Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank info: 5x2x2 139gallon total volume
Mix of SPS, LPS, clam(perhaps)

Wish list of fish:
Tang: Hippo tang, yellow tang, powder blue tang - Can I, should I? especially the hippo
Copperband buttefly x1
Regal angelfish x1 - Can I, should I?

Ocellaris clown x 2
Kaudern's Cardinal x1
Sailfin blenny x1
Azure damsel x 3-4
Mandarin dragonet x1
Royal Gramma x1
Two spot gobyx1 + pistol shrimpx1
Firefish x2
Leopard vs Six line wrasse x1
Black molly "test-pilot program"

My concerns: hippo tangs and regal angelfish - both are quite "fragile" and difficult to keep
Gluttony alert: Can I perhaps add anthias

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! First post here but frequent reader. I am on week two of cycling my 24g JBJ Nanocube. Looking for suggestions/order of introduction for some fish that would fit well in my tank. I would definitely like 2 clowns, but am willing to take suggestions for some fish besides them!
In a 24 gallon i would look at one additional fish.
My choices would be one of the following
fire fish
Pink streaked wrasse
Royal gramma
Clown goby
1 or 2 barnacle blennys
But there are other nano fish as well :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some suggestions on fish. I have a 120 gallon tank that currently has a Carpenter Wrasse, McCosker wrasse, Yellow Watchman goby with pistol shrimp, and a Banggai cardinal. I am planning on getting a purple firefish and a Royal Gramma next. I am planning a reeftank with various corals as my skills progress in that area as well as a variety of shrimp as I find them interesting.

Any suggestions for other fish I could add?
Reef safe options
Bristletooth tang or a yellow tang
Clownfish
Fairy wrasses
Pyramid butterflyfish

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank info: 5x2x2 139gallon total volume
Mix of SPS, LPS, clam(perhaps)
Going to answer in your post

Wish list of fish:
Tang: Hippo tang, yellow tang, powder blue tang - Can I, should I? especially the hippo
Copperband buttefly x1
Regal angelfish x1 - Can I, should I?
Hippo Tang will eventually outgrow the tank, they grow fast their first year and slow down a little after that but at a foot long mature would look at 180 or larger.
Yellow and powder blue are fine, add together no tangs after you add a PBB. Add last to the tank.
Both copperband and regals can nip clams and corals. If ok with that, add close to first so they can settle in before more agressive fish are added. Live black worms, clams on a half shell can help with getting them to eat at first:

Ocellaris clown x 2 fine
Kaudern's Cardinal x1 fine
Sailfin blenny x1 fine
Azure damsel x 3-4
Mandarin dragonet x1 let tank mature before adding at least 6 months
Royal Gramma x1 fine
Two spot gobyx1 + pistol shrimpx1
Firefish x2 only one, same sex will kill the other, no way to tell sex.
Leopard vs Six line wrasse x1 would skip the six line get very aggressive as they age.
Black molly "test-pilot program"
do you mean for qt test?
My concerns: hippo tangs and regal angelfish - both are quite "fragile" and difficult to keep
both the copper band and regal are difficult to acclimate. They are both peaceful and hard to get eating. If lucky enough buy in person and make sure they eat at the store.
Gluttony alert: Can I perhaps add anthias
can swap out the damsels here if wished to go that direction.

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a number of freshwater tanks but (30 gal, 150 gal/ 55 gal sump and a 55 gal. I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I have a 75 gallon tank with a sump for a 200 gallon tank. (probably 30 gallon). I'm adding a protein skimmer shortly. The tank is still cycling but I wanted to get an idea of what I can add in the future. I have a few small fish in the tank to start the cycling. I figure i have another 4 weeks to full cycle as my readings are starting to change.

Right now I have:

40 lbs of rock
30 lbs of live rock
live sand
1 anemone
1 clown fish
1 goby
2 damsels
1 wrasse (got free...was in one of the rocks :)
1 coral shrimp

PH is 8.0
Salinity 1.023 to 1.025
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 0

I know these numbers are still cycling but I'm just trying to get an understanding for the future.

Everything seems to be cycling fine and the fish are all doing well. What can I add in the future that is compatible with these fish? I want to keep this a community tank, no coral. I would like to get a few fish that remain small just to keep the tank active.

What does everyone recommend?
How much rock do I need in the tank?
Am I missing something else in here?

Thanks Johnny

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a number of freshwater tanks but (30 gal, 150 gal/ 55 gal sump and a 55 gal. I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I have a 75 gallon tank with a sump for a 200 gallon tank. (probably 30 gallon). I'm adding a protein skimmer shortly. The tank is still cycling but I wanted to get an idea of what I can add in the future. I have a few small fish in the tank to start the cycling. I figure i have another 4 weeks to full cycle as my readings are starting to change.

Right now I have:

40 lbs of rock
30 lbs of live rock
live sand
1 anemone
1 clown fish
1 goby
2 damsels
1 wrasse (got free...was in one of the rocks :)
1 coral shrimp

PH is 8.0
Salinity 1.023 to 1.025
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 0

I know these numbers are still cycling but I'm just trying to get an understanding for the future.

Everything seems to be cycling fine and the fish are all doing well. What can I add in the future that is compatible with these fish? I want to keep this a community tank, no coral. I would like to get a few fish that remain small just to keep the tank active.

What does everyone recommend?
How much rock do I need in the tank?
Am I missing something else in here?

Thanks Johnny
In saltwater i would generally advise against fish in cycling for the future. So i would hold off on adding any additional fish or inverts.
Some will begin to experience ammonia toxicity at only .1 ppm.
Anemones in particular do not do well in even cycled new tanks:

But will need to know type of wrasse, clown and damsels. To advise on what to add When your cycle is done.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, All. I have a question for you. I have a midas blenny and am thinking about adding a sailfin algae blenny, as I have a good amount of algae I'd like to get rid of. I just want to make sure they'll get along.

I have a 75g FOWLR, no corals yet, with live sand. My tank has been up and running for 8 months now. I have it stocked as follows:
2 little osc. clowns
1 royal gramma
1 banghai cardinal
1 springeri Damsel
1 small midas blenny
1 little diamond goby (haven't seen him, tho, since the first night - presumably hiding in extensive rockwork and sand)
1 lemon peel dwarf angel coming out of QT Thurs.
A few various snails, scarlet hermits, and blue legged hermits, and a cleaner shrimp

Not sure if I should get some heavy hitter snails for the algae or if the addition of the lemon peel will take care of the algae, or if I should add the algae blenny.

It's not hair algae, just the greenish-brownish stuff on the rocks.

Any advice is appreciated! TYIA!

Johnnyv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the unit that I built around the tank. Sump is below.

saltwater tank.jpg

so after a little research on saltwater fish.
damsel.jpg
clown.jpg

1 purple spotty back wrasse
1 ocellaris clown fish (more maroon color)
2 electric blue damsels
1 goby (not sure what kind but a dark brown color that blends into the rocks)

So my numbers changed slightly. As of this evening my readings are:

PH is 8.0
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia < .25 (closer to 0)
Nitrate >0 (slightly above 0)
Nitrite 0

How do invertebrates affect the tank? I assume differently than the fish as far as changing water parameters but was not sure exactly how they change the water quality.

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Johnnyv49
Damsel looks like an azure damsel which are less aggressive than many others in the family.
The clown is a maroon,
The maroon clown is probably the most aggressive anemone fish we keep in the hobby.

I would return the anemone, your current lighting will not be enough to support it.
When ready to move to sessile inverts you can post a thread in general reef keeping forum and will get more answers than this thread :)
Inverts add waste, but not nearly as much as fish. They are more sensitive to water chemistry than fish though.

Fish i would look at in the future with your current live stock and tank size, would be semi aggressive fish.

Smaller Halichoeres wrasses, like a yellow or melanurus wrasse.
1 Dwarf angel or 1 Bristletooth tang
Are three that pop in my head
Saltwater fish are more territorial than freshwater fish, so stocking is always a bit lower.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, All. I have a question for you. I have a midas blenny and am thinking about adding a sailfin algae blenny, as I have a good amount of algae I'd like to get rid of. I just want to make sure they'll get along.

I have a 75g FOWLR, no corals yet, with live sand. My tank has been up and running for 8 months now. I have it stocked as follows:
2 little osc. clowns
1 royal gramma
1 banghai cardinal
1 springeri Damsel
1 small midas blenny
1 little diamond goby (haven't seen him, tho, since the first night - presumably hiding in extensive rockwork and sand)
1 lemon peel dwarf angel coming out of QT Thurs.
A few various snails, scarlet hermits, and blue legged hermits, and a cleaner shrimp

Not sure if I should get some heavy hitter snails for the algae or if the addition of the lemon peel will take care of the algae, or if I should add the algae blenny.

It's not hair algae, just the greenish-brownish stuff on the rocks.

Any advice is appreciated! TYIA!
In a 75 i would stay with the lemon peel. Both can be territorial to other algae eaters. And i wouldnt chance having both in such a small footprint. Snails are a fine way to go.

MarSch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 33G fish only tank, currently part way through its first fishless cycle.

This is the stock list I'm thinking of:
Clownfish x 2
Bangaii Cardinal x 1
Chromis x 6
Firefish x 1
Crested Blenny x 1 <- NZ native fish (https://aquariumworld.nz/databases/10-marine/210-Crested-Blenny.)

CUC:
Cushion Star fish x 2 <- NZ native (https://aquariumworld.nz/databases/10-marine/250-Starfish---Cushion-Star-)
Cleaner shrimp x 1
Turbo snail x 1

Too many fish?
Is that enough for a CUC?
Any other thoughts/advice?

hallojanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently planning a 35 gallon shallow reef tank (29.5" x 19.5" x 14.5") with 3 LIverock islands with lots of caves

I would like to stock the tank with the following fish:

2x Ocellaris Clownfish
1x Lubbocks Wrasse
1x Royal Gramma
1x Yellow Watchmangoby
1x Flaco Hawkfish

Do you have any concerns or advice?

King Regards,
Janno

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, when I first started my tank 3 years ago (150 gallon) I purchased a powder blue Tang and within 10 days it had Ich or Velvet and rapidly declined and died, and then my snowflake clowns died also. Diamond goby survived. It was my fault, I didn't quarantine. Fast Forward 3 years to today. I have quarantined everything except a mandarin goby and purple goby. I have a mature Reef with nice fish and the only fish I have lost since were 2 diamond gobies who jumped out and a copper band (in tank for 7 months) who I learned wasn't fed enough.

My question- should I go for a powder blue again? This time it would be from divers den + 1 month QT. Or should I not risk it?

Maybe just a baby purple tang?

fish I have right now

1. 2 clowns
2. carribean pygmy angel
3. flamehawk
4. large foxface
5. 4 inch blue jaw trigger
6. blue star wrasse
7. yellow banded wrasse
8. purple goby
9. firefish
10. diamond goby
11. mandarin goby
12. bicolor blenny
13. copperband butterfly
14. resplendent anthias

ReluctantIM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just bought my first saltwater tank after several years of freshwater fishkeeping. I got a Red Sea 750 xxl, figured start big since I want fish that need room. I've read a ton and wanted to see if this fish list was in the right order of introduction, and not too much for the 160g display/200g overall tank. thanks!

2 clownfish
tailspot blenny for algae
diamond watchman goby
magnificent foxface
2-3 fairy wrasse
purple tang, naso tang, desjardini sailfin - try to introduce at the same time
blue throat trigger fish
male and female spotbreast angelfish

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aspiring aquarist, complete noob. I am thinking of either a 40-gallon or 75-gallon FOWR / LR setup. As a complete novice, I am not really looking for overly exotic or fancy species. My current criteria is: "Tanky" / hardy, forgiving, reliable.

Currently my prime candidate for my first fish once my tank has finished cycling is a pair of Ocellaris / True Percula / Clarkii's / Saddleback Clownfish. If I take availability into consideration they'll most likely be a pair of Ocellaris or True Percula.

I do not know if there are any other good options for first fish to introduce to a newly cycled aquarium, so I'd appreciate suggestions.

Some other fish I'd be interested in:
-Pygmy Angelfish (Coral Beauty / Flame Angelfish)
-Blue Green Reef Chromis (I've read conflicting advice on whether they can be kept solo, and some say in schools they kill each other)
-A Fairy Wrasse (any kind as long as it's easy to keep for complete beginners)
-Sailfin / Algae Blenny
-Yellowtail Blue / Blue Devil Damselfish
-Basslets (including the Royal Gramma)
-Firefish (Red / Purple) and Watchman / Neon Gobies
-Banggai's / Pajama Cardinalfish
-Auriga's / Klein's Butteflyfish / Bannerfish (False Moorish Idol)

Affirmation, critique would be welcome. I'm a soon-to-be Asian aquarist who will likely set up my tank in a developing Asian country (China or PH). I worry about the availability of frozen food for species that might require it and I don't know which species readily accept marine flakes / dried food or are OK without another food source. Of course I can try to order on Amazon or EBay from a Western country, I just want to give the fish I'll be keeping the best diet and environment possible.

As for upgrading to a reef tank, I'm not sure at this point about the practicality of it because I'm on a budget so a low maintenance setup would be ideal. In the future, if my situation permits, upgrading to a reef tank would not be out of the question but for now I just want to get my feet wet with a fairly basic FOWR / LR setup with hardy and undemanding species. I'd also like to get a cleaning crew of inverts, so I'd also appreciate suggestions on that.

Sorry for the novel.

I'm aware that I should probably not mix fish with different temperaments together. To my own knowledge, these species that I've looked up are mostly peaceful but I could be wrong.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aspiring aquarist, complete noob. I am thinking of either a 40-gallon or 75-gallon FOWR / LR setup. As a complete novice, I am not really looking for overly exotic or fancy species. My current criteria is: "Tanky" / hardy, forgiving, reliable.

Currently my prime candidate for my first fish once my tank has finished cycling is a pair of Ocellaris / True Percula / Clarkii's / Saddleback Clownfish. If I take availability into consideration they'll most likely be a pair of Ocellaris or True Percula.

I do not know if there are any other good options for first fish to introduce to a newly cycled aquarium, so I'd appreciate suggestions.

Some other fish I'd be interested in:
-Pygmy Angelfish (Coral Beauty / Flame Angelfish)
-Blue Green Reef Chromis (I've read conflicting advice on whether they can be kept solo, and some say in schools they kill each other)
-A Fairy Wrasse (any kind as long as it's easy to keep for complete beginners)
-Sailfin / Algae Blenny
-Yellowtail Blue / Blue Devil Damselfish
-Basslets (including the Royal Gramma)
-Firefish (Red / Purple) and Watchman / Neon Gobies
-Banggai's / Pajama Cardinalfish
-Auriga's / Klein's Butteflyfish / Bannerfish (False Moorish Idol)

Affirmation, critique would be welcome. I'm a soon-to-be Asian aquarist who will likely set up my tank in a developing Asian country (China or PH). I worry about the availability of frozen food for species that might require it and I don't know which species readily accept marine flakes / dried food or are OK without another food source. Of course I can try to order on Amazon or EBay from a Western country, I just want to give the fish I'll be keeping the best diet and environment possible.

As for upgrading to a reef tank, I'm not sure at this point about the practicality of it because I'm on a budget so a low maintenance setup would be ideal. In the future, if my situation permits, upgrading to a reef tank would not be out of the question but for now I just want to get my feet wet with a fairly basic FOWR / LR setup with hardy and undemanding species. I'd also like to get a cleaning crew of inverts, so I'd also appreciate suggestions on that.

Sorry for the novel.

I'm aware that I should probably not mix fish with different temperaments together. To my own knowledge, these species that I've looked up are mostly peaceful but I could be wrong.

Given your wish list of fish id suggest the 75 gallon.

If i had to chose from what you are looking at i would go.

-1 Pearl scale butterfly
- Pair of clowns
-royal gramma
-2 or 3 different species of fairy/flasher wrasses.
-You maybe able to add a dwarf angel to this as last fish added, just know some can be aggressive, and the above list is relatively peaceful.

An awesome thing about frozen fish food is a few dollars at the super market, a freezer, a knife and you have your own :). Id suggest a mixture of different foods, clams, fish fillets nori you can play around each time you make a batch. Freeze what you buy, chop with a sharp straight blade knife, mix together, freeze in a ziplock bag.

I would recommend the following being a new tank.
-Read up on cycling a tank
-Follow those steps
-Make sure no ammonia
-More reading
-Add the royal gramma as first fish.
-do some more reading on reef tank care
-Wait several weeks reading about each fish and people who have kept them.
-Add the pearl scale(one of the least picky butterflies food wise. If healthy and uninjured they usually will eat once settled.
-wait several weeks
-Now can start adding wrasses, post a thread here to make sure the ones chosen work together. Some fairy wrasses are more aggressive than others, and do not want ones to closely related.
-more reading
-few more weeks can add the clown pair, the most aggressive of the fish list above.

Kali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a hi fin red banded goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) be kept in a bare bottom 10 gallon tank if it doesn’t have a shrimp buddy?

can 2 be kept happy?

Back