Need help for neighbor. BTA issue?

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My older neighbor’s son set up a saltwater aquarium in their home a couple years ago and is away working out of state. One of the livestock is a rose bubble tip anemone. He wanted my advice because he knows I have aquariums (not realizing I’m a newb myself to saltwater). He said that the anemone used to glow in the evenings and now it doesn’t anymore. It’s gotten more brown and less of a pink glow. I assume that means it has expelled it’s zooxanthellae, but I have no idea how to help him troubleshoot why the anemone expelled it.

Any advice on how to help? It’s definitely not bleached at this point (I’ve seen bleached anemones at petco and they were stark white; this one is more of a dingy tan with a bit of pink under white lights, but no glow under blue). I could also use help with how to revive the anemone’s zooxanthellae. I’ve read that some people will feed them daily to help and that others advise not to feed so frequently as they can have issues being overfed also. So I’m really unsure of what to tell him!

He’s considering trying to sell it to a pet store. Not sure they would take the anemone in this case since it isn’t a recent purchase. It appears healthy, closed tight mouth and will eat when fed. However, it has lost its bubbles and doesn’t glow. All help is appreciated.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting does he have and how long was it in the tank ?

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a couple years old. He doesn’t know the exact timing. He has 2 T5 bulbs and leds. I will have to go back over to see what specific kind they are.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a couple years old. He doesn’t know the exact timing. He has 2 T5 bulbs and leds. I will have to go back over to see what specific kind they are.
The anemone does have zooxanthellae because it’s brown , so it not becoming bleached
By glow do you mean like this

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
037F6CCF-91A3-43CC-8B98-EB604DCC41C0.png

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time the t5 bulbs were replaced?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high lighting and excess nutrients will usually cause browning.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high lighting and excess nutrients will usually cause browning.

Okay, I wondered about nutrients. I will probably take over my test kits and see where he is. I’m not sure what testing supplies they have.

He does have his lights on to various degrees starting from early morning to early evening. I did ask him about that. The T5s are on for 6 hours or so and the LEDs come on in stages... first blue, then red, then white all afternoon, and then the reverse starting at dinner. Perhaps I should tell him to dial back the amount of time they are on?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I honestly highly doubt if his son has been gone for 6 months the lights are so far gone they are causing this.

Chances are much higher that there has been no maintenance or minimal maintenance done to the tank and either media needs to be replaced, possibly some water changes...etc.

Set it and forget it for 6 months doesn't work well for SW tanks that are not fish only.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I honestly highly doubt if his son has been gone for 6 months the lights are so far gone they are causing this.

Chances are much higher that there has been no maintenance or minimal maintenance done to the tank and either media needs to be replaced, possibly some water changes...etc.

Set it and forget it for 6 months doesn't work well for SW tanks that are not fish only.

Yeah, I feel for him honestly. It’s a really caring guy and wants to make sure the tank is okay, but doesn’t know all of the ins and outs because it wasn’t his to begin with. It was just left behind. I do think his son might have come home once early in the summer and worked on the tank then. But I have no clue to what extent that maintenance was.

Okay, I’m going to help him test his water, do a water change, and get some new bulbs at the very least. I’ll try to get some more info when I go over as well.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe it's color hasn't changed. Maybe the lighting has changed. Are one of the T5 bulbs out? Maybe the LED settings got changed?

Back