Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason I couldn't add a lemonpeel angel? Saw one at the LFS. Thinking about nabbing it if it's still there this weekend.
75g - no corals yet, but will down the road
2x clowns
1x YWG/pistol shrimp
1x urchin
BTW, I'm finding the whole fish-picking process to be rather arduous. Too many options for my little brain. I'd like to eventually get 1 or 2 super striking show-piece type fish (hence the lemonpeel) and maybe a group of 4-5 small (<~2") fish to finish out the fish stocking before getting into corals. So any suggestions, keeping in mind I'm new, would be much appreciated.

KDB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lost all of my fish to Velvet, which truly sucked! and TBH was a huge loss to the pocket book as well.I am looking to start all over (I have a 45 gallon) The main fish store I have been dealing with, I learned, will sell me anything I am willing to pay for. Which as a newbie, I learned isn't as easy as he made it out to be. So, I found a new dealer that I will be working with, but wouldn't mind some guidance as well. I have no corals.

reefsandfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 1 gallon reef tank and want to get a bounce mushroom and RBTA, wondering what fishes would work?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I'm finding the whole fish-picking process to be rather arduous. Too many options for my little brain. I'd like to eventually get 1 or 2 super striking show-piece type fish (hence the lemonpeel) and maybe a group of 4-5 small (<~2") fish to finish out the fish stocking before getting into corals. So any suggestions, keeping in mind I'm new, would be much appreciated.
If you’re planning on doing corals I’d err on the side of caution with a lemonpeel angel. The best dwarf angels to keep with corals from everything I’ve heard are flame angels and coral beauties, and even with them it’s really just a coin toss to see if they’ll eat corals and it’s a nightmare getting them out. Some reef-safe wrasses are absolutely stunning and generally have wonderful personalities.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

After a bit of stocking advice please, Got 270 Litre tank, already have 2 Small Clowns, Valentini Puffer, CUC and a small Scopas tang, was wondering if I could add the following and be ok bio load wise/compatibility, large sump, live rock, various corals- Zoas, Hammers, Torch, 3 filter socks, Octus skimmer, ATO

Pyramid Buttefly
Pair small Gobies
2 or 3 Bangai Cardinal
Possibly A Coral Beauty

So would be 10 or 11 fish, with obviously the tang to grow and butterfly being the largest

Appreciate any comments (Good or bad !)
Everything on this list looks good except for the pyramid butterfly. They get very big and are highly active swimmers, so they’re better suited for a 150 gallon or 570 liter aquarium.

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re planning on doing corals I’d err on the side of caution with a lemonpeel angel. The best dwarf angels to keep with corals from everything I’ve heard are flame angels and coral beauties, and even with them it’s really just a coin toss to see if they’ll eat corals and it’s a nightmare getting them out. Some reef-safe wrasses are absolutely stunning and generally have wonderful personalities.
That brings up an interesting question. Would it matter if a "with caution" fish is in the tank, fed regularly, long before any corals go in? Like maybe they'd get use to where food comes from/what it is and wouldn't think/bother to taste the corals? Just thinking out loud.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That brings up an interesting question. Would it matter if a "with caution" fish is in the tank, fed regularly, long before any corals go in? Like maybe they'd get use to where food comes from/what it is and wouldn't think/bother to taste the corals? Just thinking out loud.
Maybe that could work, but also it could just think that you added a rock that had some invertebrate in it. Idk, the risk with dwarf angels in reef tanks has never quite been worth the reward in my opinion.

Last edited:

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5.5 Gallon rimless. I can cover it if necessary. I planned on it just being a temporary grow out tank for calcareous algae, but like the way it turned out. I'm thinking of adding just enough pico size fish so I don't have to keep dosing nitrates. Something small that will gently sift the substrate and maybe a sexy shrimp or two? Some dwarf ceriths? Also wondering if a few barnacle blennies will take refuge in the caudium, or if they need tighter spaces. I'm Considering a yellow banded possum wrasse as well, but it may want more room. Any suggestions would be great. Calcium levels will be held on the high side in this tank. I don't think that should be an issue with most fish.

20210807_024548.jpg

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get constructive feedback for my future mixed reef 40 gallon breeder tank AIO. I've done some reading before hand to know I will need a top for the tank.

Equipment
  • Standard 40 gallon breeder tank from petco
  • Eheim compactON 2100 (water pump)
  • Fiji AIO 40 gallon kit
  • Sand + Live rock (dry)
  • Reefbreeder lights (the ones for 36" tank)
  • X-Port Bio Brick to increase biological filtration

The stock list
  • 2 x Black Ocellaris Clownfish
  • 1 x Pink Streak Wrasse (Pest control)
  • 1 x Firefish
  • 1 x Biota Madarin Goby (will be added last)
Invert List
  • Tuxedo sea urchin
  • Sebae Anemone
  • Maxima Clam
Corals (these are the ones that come to mind)
  • Softies - Toadstool and mushroom
  • LPS - Scolymia, Acanthophyllia, bubble coral, hammer, favia, acans
  • SPS- Acropora, and birds nest
Questions
  • I'd love to do sump but I want to keep it simple b/c I may move in the future for school. Is taking plumbing apart easy and how?
  • Not sure if a 40 gallon can provide enough microfauna for the madarin goby so i've been thinking about HoB refugium. I have also read that some people have created rubble piles in their display to act as a hideaway for microfauna to breed years ago.
  • I'm concern about the sebae anemone and madarin goby. Could I possibly do rock work to keep the sebae in a corner?

corJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get constructive feedback for my future mixed reef 40 gallon breeder tank AIO. I've done some reading before hand to know I will need a top for the tank.

Equipment
  • Standard 40 gallon breeder tank from petco
  • Eheim compactON 2100 (water pump)
  • Fiji AIO 40 gallon kit
  • Sand + Live rock (dry)
  • Reefbreeder lights (the ones for 36" tank)
  • X-Port Bio Brick to increase biological filtration

The stock list
  • 2 x Black Ocellaris Clownfish
  • 1 x Pink Streak Wrasse (Pest control)
  • 1 x Firefish
  • 1 x Biota Madarin Goby (will be added last)
Invert List
  • Tuxedo sea urchin
  • Sebae Anemone
  • Maxima Clam
Corals (these are the ones that come to mind)
  • Softies - Toadstool and mushroom
  • LPS - Scolymia, Acanthophyllia, bubble coral, hammer, favia, acans
  • SPS- Acropora, and birds nest
Questions
  • I'd love to do sump but I want to keep it simple b/c I may move in the future for school. Is taking plumbing apart easy and how?
  • Not sure if a 40 gallon can provide enough microfauna for the madarin goby so i've been thinking about HoB refugium. I have also read that some people have created rubble piles in their display to act as a hideaway for microfauna to breed years ago.
  • I'm concern about the sebae anemone and madarin goby. Could I possibly do rock work to keep the sebae in a corner?
I'm no expert and just researching now, but I may be able to help a wee bit.

1 plumbing is as hard or simple to take apart as you make it. Making it in a way where you are able to dissasemble it easily is expensive. easier when you know you are going to move to buy all new plumbing and rebuild it at your new home.
2. be careful even mentioning mandarins, lol. The only thing worse are the tang police. The answer will (probably rightly) be 40 gallon tank for mandarin, 100 gal refugium to grow pods, with more pods from LFS, and daily training to attempt to teach it new foods.
3. Never expect an anemone to be where you put it. They will move when you least expect it to the least wanted part of the tank.

verify petco tank is not tempered if you plan to drill holes

edit: I am no expert others will know better.

xXZPatriotZXx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! First post. I bought a used tank off Craigslist. FOWLR. Came with an adult three-stripe Damsel fish. It’s been running at my house for a little over a week now. I was curious what I can put in there with him? It’s a 20 gal tank with a sump. The LFS has juvi three-stripe damsels, as well as juvi blue and yellow damsels. Anyone have any experience with these damsels who can tell me if this is a good idea or not? My other option would be to give it up to the LFS and put others in there.

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@corJoe Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
1. I didn't know people replaced it. I thought they took it apart from my view. Glad to know.
2. I was curious if anyone kept mandarins in 30 gallons or bigger b/c on Biota their website states the recommended tank size is 30 gallons. I think its because their captive bred mandarins will accept frozen and dry food. So that reduces the need for a normally large microfauna population.
3. I guess i'll just make sure my rock works are higher than planned just in case outer rock work becomes a nem favorite.

I learned petco tanks aren't 100% glass the hard way. I broke a 75 gallon intended for a discus while drilling it. I don't trust any petco tanks to be 100% glass. I'll bring polarized sunglasses to check if they are tempered or not.

Last edited:

corJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@corJoe Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
1. I didn't know people replaced it. I thought they took it apart from my view. Glad to know.
2. I was curious if anyone kept mandarins in 30 gallons or bigger b/c on Biota their website states the recommended tank size is 30 gallons. I think its because their captive bred mandarins will accept frozen and dry food. So that reduces the need for a normally large microfauna population.
3. I guess i'll just make sure my rock works are higher than planned just in case outer rock work because a nem favorite.

I learned petco tanks aren't 100% glass the hard way. I broke a 75 gallon intended for a discus while drilling it. I don't trust any petco tanks to be 100% glass. I'll bring polarized sunglasses to check if they are tempered or not.
1. many tanks are set up with glued PVC, which isn't expensive compared to everything else in the tank, and many times seemingly impossible to save during a teardown, so it's often easier to replace than save. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with my setup as the massive octopus of pipes runs through multiple bulkheads they can't be removed from.

2. My joke was all about needing bigger refugium than tank to grow pods, I doubt there is a maximum size tank.

3. good luck,

chandavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Appreciate all your help. Have. 32.5 Fluval FleX AIO. (22 gallons actual water)
8 mos old and seems to be stable per testing.
Currently:
2 clowns
watchman goby
firefish
2 peppermint fish that I think are camelback
cleaner shrimp
2 turbo snail
fighting conch
GSP and a couple zoas
Any room for another fish? Suggestions if so?
THANKS

Attachments

• 612DF845-D342-484F-8B17-0C458F76632A.jpeg
    612DF845-D342-484F-8B17-0C458F76632A.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 49

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! First post. I bought a used tank off Craigslist. FOWLR. Came with an adult three-stripe Damsel fish. It’s been running at my house for a little over a week now. I was curious what I can put in there with him? It’s a 20 gal tank with a sump. The LFS has juvi three-stripe damsels, as well as juvi blue and yellow damsels. Anyone have any experience with these damsels who can tell me if this is a good idea or not? My other option would be to give it up to the LFS and put others in there.
Welcome to R2R!!
3-stripe damsels are very aggressive as adults it'll probably kill any fish you try to add to your 20g. Have your LFS take it off your hands. I would avoid damsels as most get aggressive with age, but if you really have an interest in damsels look into Rolland's (Chrysiptera rollandi) or Allen's (Pomacentrus alleni).

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, what do you thing about the following :

-2 clowns
- gramma loreto
- midas blenny
- (some wrasse)
do this guys have any problem with each other?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Appreciate all your help. Have. 32.5 Fluval FleX AIO. (22 gallons actual water)
8 mos old and seems to be stable per testing.
Currently:
2 clowns
watchman goby
firefish
2 peppermint fish that I think are camelback
cleaner shrimp
2 turbo snail
fighting conch
GSP and a couple zoas
Any room for another fish? Suggestions if so?
THANKS
One of my personal favorites is the neon blue goby. It's small but has a lot of personality. A royal gramma or black cap basslet would work too.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, what do you thing about the following :

-2 clowns
- gramma loreto
- midas blenny
- (some wrasse)
do this guys have any problem with each other?
Depends on the wrasse. Which species of wrasse are you interested in?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back