Need help diagnosing and treatment(if any)

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had what I think is an algae bloom in my 1yr old reef. It has since cleared up today and now looking closely, my hippo tang is scratching a bit on rocks which is most likely ich. Could be from stress from the bloom.
However, my coral beauty fish has a white spot on its head which I know obviously is very bad but not exactly sure what it is or if it is treatable.
Corals have also diminished a bit. My birds nest has some spots where it is like raw and no polyps.
All leathers such as Kenya trees and finger corals all do not look right either. As well as my Duncan.
That being said, some of my acros look to be ok so I just don’t get this.

I did a full test of literally everything (besides minor minor elements) and nothing is off.

Ph:7.8
Alk: 8.7
Phosphate: 0.06
Nitrate: less than 5ppm
Calc: 450
Mag: 1400
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_3672.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG
IMG_3674.JPG

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like a contaminant? Perhaps some water changes, say 25% today another 25% tomorrow. What test are you using for ammonia?

And what is the salinity?

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost sounds like a contaminant? Perhaps some water changes, say 25% today another 25% tomorrow. What test are you using for ammonia?

And what is the salinity?

Only ammonia I own is api.
It’s a 1yr old tank I’ve never really kept up with ammonia after my cycle.

Salinity is 1.025

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To effect corals and fish i want to think its chemical in nature.
Cleaning agent, or air freshener got in the tank somehow perhaps. Or some other chemical.

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any medications you can dose directly to a reef tank or do fish ALWAYS have to be chased and taken out for treatment?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics dosed to the dt could kill the bacteria in the tank causing a decline in o2 as well as ammonia. Its safer to dose outside the dt where there is less biologics and also smaller volume to correct any unwanted consequences.

You could attempt to feed the antibiotics with a binder.

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics dosed to the dt could kill the bacteria in the tank causing a decline in o2 as well as ammonia. Its safer to dose outside the dt where there is less biologics and also smaller volume to correct any unwanted consequences.

You could attempt to feed the antibiotics with a binder.

Thanks. I just don’t get it. Been in this hobby for 10yrs. Never had an issue where all rest come back fine, little high phosphates but nothing to harm like this. I literally am just lost. One fish died, one fish scratching on rocks most likely Ich, and now powder blue is looking squeamish and signs of fin rot. Lost all my monti’s and a couple leathers. Yet then again a couple acroporas seem ok knock on wood and other corals look fine.. makes no sense to me.
Guess never stop learning. Sent out a triton test so maybe that will come back with something helpful. ‍♂️

OP
OP
JCSReefing

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3750.JPG
IMG_3751.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG

Anyone help identify if this is fin rot? Or what else may be cause my tang to lose color and seem to be withering away and skinny? It is eating ok but has loss of fins and some blemishes on its side?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back