Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, help me, is that ok to have a pair of ocellaris, one yellow watchman, one fridmani and one damsel yellow tail (the last one to get in) together? It's a 40 cm cube, about 60L, about 16gallon. And plus that could I add a jawfish?

Jai'galaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to SW tanks, basically the ultimate noob. To make things worse, I'm also on a budget to say the very least, so the best I can do is a 5g pico reef tank. I'm looking for a fish that is reef safe, have some good colors and doesn't want to hide all the time.
I can almost hear you saying tailspot blenny but please no. I just don't like the looks of that fish.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to SW tanks, basically the ultimate noob. To make things worse, I'm also on a budget to say the very least, so the best I can do is a 5g pico reef tank. I'm looking for a fish that is reef safe, have some good colors and doesn't want to hide all the time.
I can almost hear you saying tailspot blenny but please no. I just don't like the looks of that fish.
Ok, so not many options for that size a tank, how about a possum wrasse? Other options are pygmy coral grouchers, clown gobies, or a neon goby

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so not many options for that size a tank, how about a possum wrasse? Other options are pygmy coral grouchers, clown gobies, or a neon goby
I second this. Or you could do a tank that is for inverts only, making use of feather duster worms, active shrimp, and colorful hermit crabs.

Jai'galaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. Or you could do a tank that is for inverts only, making use of feather duster worms, active shrimp, and colorful hermit crabs.
Tbh I'll mostly do corals, I just want something to bring some activity and movement into the tank. Also it would be great if it had great colors. I'd prefer fish but actually I'd prefer an active invert over a hiding fish any time.

Last edited:

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I'll mostly do corals, I just want something to bring some activity and movement into the tank. Also it would be great if it had great colors. I'd prefer fish but actually I'd prefer an active invert over a hiding fish any time.
Possum wrasses are great

hammerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a fluval 13.5. Right now I just have a clownfish and a gramma w a turbo snail in there plus 1 frogspawn 1 torch & 1 gsp on back wall. Was thinking of adding a porcelain crab, a cleaner shrimp, and maybe one other fish if that doesn’t feel like too much. Would it be too overstocked with these additions? & is the porcelain crab a good idea? Any ideas for what might be good?

edit: and some Rasta zoanthids but they hitchhiked on the rock so sometimes I forget they’re there

Last edited:

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a fluval 13.5. Right now I just have a clownfish and a gramma w a turbo snail in there plus 1 frogspawn 1 torch & 1 gsp on back wall. Was thinking of adding a porcelain crab, a cleaner shrimp, and maybe one other fish if that doesn’t feel like too much. Would it be too overstocked with these additions? & is the porcelain crab a good idea? Any ideas for what might be good?

edit: and some Rasta zoanthids but they hitchhiked on the rock so sometimes I forget they’re there
You can add the crab, but only one for fish. Id add a pygmy coral groucher, possum wrasse, two spot blenny, or a goby pistol shrimp pair

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you recommend for a 75 gallon?

i currently have a bell’s flasher, clownfish pair, royal gramma pair(may get another during the upgrade) and a mandarin
i am looking at having a good school of red stripe cardinals, another mandarin to pair with my current one. i do like the tomini tang but i think i’d get the molly miller and a yellow coris. also i’d like to get a banggai cardinal pair, maybe a kite butterfly and maybe a harlequin filefish pair(my lfs regularly trains them onto frozen)

i really like scorps and eels… i’d probably get a few leaf scorps/dwarf lion and an eel?

Linflas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 1.5 years into this hobby, started out with a 45 gallon tank and moved to a 110 tank. I currently have a pair of occelaris clowns, a 6 line wrasse, a coral beauty, a diamond watchman goby, a lawnmower blenny, a tailspot blenny, and a royal gramma along with an assortment of inverts and would really like to add a tang but I see lots of conflicting info on what kind would be compatible and likely not to disrupt my current tank and not out grow it as well. Any suggestions would be helpful. Eventually I plan on trying to add some newbie corals as well if that needs to be considered.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you recommend for a 75 gallon?

i currently have a bell’s flasher, clownfish pair, royal gramma pair(may get another during the upgrade) and a mandarin
i am looking at having a good school of red stripe cardinals, another mandarin to pair with my current one. i do like the tomini tang but i think i’d get the molly miller and a yellow coris. also i’d like to get a banggai cardinal pair, maybe a kite butterfly and maybe a harlequin filefish pair(my lfs regularly trains them onto frozen)

i really like scorps and eels… i’d probably get a few leaf scorps/dwarf lion and an eel?
If you don’t have corals you should look into a dwarf angel. I’d say don’t get a lionfish or scorpionfish bc your smaller fish are never off the menu, but eels for the most part are a safe predator fish. Butterflyfish all get too big. The only one that’s really suitable for a tank that size is the atlantic longnose and they’re pretty uncommon in stores. I would also only do either 2 mandarins or 1 mandarin and 1 yellow coris wrasse, bc with 2 obligate copepod eaters and 1 fish that also spends a lot of time eating them, you’re gonna have to reseed your tank like once every 1.5 months.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 1.5 years into this hobby, started out with a 45 gallon tank and moved to a 110 tank. I currently have a pair of occelaris clowns, a 6 line wrasse, a coral beauty, a diamond watchman goby, a lawnmower blenny, a tailspot blenny, and a royal gramma along with an assortment of inverts and would really like to add a tang but I see lots of conflicting info on what kind would be compatible and likely not to disrupt my current tank and not out grow it as well. Any suggestions would be helpful. Eventually I plan on trying to add some newbie corals as well if that needs to be considered.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have corals you should look into a dwarf angel. I’d say don’t get a lionfish or scorpionfish bc your smaller fish are never off the menu, but eels for the most part are a safe predator fish. Butterflyfish all get too big. The only one that’s really suitable for a tank that size is the atlantic longnose and they’re pretty uncommon in stores. I would also only do either 2 mandarins or 1 mandarin and 1 yellow coris wrasse, bc with 2 obligate copepod eaters and 1 fish that also spends a lot of time eating them, you’re gonna have to reseed your tank like once every 1.5 months.
i’ve trained my current mandarin onto mysis successfully, do you think if i got a smaller wrasse it would make a difference from the yellow coris?

Smiler1875

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

After a bit of stocking advice please, Got 270 Litre tank, already have 2 Small Clowns, Valentini Puffer, CUC and a small Scopas tang, was wondering if I could add the following and be ok bio load wise/compatibility, large sump, live rock, various corals- Zoas, Hammers, Torch, 3 filter socks, Octus skimmer, ATO

Pyramid Buttefly
Pair small Gobies
2 or 3 Bangai Cardinal
Possibly A Coral Beauty

So would be 10 or 11 fish, with obviously the tang to grow and butterfly being the largest

Appreciate any comments (Good or bad !)

Last edited:

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason I couldn't add a lemonpeel angel? Saw one at the LFS. Thinking about nabbing it if it's still there this weekend.
75g - no corals yet, but will down the road
2x clowns
1x YWG/pistol shrimp
1x urchin

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back