Need Help: How to deal with micro bubbles on new generation skimmers? (Bottom discharge/no effluent pipe types)?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have realized that pretty much all of the latest gen skimmers utilize the awful bottom discharge (like the Red Sea RSK series) or pipeless discharge (like the AquaMaxx DCF series).

This makes redirecting the effluent to either a dedicated bubble trap or an "up stream chamber" in the sump for microbubble reduction impossible (I think?).

I for instance have a 3 chamber sump (no room for a skimmer in the first chamber) and the skimmer is in the second chamber. Despite putting the skimmer on a piece of bioblock and wedging bioblock in the bubble trap between the skimmer chamber and the return chamber my RSK continues to absolutely fill my display with microbubbles. It also causes quite a bit of air to accumulate inside the macro reality actor that shares the chamber with the skimmer.
unnamed~2.png
PXL_20201111_024436552.jpg
PXL_20201111_024427694.NIGHT.jpg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you put a more dense sponge in the bubble trap between 2 & 3? I have a RS 170 and the stock sponge is not very restrictive at all. I don't have the micro bubble problem w/ my skimmer so have not tried to solve that issue on this tank. I use this type of sponge in another tank and have had good luck with it. Just need to clean it more often than the other sponge. I just get a spare and swap them and clean the old one.

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.00.19 PM.png

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can and am going to add a sponge since I'm not too worried about it being a detritus trap. However the amount of air that it causes to collect inside of my macro reactor is still problematic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back