Need help feeding

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys need alittle help i have a 125 mixed reef zoas chalices and acro as long as i feed every day everything is happy but if i miss a day everything recieds so if guessing the skimmer is taking everything out of the water and leaving nothing in the water i feed rods reef mysis and dose zooplantoon and omega 3 any ideas how to keep the corals happy if i cut back on feeding
Thank u

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should not really be possible. What do mean “recieds” exactly? Skimmers are not that efficient. What are your NO3 and PO4 levels?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po is 0 havent checked no3

What tester are you using for PO4? How do you control PO4 and NO3? Could be starving the corals and they may need some nitrogen and phosphate.

Could you explain exactly what’s happening if you skip and feeding?

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am runing phos band remover in a reactor as soon as i miss a feeding my chalices mouths are open and the body of themshrinks

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am runing phos band remover in a reactor as soon as i miss a feeding my chalices mouths are open and the body of themshrinks

Ok, first need to tAke the GFO offline. Although low PO4 is good zero is bad. Next get a Nitrate test kit ASAP, if you order it online try getting a water test done at LFS for NO3. I shot for about .02-.05 PO4 and 2-8ppm NO3. Normally corals do not require daily feedings. The mouth gaping open isn’t good, so the mouth will close when fed? Can/do you confirm it is moving food to and then into its mouth?

Your corals could be starving due to a lack of nutrient (NO3 & PO4) in the water to use for photosynthesis. Won’t really know until you get a Nitrate test get. I recommend the Red Sea Pro kit for Nitrate. if you don’t like your current PO4 kit Red Sea has a Algae Control Pro kit with both and could save $. There is a really good tester for PO4 that’s is much more accurate and easy to read. It’s the Hanna Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Checker and a very worthy investment. I strongly suggest getting this Checker along with the RS Pro Nitrate kit.

Hanna Checker, make sure when you purchase it is the “ULR”.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phos...eter-hi736-hanna-checker-hc-marine-water.html

Nitrate
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-nitrate-pro-no3-test-kit.html

OP
OP
gonewild34

gonewild34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankx bif i unplugged the gfo and they seem happier acros arent liking it but i dont have that many chalices seem to be growing now the gfo was the.problem

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back