need help for rubble for my nano reef

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished making my 10 gallon nano reef tank and was told that a shrimp goby pair would be good, however i was also told that just a sandy substrate wouldn't be enough as I'd need something for the shrimp to burrow with. I'm not exactly sure what would be the best thing to use so any tips would be appreciated

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished making my 10 gallon nano reef tank and was told that a shrimp goby pair would be good, however i was also told that just a sandy substrate wouldn't be enough as I'd need something for the shrimp to burrow with. I'm not exactly sure what would be the best thing to use so any tips would be appreciated

Sand typically doesn't pack well and tunnels collapse. Argonite or other large grain/small rubble type substrates works better than sand for our aquarium friends that like to burrow.

OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand typically doesn't pack well and tunnels collapse. Argonite or other large grain/small rubble type substrates works better than sand for our aquarium friends that like to burrow.
Alright, do I need to completely replace the sand or would a small amount just on top o it suffice?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, do I need to completely replace the sand or would a small amount just on top o it suffice?

So, your tank is small, just 10 gallons. Normally I'd say add on top of what you have, but you might not have space. If you do have space, then just add. Sometimes its personal preference.

If you do decide to take out sand, save it because you can always put it into future tank. I've a hodge podge of different substrates, with smallest (sand) always working its way to the bottom. Little fish that like to sift sand (think young Court Jesters) find it easier to spit out sand, so they hang out where I have more sand (because my diamond goby will sort substrates some days lol).

OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, your tank is small, just 10 gallons. Normally I'd say add on top of what you have, but you might not have space. If you do have space, then just add. Sometimes its personal preference.

If you do decide to take out sand, save it because you can always put it into future tank. I've a hodge podge of different substrates, with smallest (sand) always working its way to the bottom. Little fish that like to sift sand (think young Court Jesters) find it easier to spit out sand, so they hang out where I have more sand (because my diamond goby will sort substrates some days lol).
Great thanks! I'll leave a little bit of sand at the bottom just so that I can justify having bought it lol. But i'll make sure to make it deep enough for them to enjoy :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back