Need Help Deciding which light to get

Resz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am new to reefing and will be getting a reef tank 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. I currently can't decide on which light to choose. I am looking at a single orphek atlantik v4 g2 or two radion xr15. Which would be better?

I am planning to do a mixed reef tank of lps and sps. Thank you

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pair of Radion XR15 G5 Blues will probably be better, or possibly a single Neptune SKY. The Coral Care 2s are also currently on-sale and people rave about those lights.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am new to reefing and will be getting a reef tank 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. I currently can't decide on which light to choose. I am looking at a single orphek atlantik v4 g2 or two radion xr15. Which would be better?

I am planning to do a mixed reef tank of lps and sps. Thank you
the Radions are an excellent options .

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the kessil 360we because of the compatability with the apex. Something to think about if you plan on getting a controller down the road

I also liked the fact that it comes from a single point, you get shimmer like a MH light and no disco effect

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orphek Atlantik V4 Gen2 Compact is also on clearance on BRS for slightly less than the Phillips.
If you are looking at the full sized Orphek I'd probably pick it, but if you're looking at the compact one then according to the specs 36" tank is pushing it. So in that case I'd get the radions for the spread. I don't have any experience with either of these brands but they both seem to be quality products from everything I've read.

OP
OP
R

Resz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the kessil 360we because of the compatability with the apex. Something to think about if you plan on getting a controller down the road

I also liked the fact that it comes from a single point, you get shimmer like a MH light and no disco effect
Hmm, I will look into kessil 360we or the 360x as the shimmer effect might be a nice idea. Thanks

OP
OP
R

Resz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pair of Radion XR15 G5 Blues will probably be better, or possibly a single Neptune SKY. The Coral Care 2s are also currently on-sale and people rave about those lights.
Thank you, I actually would like to look into more types of light. But due to my location, they mainly carry ai, orphek, red sea and radions. Also one of the shop recommended me reef factory flare pro which is a new model coming out. I am unsure about that one. But in all, thanks for the opinion I will look into most likely getting the two radion xr15 or maybe two kessil 360we / x

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I will look into kessil 360we or the 360x as the shimmer effect might be a nice idea. Thanks
I went with the we over the x simply because of the apex compatability. I believe with the x you need an additional item to be able to control it. I didn't see it being worth paying more for the light and more to be able to control it when I already had the apex.

OP
OP
R

Resz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the we over the x simply because of the apex compatability. I believe with the x you need an additional item to be able to control it. I didn't see it being worth paying more for the light and more to be able to control it when I already had the apex.
Icic, I'll take note on that. I've been reading that it requires the wifi dongle. I will have to check out with the local retailers if they sell the 360we versions. If not, having the x versions also would mean future options. So I think it is fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 orphek OR3-90 (1 sky blue, 1 blue plus)

OP
OP
R

Resz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 orphek OR3-90 (1 sky blue, 1 blue plus)
Hmm, currently I am thinking of using a kessil ap9x and in the future if required, I will add the OR3-90, do you think that is fine?

Also just asking when u mean 2 orphek OR3-90, will that suffice for a mixed reef tank? or do I need to pair with a orphek atlantik v4 g2 full? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm, currently I am thinking of using a kessil ap9x and in the future if required, I will add the OR3-90, do you think that is fine?

Also just asking when u mean 2 orphek OR3-90, will that suffice for a mixed reef tank? or do I need to pair with a orphek atlantik v4 g2 full? Thanks
That’ll work

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back