Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching your post since I just bought this same tank (it's still cycling) and my planned list looks very similar. My question is can I add a clam if a I have a pistol shrimp/goby pair or will the shrimp bother the clam?

I don't think a pistol shrimp would. While mine definitely buries the occasional coral on the sand bed or will move loose frags, it doesn't pick at anything. Now my cleaner shrimp on the other hand definitely picks at corals, feather dusters and my Coco worm. I would not feel safe putting a clam in the tank with him.

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a pistol shrimp would. While mine definitely buries the occasional coral on the sand bed or will move loose frags, it doesn't pick at anything. Now my cleaner shrimp on the other hand definitely picks at corals, feather dusters and my Coco worm. I definitely would not feel safe putting a clam in the tank with him.
Thanks! My new tank is new so I am still planning what to put in it. I won't get a cleaner shrimp then and I will take out the blue-legged hermit crabs when I get a clam. Right now they are helping cycle the tank. It the final stages I think! My first buy will probably be a pair of clowns. Do you know how long I should wait to buy the bubble tip to go with them? I am guessing a few months to ensure the tank is stable.

Keeper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently got my first saltwater tank after years of research. I have a jbj 65 gallon tank 36x21x20 with 60 lbs live rock and sand. Filtration is all biological with water changes. I have two filter socks and with my next fish I'm looking to get a protein skimmer. (Any suggestions as well?)
My current stock is- 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 yellow watchman goby, and 1 pygmy angelfish (Centropyge argi)
I'd like to add a bicolor blenny, flame hawkfish, melanurus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus), and a valentini puffer to complete the stock
I've heard conflicting things about the blenny and flame together as they both dwell on the rocks. And something tells me the wrasse and puffer won't be smart together in the long run.
Thanks for the help I just don't want the fish to suffer

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My new tank is new so I am still planning what to put in it. I won't get a cleaner shrimp then and I will take out the blue-legged hermit crabs when I get a clam. Right now they are helping cycle the tank. It the final stages I think! My first buy will probably be a pair of clowns. Do you know how long I should wait to buy the bubble tip to go with them? I am guessing a few months to ensure the tank is stable.

I've read the general rule of thumb is to wait 6 months before getting an anemone. However, you should put them in before adding too much coral so they can find a spot they like and settle in.

elongate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox Cube 20

2 clowns
1 ORA Elongate Dottyback
1 Pink Streaked Wrasse
4 Sexy shrimp
possibly a Goby/shrimp combo

Thoughts?

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted already on my own thread but I found this one dedicated to helping choose fish so I'll try again here to see if I get anything different and interesting. My hunt is because I have a azure damsel that has gone rogue in my tank. I was told he would be a peaceful add to my tank....Well about a year later he has started to take over my tank. My midas blenny was run down by it and now that the blenny is gone it is going after my coral beauty (they are about the same size). Currently fishing/trapping the damsel at the moment.

Details:
56 gallon tank running for about 2 years, softie coral, snail only CUC https://www.reefcleaners.org/store/quick-crew-28-bowfront-detail (they seem to be keeping my tank clean so I will wait to add more), and a cleaner shrimp. Looking for reef safe fish.

So here is what I have currently in my tank or soon to have:
2 clowns
1 firefish
1 coral beauty angel
1 Midas Blenny (to be purchased when the damsel is gone)

I would like to add from previous discussion thread:
1 royal gramma
1 fairy wrasse (have to see what kind the LFS have)
1 watchman goby?? depends on the sand depth requirement, I have about 1" of sand in my tank.

Any other fish that would go in my tank. I am not set on the fish add list as of yet.

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New (Cycled) 45 gallon with fluval 307 canister, ~30/40lbs of rock. Also crushed coral substrate (I know, I don’t love it either - got bad advice at set up). Thinking this will stay a FOWLR tank, not ready to jump to corals...

current stock:

1 saddle puffer
2 clownfish (true percula)
1 purple fire fish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 cleaner shrimp

Want to boost CUC but not sure what works with the crushed coral...
Would also like to add a flame angel and/or kole tang someday...

thoughts?

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted already on my own thread but I found this one dedicated to helping choose fish so I'll try again here to see if I get anything different and interesting. My hunt is because I have a azure damsel that has gone rogue in my tank. I was told he would be a peaceful add to my tank....Well about a year later he has started to take over my tank. My midas blenny was run down by it and now that the blenny is gone it is going after my coral beauty (they are about the same size). Currently fishing/trapping the damsel at the moment.

Details:
56 gallon tank running for about 2 years, softie coral, snail only CUC https://www.reefcleaners.org/store/quick-crew-28-bowfront-detail (they seem to be keeping my tank clean so I will wait to add more), and a cleaner shrimp. Looking for reef safe fish.

So here is what I have currently in my tank or soon to have:
2 clowns
1 firefish
1 coral beauty angel
1 Midas Blenny (to be purchased when the damsel is gone)

I would like to add from previous discussion thread:
1 royal gramma
1 fairy wrasse (have to see what kind the LFS have)
1 watchman goby?? depends on the sand depth requirement, I have about 1" of sand in my tank.

Any other fish that would go in my tank. I am not set on the fish add list as of yet.
Bumping this up as I have not had any responses...Thanks

Andrew76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon FOWLR tank that I’ll eventually transition to a reef around December.

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Firefish Goby
Bicolor Blenny
Sixline Wrasse or Similar sized reef safe wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Damselfish (haven’t decided which yet. Want to be careful because I know they can be aggressive)

Is this an okay stocking list? would this max out my tank or could I safely add another fish or two?
I would avoid the damsels and IME a six line wrasse is a gamble I personally wouldn't take. Mine was mean as all get out constantly harassing other fish nonstop. Then catching him was impossible til I removed every rock n my tank

TaraT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank just finished cycling and I’m going to get a pair of clown fish today. It’s a 45 gallon tall. They had a blue tuxedo urchin at my LFS that I really liked. Would it be ok to add him at the same time as the clowns or does the tank need to be more established? I wouldn’t mind feeding him if needed. I also want to get some snails. I wasn’t sure when I should add them, right away or wait until I have more fish to clean up after. Thanks!

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon FOWLR tank that I’ll eventually transition to a reef around December.

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Firefish Goby
Bicolor Blenny
Sixline Wrasse or Similar sized reef safe wrasse
Sand sifting goby
Damselfish (haven’t decided which yet. Want to be careful because I know they can be aggressive)

Is this an okay stocking list? would this max out my tank or could I safely add another fish or two?
I know you got one response on the Damsel...I second that it can be aggressive. Recommended by others not to get one.
I myself had an azule that the LFS said was one of the less aggressive. Was about a year old when it went from nice to mean, took out my midas blenny and then started to chase down my coral beauty. Then it took me 5 days with a homemade water bottle fish trap to catch him and return him to my LFS.
Maybe go with a fairy wrasse instead of the sixline. Less aggressive...still reef safe.

librarylandlisa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just transferred my 3-month-old 20-gallon FOWLR tank into a 55-gallon tank. I have a 150 gallon in the garage I could set up in the future (knowing me, I will):

Current stock in my 55 gallon
1- Ocellaris Clown (1.5 inches)
1- Nassarius snail
2- Red Legged Hermits (1 inch)
1- Blue Legged Hermit (1 inch)
1- Bristle Worm (2 inch) (unless she stayed in the sand and I lost her in the move)
many rando pods
3 collinista snails

over the next several months or so I want to add:
Another Ocellarius Clown
Emerald Crab
Additional CUC dudes/babes
Starry Blenny
Coral Beauty or Cherub
Watchman Goby
Purple Firefish or Royal Gramma
3-5 Chromis (maybe? I have not watched these fish enough to know if I like their personalities)

My LFS was trying to steer me away from the Starry Blenny saying that I could not have any other blennies or gobies, but I am not finding facts on this other than Starry's sometimes being jerks to fish with similar size and coloring (sailfin or lawnmower specifically). Thoughts? Is my wishlist too long for a 55? TIA

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby. Trying to plan out my stocking list in advance so I don't hit a point where I want a certain fish and then realize it's not compatible with something I already have! I am having trouble finding fish that meet all of my "requirements" so I am looking for suggestions.

Requirements
  • Looking for bright colors
  • Safe for coral (couple softies, some basic LPS)
  • Not a jumper (wife and I like the minimalist look of the open tank but if this is too restrictive I may be able to convince her)
  • 55g + 11g sump (Red Sea Reefer 250)
  • Peaceful with current inhabitants - 2 baby clowns and a pulsing xenia
  • Won't demolish a basic CuC (handful of assorted snails/crabs)
  • Have roughly a 1" sandbed for what it's worth

Short List
  • Royal gramma
  • Either flame or coral beauty angel (any other reef-safe dwarf angels with pretty colors I should look into?)
  • Green mandarin (eventually - thinking long term here)

Potentials
  • Lemon damsel
  • Neon damsel (will multiple damsels fight across species?)
  • Banggai cardinal (I know this is not colorful, not super excited about this one)
  • Chromis

Other
These are fish I was interested in and then quickly realized they don't meet my requirements with research.

• Mccosker's flasher wrasse (jumpers)
  • Orchid dottyback (gramma would pick on this guy, it seems)
  • Fire fish (jumpers)
  • Yellow candy hog fish (jumpers)
  • Flame hawkfish (risk of demolishing CuC)
  • Long nose hawkfish (jumpers)

Any suggestions on some brightly colored fish I could add?

Last edited:

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a gorgeous Damsel id love to add, hopefully I spell it correctly. Starcki Damsel ? The local lfs has one in a biocube 16, and its beautiful. I'd love to stick with smaller fish to go along with our clowns and pj cardinals. We have a Biocube 32 starting the ugly stage now

elongate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox Marine AIO 50.2

I’m interested in the following fish:

*2 clowns
*Pair Longnose Hawfish
Pair Banggaii Cardinal fish
*1 Elongated Dottyback
*Small group 4< Chalk Bass
Goby not sure of type yet with tiger shrimp
Blenny not sure of type yet
*1 yellow Coris Wrasse
*3 zebra barred Dartfish
3-5 green chromis

what off this list can I add?
* I really like
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New (Cycled) 45 gallon with fluval 307 canister, ~30/40lbs of rock. Also crushed coral substrate (I know, I don’t love it either - got bad advice at set up). Thinking this will stay a FOWLR tank, not ready to jump to corals...

current stock:

1 saddle puffer
2 clownfish (true percula)
1 purple fire fish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 cleaner shrimp

Want to boost CUC but not sure what works with the crushed coral...
Would also like to add a flame angel and/or kole tang someday...

thoughts?
i had the exact same stocking list, with a tailspot instead of the lawnmower and ocellaris instead of percula. my saddle puffer destroyed every single invertebrate i tried to put into that tank, so watch the cleaner shrimp’s antennae for nipping and be prepared to act fast if you don’t want your puffer to have a very expensive dinner and kiss a CUC goodbye. flame angel might work, but the blenny might get territorial over algae grazing territory and take your clowns out of the tank for a day or so and rearrange the hardscape when adding a new fish. a kole tang will probably get too big and guaranteed will fight with the blenny for algae patches

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your guys opinion on tail spot blenny for a 24 g tank? Care level?
a tailspot would do perfect in a 24 and they are super easy as long as you keep a lot of greens in their diet. are there any tankmates yet?

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 Lagoon stocking questions/advice:

Upgrading to the new IM150 INT as soon as my fish room is done (tank is already here) and am trying to plan out my fish stocking. Tank is 4'x3'x19" and will be a mixed reef. The current fish will likely transfer over from my current 80 gallon tank. All i have had for at minimum 2 years together.
Current fish:
1 Clown (had her about 12 years)
1 purple tang
1 white tail bristletooth tang
1 starry blenny
1 orchid dottyback.

I would like to add the following larger fish
1 convict tang
1-3 yellow tangs
1 copperband butterfly

I would also like to add a wrasse for pest control/mitigation. Thinking a Melanurus Wrasse or radiant wrasse. or maybe both.

From there I feel the tank needs some smaller fish as well. I would like suggestions on fish that would add color and personality that also are out and about in the tank and not hiding all the time. Currently thinking 3-5 anthias or chromis but open to ideas.

Please let me know thoughts on this, I am a bit concerned about bioload and tang aggression. Filteration will include a BK mini 180 skimmer, Ideally a clarisea sk5000 filter roller and likely a cheato reactor/fuge.

Thoughts?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back