Need help figuring out what is killing my LPS

shibashake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a while ago about my euphyllia dying. That problem continued with the euphyllia doing great and thriving for 4-6 months and then suddenly declining and dying. I figured euphyllia just wasn’t for me but then recently my showpiece lobo that I have had for years suddenly started declining and my acans that I’ve grown from a single head to large full colonies died. When inspecting my lobo today, I found that it had a number of large symmetrical holes in the bottom. It almost looked like someone used a large drill bit on it. I dipped it and nothing came out but then I also found that there were white worm like things wrapped around the base of some of the heads that could only be seen when the heads receded a bit due to the dip. I’ve attached some pics. Any ideas what this may be? Two different pests or same one?

FBD2A717-116A-4D84-92BF-F5A71EA4AB27.jpeg D43FD4F1-EB3F-4395-86F8-ACF119B7D3D1.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eww not sure but hoping you can find out!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The hard white tubes are feather dusters, which are harmless. The wormy bits from the dip are pretty much impossible to ID, but may have been feather dusters. No idea what drilled the holes- shine a flashlight in and look? There are rock-boring clams that make holes in rocks.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with such a range of crals suddenly declining i think parameters should be the first concern

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything change in your system?

And new coral additions before they started declining?

Any dirty hands in the tank right before the start of the decline or a new product you started using?

Rodi water? New membranes, resin, blocks?

A lot of things can be going on, just trying to stimulate a conversation to help lead to a culprit. Could be parameters, a pests,or some some of coral disease.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are feather dusters they’re harmless. As far as the holes the only thing I can think making holes that big are mantis shrimp and they wouldn’t be eating coral. Not sure what you’re looking at here but I don’t think it’s pests based on this ans the wide variety of corals you are losing. Most flatworms and other coral eaters are specific to one type of coral

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back