Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you mix a neon goby with some type of sand sifting goby?

Doing extensive research before starting a tank. I will definitely be getting a pair of clowns and a tailspot blenny and a sand sifting shrimp goby with a pistol. It'll probably be a 35 gallon AIO and I'm compiling a list of fish suitable for that size as well as what will go best with my three must haves and what will fill the tank and make it as active as possible without anything getting hurt. I know certain types of sand sifting shrimp gobies can be anywhere from 2 1/2 inches to 6. Would any type be okay with a neon since it's small, don't really look alike, isn't a sifter?

If helps the rest of my compiled list of other possible fish are firefish,royal Gramma, zebra barred dartfish,yellow headed dartfish, and less likely due to their tendency to be aggressive a orchid dottyback or black cap basslet. (They're so colorful. Why they gotta be so mean?) Out of the two I prefer the black cap.

This is just a list of other fish that I like outside of my must haves that could potentially go in my future tank size and not a list I want to throw all together.
Yes I had them together in a similar sized tank.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65g reef (mostly SPS)

Currently have a medium ocellaris clown, large royal gramma (who can be a bit spicy about his burrow), pink Pygmy wrasse, and a melanurus wrasse

Id like to add three more fish:

Ornate leopard wrasse
Yellow assessor basslet
Dispar anthias

Thoughts?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Midas Blenny in a 75g tank... thinking of adding a Lawnmower Blenny for GHA control. Anyone have any aggression noted with these 2 blennies in a tank?

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering if a small longnose hawk fish and eventually a midas blenny would work here.
32 gallon mixed reef:
Pair of wyoming’s (model citizens)
YWG
RBTA
large cleaner shrimp
5 hermits
1 mexican turbo snail

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small hawkfish reach adult size in a few weeks and they are jumpers. In a tank of that size he will try to jump out unless it is covered. Even if it is covered, he may injure his snout.
I can't keep them in my 125 because they jump and I don't have a cover.
But good luck. Maybe yours will be a sissy and stay there. :D

Therinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i have a reefer 170 that is 15 months old (43 gallons-34 display)
I’ve had the following fish living totally harmoniously for the last 9-10 months:

1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

Besides that i have an LTA and a BTA, some soft corals, an emerald crab, and a snail CUC.

I’ve been hesitant to add any more fish, since the stocking has been getting on so well, but the tank still looks like kinda.... roomy, if tou know what i mean. Is there anything else i could add with good odds of getting along with everyone? After research, the only one ive considered so far is a Green Chromis.

Thanks in advance!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a 150 gallon in a couple of weeks to upgrade my 45 gallon. The tank is a mixed reef. My current fish I have are

ocellaris clown pair
yellow coris wrasse
exquisite firefish
royal gramma
pink streaked wrasse

As for the fish I want to add,

yellow tang
pyramid butterflyfish
convict tang
flame hawkfish
and either a wantanabei angel or kole tang
(I would love a blue tang but I've heard mixed things about them in 150s. Some say it's fine since it's 6 feet long and has more depth than a 125 and others say absolutely nothing less than 180)

Is this maxed out on bioload? Is the compatibility sound? I know tangs can be aggressive to new additions, especially other tangs or fish shaped like them, so I'm going to try to add them together and after the butterfly and angel.

JonathanV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been lurking on r2r for awhile now and this is my first time posting here. I was wondering whether or not a McCoskers flasher wrasse would be compatible/fine in a 20 long? I’ve done a lot of research on this topic up to this point as it is my dream fish and I understand that while the recommended volume for this fish is around 30 gallons, vertical swimming distance is by far the most important factor in making swimmers like wrasses comfortable in the tank. Also, I’ve seen in some threads where people have kept smaller flasher wrasses in 20 longs without any problems. With the 20 long spanning 30 inches and a decent amount of rock work and caves to break up territories, I was wondering whether or not it would be adequate to keep the fish not stressed and to not be cruel towards it? If not what would be some other recommendations as I would like to add some swimming/movement in terms of livestock to the tank? I will also be keeping the bioload low if I am able to add this wrasse to the tank.
Thanks so much!

marena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
I currently have a 90gallon tank. Only a few fish in there but one is a sailfin tang, do you think I can get away with adding a yellow tang? I know you’re not supposed to have two of the same kind of tang but I thought I’d ask and see if there’s anything I can do to make it work.

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i have a reefer 170 that is 15 months old (43 gallons-34 display)
I’ve had the following fish living totally harmoniously for the last 9-10 months:

1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

Besides that i have an LTA and a BTA, some soft corals, an emerald crab, and a snail CUC.

I’ve been hesitant to add any more fish, since the stocking has been getting on so well, but the tank still looks like kinda.... roomy, if tou know what i mean. Is there anything else i could add with good odds of getting along with everyone? After research, the only one ive considered so far is a Green Chromis.

Thanks in advance!
I’d definitely say a goby or 2 smaller ones. Maybe a dwarf angel too.

Therinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely say a goby or 2 smaller ones. Maybe a dwarf angel too.
Thanks. To follow up, i got a bluegreen chromis. The dottyback and clown chased hom around for a day or so, but now the chromis and the clown are acting like theyre mated and the dottyback is leaving him alone. The new Chromis is even “sleeping” with the clown. Kinda weird but at least theyre all getting along.

r2odie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 375 gallon 10 ft long mixed reef. Long story short, I had a leak a few weeks ago and everything came out. It’s fixed and soon the livestock is going back in. I plan to have mixed reef including sps, lps, leathers, zoas and in the future clams. Question is I’ve had a trio of Pygmy cherub angelfish for 6 months. Got them small and all has been fine so far. Should I put them back or no?? I know they will be hard to catch again IF they misbehave.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have a 120g with currently:
Foxface
Copper band
White tail bristletooth Tang
Square back anthia
Male yellow tail tamarin wrasse
Male ear muffs wrasse
Male potters wrasse
Blackcap basslet

I wanted to add a sailfin tang and a flasher wrasse.

Some history - I had to re-home a radiant wrasse he was getting beat up by a male lineatus wrasse. Then the male lineatus was getting beat up by a male blue star wrasse so I re-homed the lineatus. Then the blue star was getting beat up by my male ear muff, so I re-homed the blue star. Since then the stocking list above has worked out great, it's been about a year now, everyone is peaceful. The square back is the only one to chase a wrasse now or then if they get to close to his cave and feeding time is near.

So I have had issues with wrasses getting along as you can see. Question is would a flasher be better suited in the tank?

Also does anyone see any issues with adding the sailfin with the the bristletooth Tang and Cooperband ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , My current gang of Fins consists of
1 - Foxface Rabbitfish
1-Oscellaris Clownfish
1- Tomini Tang
1-Coral beauty angel
1- Chromis of undetermined variety he is dark blue and solid colour

I have the red sea reefer 525 xl and I believe my dimensions are as follows 59 " x 22" x 22.5 " . With this in mind I was thinking of adding a scopas tang and yellow eye kole tang if I can find one or blue eye kole tang . I would also like to add a wrasse and have not one in mind as of yet and that would finnish my stocking list. I would QT the scopas and kole tang together for a month and then add together under the cover of night fall and moniter the interactions with my tomini tang . My 5 fish are very chill right now so I would like to keep it this way if possible. I know nothing is a guarantee with fish and you can get a aggressive or peaceful fish however I would like to always do my research before I purchase anything that is a setup for failure from the beginning.

Let me know your thoughts people , reefers , Tang FBI and forum trolls . Thank you !!!!

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have a 120g with currently:
Foxface
Copper band
White tail bristletooth Tang
Square back anthia
Male yellow tail tamarin wrasse
Male ear muffs wrasse
Male potters wrasse
Blackcap basslet

I wanted to add a sailfin tang and a flasher wrasse.

Some history - I had to re-home a radiant wrasse he was getting beat up by a male lineatus wrasse. Then the make lineatus was getting beat up by a male blue star wrasse so I re-homed the lineatus. Then the blue star was getting beat up by my male ear muff, so I re-homed the blue star. Since then the stocking list above has worked out great, it's been about a year now, everyone is peaceful. The square back is the only one to chase a wrasse now or then if they get to close to his cave and feeding time is near.

So I have had issues with wrasses getting along. Question is would a flasher be better suited in the tank?

Also does anyone see any issues with adding the sailfin with the the bristletooth Tang and Cooperband ?

Thanks!
I hear that sailfin tangs can get large and I think the 125 might be the minimum size for these fish but I am sure owners of sailfins can speak to that better then I can :)

I would be worried about the copperband and a potential aggressive tang or tang fighting as the copperband is a very sensitive fish and I have read many posts of them getting murked by tangs and tang aggression / stress

I googled the white tail bristletooth tang what a beautiful fish !!!!!!

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24g biocube, overstocked with 2 clowns and one dottyback...

Mccullochi clown, Spotcinctus clown, springer dottyback
Every morning one of the 3 fish have a new battle mark
I'm thinking this mccullochi clown female will need 75g when breeding

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone - 94gal tank (48.5*18.5*25)

Just finished cycle on new tank setup and looking to add first fish this week. My question is actually about tangs, which I plan to add at a later date. I had 4 in my old 150gal tank years ago but I’m worried the 94gal may be too small.

Preference is:
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Blue Hippo
Sailfin

Was thinking I might be okay if I can find small and add at same time? But worried about issues down the road...

Also, I’m struggling to find good info on best order for adding the specific Fish, Corals, Inverts, etc... that I want. Is it best to just ask here or is anyone aware of another forum or location to help generate a strategic plan specific to my tank?

I was thinking to see if one of the online suppliers would be willing to offer advice based on purchase commitment or something of that nature. Curious what others have done that they would recommend.

Thx!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. 75 gal bow front tank. Fluval fx4 that has been up for 5 years. . I've taken over this tank recently from a friend. I've made some additions as well as removing a very aggressive oss clown Current occupants include

Yellow eye Kole tang 2.5"
Yellow Tang 2.5"
Mandarin Goby
Melanarus Wrasse 3"
Red Sea Cleaner Wrass
Green blue chromis x2 (not married to)
Bang eye Cardinal x2 ( not married to) 1.5" body
Royal Gramma
Electric flame scallop
Australian Duncan Coral 6 head.

CUC
Red banded coral shrimp
Hermit crab x4

I'm really wanting to make this my soft/easy coral tank. Mostly euphylia, mushrooms, leather, favia, maybe a zoa rock garden. Just set it up with 2x red sea reef led 90's.

There are 4 fish above that I'm not married to if they are keeping me over the bioload I can handle. Everyone eats well and behave civilly. The tangs are in love!!
I'm wondering if I have "room" for a few other fish. Short wishlist is: I'm wondering about compatibility and general notes on them.
Yellow Watchman Goby
Red anthius or 2
Midas blenny

Thanks.

Cheese says hi

Snails x2

PXL_20210219_011405926.MP.jpg PXL_20210217_045917821.MP.jpg

SquattingSnail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally gotten to the point that RODI water is being made to fill my tank. My wife isn't the happiest person in the world about it but she has recently taking an interest in the fish. I was wondering if I ordered 8 or so azure damsels and added them in first would cause issues down the road? The aquarium is a 210 gallon with 100 gallon basement sump. Starting with Caribsea life rock, dry sand, bottled bacteria. Any input would be appreciated!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back