Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium: 125 gallon (6'x2'x1.5'), FOWLR (but always wanting leave option for corals or derasa), established 25 years.
Current fish:
2 clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris or percula)
1 yellowtail damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema)
1 green mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus)
1 bicolor dottyback (Pictichromis paccagnella)
1 regal tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
1 powder-brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus)
1 one-spot foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)

Desired:
2 more yellowtail damselfish - to reduce aggression from dottyback on existing single damsel, and because I had a breeding pair for many years when I had 3-4 in the aquarium. These I've already decided to add.

1 more colorful active swimmer, non-aggressive, reef safe, preferably herbivorous that will not compete too much with mandarin for copepods and amphipods (the dottyback already competes), preferably ~4" but no larger than 6".

I'm currently leaning towards a flame angel (for the color, of course) or a coral beauty (for the smaller size and because they are available captive bred).
it’s always a gamble with flame angels and CBs. sometimes they’re model citizens that never even look at your corals or they’re absolutely ravenous for your most prized fleshy lps, so i’d maybe hold off on them. you might want to check out some of the halichoeres wrasses or a rabbitfish/fox face. in a 125 there should be enough copepods for 1 wrasse and a mandarin

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I just got my 90 going and I want to add a tang to it ? Right not I just have a clown/ green coral goby/ chromis/ there from my old setup I had and I just added a small foxface about a week ago and everyone is swimming together happy . I would like to add a tang maybe a scopes or kole to the tang what would you recommend for a tang ? I’m just abit worries about the tang being aggressive and want to keep a peaceful tank. The only other fish I might add down the road is something for the sand or a wrasse but that wouldn’t be for awhile or ever .
best tang options for you would be scopas, kole, or tomini

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm thinking of get a fluval Evo 13.5 and I'm thinking of stocking. I'm thinking of getting a true percula clownfish, a candy stripe pistol shrimp, and a highfin goby. I'd like to add another goby or a tailspot blenny or something too if possible. Would this be too many fish? Could I have a cleaner shrimp or something too?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm thinking of get a fluval Evo 13.5 and I'm thinking of stocking. I'm thinking of getting a true percula clownfish, a candy stripe pistol shrimp, and a highfin goby. I'd like to add another goby or a tailspot blenny or something too if possible. Would this be too many fish? Could I have a cleaner shrimp or something too?
You can add the clown, goby, and pistol,but i wouldnt add any more. However you could add some more invertebrates! Small urchins come to mind.... Maybe you could add a coral groucher as well? Theyre small. Hope this helps

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep a ruby red dragonet in a 15 gallon?
I had one for a couple of months and then he started getting less active, until finally he disappeared. I've seeded it with pods before he came and I'm seeing tons of amphipods.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a couple of months and then he started getting less active, until finally he disappeared. I've seeded it with pods before he came and I'm seeing tons of amphipods.
i would think yes...

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the clown, goby, and pistol,but i wouldnt add any more. However you could add some more invertebrates! Small urchins come to mind.... Maybe you could add a coral groucher as well? Theyre small. Hope this helps
Thanks! What counts as a small invert vs a big one? Does stuff like blue legged hermits count as small? Cleaner shrimp? That sort of thing? Or smaller than that?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What counts as a small invert vs a big one? Does stuff like blue legged hermits count as small? Cleaner shrimp? That sort of thing? Or smaller than that?
you can add plenty of hermit crabs, and possibly 1 cleaner shrimp. Here, give me a minute and i will show you how i personally would stock the tank. A big invert would be anything over 4.5-6 inches. In my opinion, i wouldnt add anything over 3.5 - 4 inches in that tank.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what i would add in a 13.5 gallon tank, anything listed here you can keep there permanently:

1 ordinary or designer clownfish - 3 inch or less size
1 yellow banded possum wrasse - 3 inches in length

or, another possibility is making it a peaceful seahorse and pipefish tank ;)

2 - male and female - dwarf seahorses
1 or 2 blue banded pipefish - these are beautiful, very thin and small, and would be awesome in your tank

this is every single fish you could add into your tank:

any goby smaller than 4 inches
any damselfish, however they can be aggresive
small wrasses
small jawfish
aiptasia eating filefish
pygmy coral groucher - venemous, but as cute as a puppy!
small dottybacks
maybe dartfish... may get to big, idk
small chromis
almost any cardinalfish
small basslets
pretty much anything that stays small lol

I hope this helps! Oh, and check out Live aquaria for more ideas on fish, and it is a pretty reliable source if you want to purchase fish and coral online.

Also, for corals, you can get anything you want ;)

Good luck! The fluval brand is great!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they werent so slow moving i'd say no, but they stay pretty small, and they are soooo slow

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what i would add in a 13.5 gallon tank, anything listed here you can keep there permanently:

1 ordinary or designer clownfish - 3 inch or less size
1 yellow banded possum wrasse - 3 inches in length

or, another possibility is making it a peaceful seahorse and pipefish tank ;)

2 - male and female - dwarf seahorses
1 or 2 blue banded pipefish - these are beautiful, very thin and small, and would be awesome in your tank

this is every single fish you could add into your tank:

any goby smaller than 4 inches
any damselfish, however they can be aggresive
small wrasses
small jawfish
aiptasia eating filefish
pygmy coral groucher - venemous, but as cute as a puppy!
small dottybacks
maybe dartfish... may get to big, idk
small chromis
almost any cardinalfish
small basslets
pretty much anything that stays small lol

I hope this helps! Oh, and check out Live aquaria for more ideas on fish, and it is a pretty reliable source if you want to purchase fish and coral online.

Also, for corals, you can get anything you want ;)

Good luck! The fluval brand is great!
Great, thank you so much for your help! I'm so excited to get started. I'm hoping to get the tank set-up t and start getting fish next month.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does speed have to do with it?
Also will he/she eat amphipods. I have a huge population of them that I need to control.
If they were like wrasses, fast moving and need space to swim, it would be a problem. Yes they should eat amphipod, however each fish is different. Best of luck

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planing on Getting a fiji cube 20 peninsula aio & 25lbs dry marco rock, 40lbs dry special grade aragonite sand a, a kessil A80 blue & hydor koraila nano 425 gph can I keep a randall shrimp/goby pair, a pair of Ocellaris clownfish a carpet or rettire anemone a Firefish and maybe a flaming prawn goby can I keep all of those in a 20 peninsula or will I need a bigger tank?

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planing on Getting a fiji cube 20 peninsula aio & 25lbs dry marco rock, 40lbs dry special grade aragonite sand a, a kessil A80 blue & hydor koraila nano 425 gph can I keep a randall shrimp/goby pair, a pair of Ocellaris clownfish a carpet or rettire anemone a Firefish and maybe a flaming prawn goby can I keep all of those in a 20 peninsula or will I need a bigger tank?
should be fine

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back