Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more thought, due to the possibility my apartment space may be quite limited, I might only be able to go with a 40-gallon FOWLR tank. If that's the case, how many fish should I ideally have, and which fish would be suitable for a tank of that size? If I put in two Ocellaris / Percula as my first fish, does that pretty much tie me to an aggressive / semi-aggressive tank?

marc76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys/gals,
First time poster.

I’m brand new to the hobby, and am just researching all I can before diving into my first tank.

I have a 60 gal tank, planning on getting two Marineland 350 hob filters. Already have a 10 gal qt set up and ready :)

My stocking plan is :
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 royal gramma
1 yellow clown goby
2 banggai cardinalfish
1 bigeye black bar soldierfish
3 blue reef chromis

Total length of fish is about 35-39”.
Think the 60 gal tank can handle that load, as long as they are added slowly (new fish after qt every 2 months or so)??

From what I’ve read, those fish should be pretty compatible. Not much info on the Bigeye Black Bar Cardinalfish, but I want some kind of red fish that isn’t aggressive... They seem to be mostly wrasses or fish not good for beginners.

Looking forward to this forum for lots of advice in the future!!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m happy I seen this thread! I recently posted a few questions on fish stocking list and no one responded ;Shifty

I’ve checked out mr saltwater tanks YouTube channel where he made a stocking list for a mega matrix 120. I am currently cycling a 6’ long 125gal that will be a mixed reef. Currently I have a few 10gal qt tanks that house a Midas blenny, 2 clowns, 2pj cardinals.

I love movement that fish give and would love some feedback! Also I have a yellow tang and purple tang in another tank.

593C3CFC-1157-4399-9017-44CAF9E3F15E.jpeg

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do need help picking my next fish. I am getting very close to a stopping point on fish for my reef tank. I want something big... colorful. My tank is a reef tank, first and foremost. 200 gal. It’s a fairly new tank.... up and running 9 weeks now.

the fish I have right now:

biggest fish is a a foxface
blue hippo tang
5 cardinal fish
6 clownfish
1 fairy wrasse
2 spotted eels

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do need help picking my next fish. I am getting very close to a stopping point on fish for my reef tank. I want something big... colorful. My tank is a reef tank, first and foremost. 200 gal. It’s a fairly new tank.... up and running 9 weeks now.

the fish I have right now:

biggest fish is a a foxface
blue hippo tang
5 cardinal fish
6 clownfish
1 fairy wrasse
2 spotted eels

I like a mated pair blue throat trigger fish for that size tank. I’m looking to get one myself!

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can.. with 9weeks cycling you might see an ammonia spike with such a high bioload fish.. those guys are on my stocking list too
Cycling as a term on this forum... I’m am not 100% certain what the term means.... if it means regular water changes, then I do one weekly... 10% Does cycling have a bigger meaning?

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can.. with 9weeks cycling you might see an ammonia spike with such a high bioload fish.. those guys are on my stocking list too
Okay so that just sunk in..... lol you sell fish : ) sweet!

I’ve never bought living marine organisms... much less fish online before. But i have been reading about it... it seems like a good way to get the fish I want and not just the fish “they have” either way... I am at least two weeks out for 2 reasons... it feels like I put a lot in my tank all at once already... I am trying to give everything time to adjust and 2... I am going on vacation next Monday. I won’t be on this continent for a week : )

do you have something I can read on how you ship the fish?

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so that just sunk in..... lol you sell fish : ) sweet!

I’ve never bought living marine organisms... much less fish online before. But i have been reading about it... it seems like a good way to get the fish I want and not just the fish “they have” either way... I am at least two weeks out for 2 reasons... it feels like I put a lot in my tank all at once already... I am trying to give everything time to adjust and 2... I am going on vacation next Monday. I won’t be on this continent for a week : )

do you have something I can read on how you ship the fish?
I think you may have misunderstood my previous conversation..

I do not sell fish, I was only providing an opinion to a fellow reefer.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I did like that fish last weekend. I almost got one! the that was there... he’d of been king of my tank... period. He was that much bigger than everything else. And... I saw a different fish that day... he wasn’t as big.. and I don’t know how big he would get, but I reallly like him... the one he had was already sold. This fish... I’ll try... long skinny snout... sort of angel fish shaped... not really... it was his color I like... this shiny, silver color... (I’ve been googling him for an hour : ) ) lol

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Enjoy your trip and let me know how you make out with your stocking list!
I just put this reply in the wrong place on your thread... sorry bruh!

Dude I did like that fish last weekend. I almost got one! the that was there... he’d of been king of my tank... period. He was that much bigger than everything else. And... I saw a different fish that day... he wasn’t as big.. and I don’t know how big he would get, but I reallly like him... the one he had was already sold. This fish... I’ll try... long skinny snout... sort of angel fish shaped... not really... it was his color I like... this shiny, silver color... (I’ve been googling him for an hour : ) ) lol

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I was wondering what everyones with having a firefish, purple dottyback and royal gramma together? My tank is a 40b. The firefish has his cave and the dotty just hangs around the tank till bedtime and finds a crevice to sleep in. Do you think these 3 would be alright together?
Update to this post, my dotty about killed the firefish one night. I caught her in a bottle trap amd banished her to the sump until I can get her back to LFS this weekend. Going to try my luck with a Royal Gramma. What would be some other reef safe smaller fish I could put in this tank?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to this post, my dotty about killed the firefish one night. I caught her in a bottle trap amd banished her to the sump until I can get her back to LFS this weekend. Going to try my luck with a Royal Gramma. What would be some other reef safe smaller fish I could put in this tank?
That stinks :(. I’m really sorry for your loss. I also had a dotty back kill a firefish once. I have had good luck with firefish and royal grammas though. There is a little chasing by the gramma at first, but it subsided pretty quickly and they don’t really bother each other now. Just try to add the firefish first if you go that route. I doubt that a dotty and gramma would get along. Is it possible that you have a strawberry dotttback that looks a lot like the orchid dottyback, bur is much more aggressive?

gmdcdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice. I would like to add a bottom dweller to my tank.
Red Sea 65g:
Current stock list:
2 percula clowns
1 Fiji Damsel
1 Royal Grama
1 Scooter Blenny

I was thinking of adding a goby or some other bottom dweller that will not bother the scooter blenny.

Any thoughts?
Gerry

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 65g:
Current stock list:
2 percula clowns
1 Fiji Damsel
1 Royal Grama
1 Scooter Blenny

I was thinking of adding a goby or some other bottom dweller that will not bother the scooter blenny.

Any thoughts?
Gerry
a yellow watchman goby would be a pretty safe pick. just make sure you're keeping your pod population high

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 65g:
Current stock list:
2 percula clowns
1 Fiji Damsel
1 Royal Grama
1 Scooter Blenny

Any thoughts?
Gerry

There are totally some cool goby fish you could get. A sand sifting goby if your tank is mature are neat. Clown gobys stay on the rocks and stay very small, but add some life around the rockwork of the tank.

Back