Need help diagnosing Yellow Coris Wrasse

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'd really appreciate some help in identifying a potential culprit for the issues my Yellow Coris Wrasse is facing. I recently (1 month ago) noticed that he was starting to lose some color as well as deal with some deterioration of his fins. I was hoping that it was just a temporary issue and that he'd recover in time, but it's remained more or less the same. He's always out in the open, been eating like a pig (as always) and actively hunts for pods throughout the day. His respiration is normal, but I have seen him yawn a couple of times here and there. I haven't noticed any overt aggression from other fish, but maybe some is happening after lights out. I've had this guy for almost 4 years. My last Coris wrasse lived with us for 5 years, so I'm not sure if he's just getting older and his immune system isn't as strong. I have no problem setting up a QT tank, but worry about stressing him out if we are getting towards the end of his life. Let me know what you think.

Thank you for your time.

LBarry1.jpg
LBarry2.jpg
LBarry6.jpg
LBarry7.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank with it? The wrasse sure looks like it’s being tagged by something - flukes will do that, but the fish has been in your tank so long, unless you recently added other fish, that isn’t it.
I worry that the dynamics in the tank have changed and another fish is going after it. Fish are pretty sly, you may never see it happen. One trick is to video the tank on your phone and leave the room so you don’t distract the potential culprit.
This could also be a primary bacterial disease, but those are fairly rare.
Jay

Last edited:

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the average life span of a coris wrasse?

Looks like bacterial or old age to me. What are the tank mates and how do they look?

(I wouldn’t worry about yawning, seen many fish do it.)

OP
OP
Osaurus

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank with it? The wrasse sure looks like it’s being tagged by something - flukes will do that, but the fish has been in your tank so long, unless you recently added other fish, that isn’t it.
I worry that the dynamics in the tank have changed and another fish is going after it. Fish are pretty sly, you may never see it happen. One truck is to video the tank on your phone and leave the room so you don’t distract the potential culprit.
This could also be a primary bacterial disease, but those are fairly rare.
Jay
His tank mates are a Watchman Goby, 1 pair of clowns, a Royal Gramma (who all do their own thing) and the most recently added (3 months ago) was a trio of Bimac Anthias. The largest female Bimac is currently transitioning to male and has been somewhat bossy, but it always seems directed at the smaller Anthias (who look unscathed). All other fish look great. I'll do my best to video the tank to get a better idea of their interactions throughout the day. Thanks for the response, Jay.
What is the average life span of a coris wrasse?

Looks like bacterial or old age to me. What are the tank mates and how do they look?

(I wouldn’t worry about yawning, seen many fish do it.)
From what I could find, 5-7 years in captivity. All of his tank mates look fat and happy. He's the only one dealing with this problem. I just feel bad for him. Thanks for the help, Wen.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back