gramma loreto...there is also two scarlet skunk, two peppermint shrimp and few neritas and trochus snails. I would like to add few more fishes but I'm not sure would it be ok. I'm interested in some tangs, wrase, two more clowns (diferent than this I have) and some cleaner crew (sand and algae)..... Any advice, sugestion....?
Tnx

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
Hello everyone! I was wondering what everyones with having a firefish, purple dottyback and royal gramma together? My tank is a 40b. The firefish has his cave and the dotty just hangs around the tank till bedtime and finds a crevice to sleep in. Do you think these 3 would be alright together?

drknudsenx2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about jaw fish- I think they are very cool fish, and am interested in keeping 1 (or maybe a pair) down the road. I will be aquascaping and adding sand this weekend, and I know they prefer deeper sand beds. I was only wanting to put in 1-1 1/2" of sand, will this suffice for a jaw fish? Will they come in and move sand around to make a home? Or is it possible to make a semi-deeper mound of sand around one of my larger base rocks? I am hesitant to get into DSB territory, and want to stick to the 1-1 1/2" sand bed for long term sustainability. I will not be upset if this will not be a good home for the jaw fish, but would love to be able to add them in at some point. Thanks!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I was wondering what everyones with having a firefish, purple dottyback and royal gramma together? My tank is a 40b. The firefish has his cave and the dotty just hangs around the tank till bedtime and finds a crevice to sleep in. Do you think these 3 would be alright together?
I would not put a dottyback in that tank. Would add the fire fish before the royal gramma and let him pick a territory free from aggression.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no set timeframe for an upgrade and don’t really want to be pressured into one by growing fish. I was just planning on seeing how my corals grew and then deciding if I was upgrading to give them more space or whether to just frag them or change them out.

I think you’re just confirming my thoughts that 13.5 gallon is simply too small for fish.

I‘ve just watched a video of someone diving and some clownfish and have realised just how large they get. I was nuts to even consider it!
13 gallon is not too small for fish, it’s just the fish are VERY limited that could be put in there and not outgrow the tank.
I loved my Green Clown Goby in my 10gal.
Tailspot Blenny’s are awesome. Also a Royal Gramma May be cool too because they like a hiding spot and don’t seem to need a big tank.
I think another benefit is your corals may do better with 1 or 2 small fish. Mine did better with fish. I think the fish waste was nutrients for them.

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
Can lettus sea slugs and scarlet cleaner shrimp be kept together?

thenanoreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! First post here but frequent reader. I am on week two of cycling my 24g JBJ Nanocube. Looking for suggestions/order of introduction for some fish that would fit well in my tank. I would definitely like 2 clowns, but am willing to take suggestions for some fish besides them!

Benj2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some suggestions on fish. I have a 120 gallon tank that currently has a Carpenter Wrasse, McCosker wrasse, Yellow Watchman goby with pistol shrimp, and a Banggai cardinal. I am planning on getting a purple firefish and a Royal Gramma next. I am planning a reeftank with various corals as my skills progress in that area as well as a variety of shrimp as I find them interesting.

Any suggestions for other fish I could add?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back