Need help from anyone who owns or has experience with the Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer. I can't tell if mines broken.

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends,

I purchased the tunze 9004 protein skimmer for my very young and brand new reef tank and I followed all the instructions, it's in the tank, set up, plugged in, the air screw is all the way loose, I waited the couple hours to full day the manual recommended for a start up period, I look in the cup, no foam or bubbles whatsoever. I'm kinda new so idk if a skimmer is supposed to show any like, lights, sounds, movements in the water that indicate the device is even working or if it is just really quiet and it takes a really long time to generate bubbles or something? I'm really hoping it isn't just broken or anything and I just missed something.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dont own your skimmer.
It is not uncommon for a skimmer to take some time to create skimate.

Questions.
Are there bubbles in the body?
Did you clean with vinegar before use?

Have patience it can take a while for skimate production.
I have heard some can take a week or more to break in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive had the 9001 and the 9004 and they do nothing. The hole on bottom barely secures pump and it bubble inside the housing all day and did Nothing
I went to the icecap k-1 and much better- works like a mini full size skimmer

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dont own your skimmer.
It is not uncommon for a skimmer to take some time to create skimate.

Questions.
Are there bubbles in the body?
Did you clean with vinegar before use?

Have patience it can take a while for skimate production.
I have heard some can take a week or more to break in.

No bubbles from what I can tell without taking it out and apart, even looking in from the top I don't see any, and I did not clean with vinegar before use. I might have to take your word for it that it could take up to a week and be patient.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the 9001 and the 9004 and they do nothing. The hole on bottom barely secures pump and it bubble inside the housing all day and did Nothing
I went to the icecap k-1 and much better- works like a mini full size skimmer
If mine acts the same I might have to look into the k-1 myself, thanks for the rec!

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the airline tube (see #1) pop off from the attachment where it connects to the skimmer from time to time on Tunze skimmers. When this happens, sometimes bubbles don't form... Double check that the tube is connected securely on both ends. Bubbles are the first sign of it mechanically working though, so keep fiddling around to trouble shoot and see if you can get bubble production.

12027_1.jpg

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the airline tube (see #1) pop off from the attachment where it connects to the skimmer from time to time on Tunze skimmers. When this happens, sometimes bubbles don't form... Double check that the tube is connected securely on both ends. Bubbles are the first sign of it mechanically working though, so keep fiddling around to trouble shoot and see if you can get bubble production.

12027_1.jpg
Upon taking it apart and inspecting the inside, the little propeller wasn't even on the motor! After reassembling it correctly, it works perfectly!! Almost too perfectly, it's producing a lot of bubbles, now I gotta learn how to tune a protein skimmer. Thank you so much!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back