Need help I tried everything with calcium!!

lazerben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon Red Sea Max nano and oooo my gosh I tried everything from weekly water changes to daily to even switching salt mixes. Calcium stays between 500-530pm and my alkalinity gets dosed everyday to keep at 9.0. How can I lower my calcium to preferred levels I don’t know what else to do please help. Saltwater I get from LfS has calcium of around 450 and I dose alkalinity with Red Sea foundation A alkalinity.

OP
OP
lazerben

lazerben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s roughly 2 to 3 months
20B9AC7A-0943-4AB7-8278-8118D4297A66.jpeg

OP
OP
lazerben

lazerben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hannah test but I’ll get different tests and check it out. That’s what I’m confused about why is it so high without dosing? Red Sea foundation test says 490 and Hannah 525ppm. Been like this for a month . I will continue to naturally see if it goes down and if not what should I do?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hannah test but I’ll get different tests and check it out. That’s what I’m confused about why is it so high without dosing? Red Sea foundation test says 490 and Hannah 525ppm. Been like this for a month . I will continue to naturally see if it goes down and if not what should I do?

The main concern with high calcium would be precipitation. So as long as your tank doesn't look like a snow globe, just let it drop on its own. It might take awhile since you don't have a lot of corals.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon Red Sea Max nano and oooo my gosh I tried everything from weekly water changes to daily to even switching salt mixes. Calcium stays between 500-530pm and my alkalinity gets dosed everyday to keep at 9.0. How can I lower my calcium to preferred levels I don’t know what else to do please help. Saltwater I get from LfS has calcium of around 450 and I dose alkalinity with Red Sea foundation A alkalinity.
What salt are you using? Some have higher levels on purpose.
How are you checking salinity? If your salinity is off and higher than you think, your Ca, Mg etc will test higher.
You could also take a sample to your lfs and have them check salinity and Ca to see how their numbers compare.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back