OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strongly advise a quarantine system. But if that not currently available then it is what is. What else is in ur tank? Inverts? Other fish? Etc.
This is what I currently have outside of the non-infected Chromi and Damsel: For now, I think I am going to remove the infected Chromi, non-infected Chromi and Azule Damsel and euthanize unless someone recommends otherwise. Like covid, this sounds like an invisible killer than it's not worth the risk. My question though, if I create a QT tank, what's the point? If all fish are potential carriers, and even if I treat the QT tank, sounds like there will always be an unknown concern.

Lawnmower Blenny
Firefish Goby
Diamond Watchman Goby
Pajama Cardinal
2 Clownfish
Six Line Wrasse
4 small corals
Emerald Crabs, Hermit Crabs, Snails, etc

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the corals (this weekend), I did dip them in Seachem Reef Dip. Tons of parasites, bugs, whatever came off. I trust the stuff I get at the lfs Strictly Reef. Their selection is just super small without a 2 hour drive to Sacramento. However, I won't trust Petco again. I saw a much worse instance of this in another Petco tank, but it didn't dawn on me until today that all that water probably circulates amongst all their tanks.
Isn’t seachem dip more a healing dip for use after fragging rather than for disease control?

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the term dragging. Can you explain? Couldn't find anything on Google about it. Kept getting fishing tips lol.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not going give no advice as i only know what i have researched myself and no first hand experience but i will throw a question into the mix.
I read that once uronema is in your tank then thats it,its in your tank and no fallow period will solve it no matter how long.but instead of throwing the rock that costs alot money away,could you put it in a bleach bath and soak it for a giving time and then some fresh water rinses / soaks then let the bleach evaporate away naturally out of water?
As my rocks cost me couple hundred pounds and wouldnt want to just bin it,if it could be saved.i understand after disinfecting the tank and possible rocks all biological life is completely dead and would to re- cycle tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ying Yang, I am curious if 99.9% isopropyl alcohol will do the same thing? Much easier to evaporate than it drying inside the rock.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not got any clue without reading up on it.
My question about the bleach was me trying to get some advice for you from more experienced guys as im really new to saltwater side of hobby.like 9 weeks only sorry.so wouldn't even like to read up on what you just asked then give you my opinion incase anything went wrong .im sure someone who tackled uronema before can tell you if can save the rocks or not.
Im kind of guy if can save money then save it i shall ^_^ as no point just wasting just because you can so to speak

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pour enough chemicals to kill any of the parasites. Then drain the water and start fresh. This would, unfortunately, kill other beneficial microorganisms, but uronema cannot be treated conventionally.

Actually, Uronema is ubiquitous, I've isolated it from many aquariums that had no sick fish at all. It normally feeds on bacteria. For unknown reasons, it invades the muscle tissue of some newly acquired chromis, wrasse and anthias. Once those susceptible fish take a hit, things, settle down. No need to nuke the tank.

jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am brand spanking new to these forums and this is a brand new 32g Biocube that I have. I am not new to saltwater tanks, but this it has been many years since I have had one. With that said, I had two previous other tanks, a 29g Biocube and a 65g custom setup. However, this is my first time dealing with any type of disease in one of my saltwater tanks. I have dealt with ich in a freshwater, but that's about it.

1621963608787.png

Living in Reno I only have 2 lfs's I can go to, Petco and Strictly Reef. The latter, is awesome, but I am finding Petco to be a bit sketchy for buying fish. I got two green chromi's from Petco and today I see this on one of them. My questions are:

1 - What is it?
2 - Can it spread and how quickly do I need to worry about that?
3 - Without a quarantine tank, how do I handle and what meds do I need?
4 - Factoring in the previous questions, should I consider the Chromi a loss and get rid of him instead of trying to treat?

Note, everything else in the tank looks healthy, including the corals. Thanks all in advance!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

As the others said that looks like Uronema. It is only going to spread to fish that are susceptible to it: Chromis, wrasse and anthias. You can't really treat this, not even with a quarantine tank. I would avoid buying fish from Petco. If you don't have a quarantine tank, consider buying pre-quarantined fish (there are some vendors here I think). At the very least avoid green chromis, the mortality rate is just too high on them (>60% in the first 40 days last time I measured it).

Here is an article I wrote up on Uronema:

Jay

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infected Chromi has been put down. I still have the other Chromi in the tank and am going to use him as a sort of canary to see if still an issue. Do any of you recommend me adding any chemicals to the tank to try and help the situation "just in case"? Note, I do have some small corals, crabs, etc.

Note, I did just buy Ruby Reef's Fishaid Kit Nano.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably would not add anything. I hate adding chemicals and would rather take the chance of losing the other chromis. Most fish can live in a tank with uronema just fine. You just want to avoid a few types from now on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The infected Chromi has been put down. I still have the other Chromi in the tank and am going to use him as a sort of canary to see if still an issue. Do any of you recommend me adding any chemicals to the tank to try and help the situation "just in case"? Note, I do have some small corals, crabs, etc.

Note, I did just buy Ruby Reef's Fishaid Kit Nano.
Definitely don't add anything to the tank - there isn't anything that will help, and a number of meds that could potentially harm your inverts...

Jay

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back