Need help for used jbj 24g Reef setp

prasadavala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a used jbj 24g set up . But I'm new and can't judge whether the live rock and coral are healthy or not , please check the pictures and suggest if I have to do anything. Looks like old owner did not clean the tank for long time. I'm looking to see if any infections in the live rock or coral?For me it doesn't look Nice. Currently i kept all in buckets with power heads and heater running. I'm thinking of curing live rock to use as a fresh. meantime want to keep only fish in the aquarium. Please suggest...

fis.jpg

sis2.jpg

Last edited:

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my .... You have some work ahead ...
Lots of questions first:
Is this how the tank looks now? Is the tank set up in your home or are these pics of what it looked like in the sellers home?
If you haven't set it up yet and stuff is in buckets .... Clean that tank!! Read online how to safely clean. And get all the rocks in circulated heated container ASAP
I can't even tell what corals are in there it is so dirty
Where is the fish now?

How much did you pay?? I pray not much unless you got some good lights etc
How many fish do u have and what kind?
What kind of equipment came with it?
You can salvage the rocks as live rock but you will need time to cure properly - time can fix most things. If a fish was living in there it is a good thing .... Certainly lots of bacteria to work with! :)
How much experience with saltwater do you have?

OP
OP
P

prasadavala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot for the reply. I'm very new to saltwater aquarium.The pictures are from seller home. Currently 2 fish and 2 snails are in buckets and live rock in other buckets.I could see only one Coral. I only paid $50 with stock jbj 24 lead dome. It came with almost everything refractometer, testers, food, salt. owner was relocating and gave me all. I cleaned the tank and will post pics.Yes, fish was living in there when i got it.

I want to salvage the rock as soon as possible and start with fish only, not sure what to do with Coral?

Last edited:

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a local fish store (LFS) that will take the fish? They are first priority. If you want to try and keep them you need them in heated circulating saltwater - if you can't do that relatively soon you should consider giving them to LFS
Are they in water that was in tank or fresh saltwater? Need to make sure salinity of water is ok and watch ammonia
You didn't overpay so don't worry about that .... Stuff alone is worth it
I sent you a message - look in your inbox
Carla

OP
OP
P

prasadavala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yes, we have Petco here. I kept them in a bucket with salt water and i tested water with refractometer and reading is 1.0027/30
I'm using heater in the bucket. Anyway i cleaned the tank and will move the fish as soon as possible.

only issue is the coral? i need to sanitize it before moving it to tank..

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh very nice! You got it looking great! It will be a great little tank. But if you do fish only be sure and do not get any fish that will outgrow it .... Many fish get too big
No tangs! :D

Back