need help diagnosis spots

strangeobject

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a niger trigger i have had it a for about 3 weeks and these spots showed up - he still eats, swims act like a trigger - all water para. are good -
20151222_150934.jpg
20151222_151042.jpg
20151222_151057.jpg

20151222_151129.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like flat worms or flukes. Prazipro will take care of it for you. Great pictures by the way!
follow dosing directions on the bottle. Can be done in the DT with caution. dose once then 5-7 days later do a water change and dose again to get any newly hatched flukes before they can lay eggs themselves.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Neobenedenia monogeneans (flukes). They show up well on a dark colored fish. Treat with Prazipro (more info below).

Also see here for more detailed info on flukes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flukes-–-general-guidelines.224423/

Prazipro (praziquantel): Treats flukes, black ich, and some internal parasites (worms).

How To Treat - In either a quarantine or display tank, dose Prazipro at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons of water. DO NOT OVERDOSE (especially with wrasses), try not to mix with other medications (for various reasons), and provide additional gas exchange while treating with Prazi. Wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

Prazipro is generally considered reef safe, although it may kill any tube worms/feathers dusters you have. It may also eradicate bristle worms. If you have mass quantities of these, the resulting die-off can lead to an ammonia spike. After treatment is done, activated carbon may be used to remove any residuals (if you need to use a different medication next). If using a protein skimmer post-treatment, be advised that it will “over skim” for at least a couple of weeks.

Pros - Reef safe, effective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Mild appetite suppression, moderate oxygen depletion, wrasses are sensitive to overdosing.

OP
OP
strangeobject

strangeobject

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for the quick response to the question that is what i love about the reef community!!! the trigger has a clean bill of health and the flukes are gone ...god bless amazone prime--lol
A buddy of mine just sent me pics of his Orange Shoulder tang. we got the fish from the same place (now know where to not get fish from !) he does not look good maybe you all cant help out again he has stopped eating and is breathing hard - the dark grey started at the base of the tail and has progressed- its mouth looked as if it had fungus but closer look looks like the skin is retracting--
20151227_164117.jpg
20151227_164156.jpg
20151227_164219.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@strangeobject That's probably a bacterial infection. Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Furan-2 or Kanaplex. Your best bet would actually be to treat with all 3 of these: Furan-2, Seachem Kanaplex, Seachem Metroplex. That combination provides the widest possible spectrum of treatment for fish with serious infections.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back