Need help ID please and is this good. Has been harmless so far.

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201017_081719.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Colonial hydroids and they capable of stinging neighbor corals.
Best recourse is to cut the base and remove the colony or starve them by preventing food from reaching them. They favor pods and brine shrimp. Directing flow towards them, Not at them will prevent food particles from getting to them

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely mini feather dusters, completely harmless hitchhiker. A surefire way to tell if they are feather dusters or hydroids is to blow on them if touch them. If they close up slowly then they are hydroids, if they instantly close up then they are worms.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like white feather dusters or hydroids like anyone said. See if they close up quick. If it’s feather dusters that’s really cool! I’ve never heard of white ones... it must have something to do with the mucus or material it’s using to build the tube

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonial hydroids and they capable of stinging neighbor corals.
Best recourse is to cut the base and remove the colony or starve them by preventing food from reaching them. They favor pods and brine shrimp. Directing flow towards them, Not at them will prevent food particles from getting to them
+1 for the Colonial Hydroids.
Have a look the tentacles, they aren't feathers like, they are more and like strings, which have the hydroids usually, and if you look more, all the peace LR it's covered from the bottom to the middle, and the MAIN: The feather dusters almost never grow on the lighted side of rock, you can see them mainly or always on shaded areas, but never like that (only if the rock have changed position). The Hydroids use the lighted areas.
If the OP disturb them, they will hide, but a bit slowly not like the feather duster worms.
And there is more, they are all connected at some point and share between the nutrients, that's the way how they cover the weaker hydroids.

OP
OP
S

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these in my tank, and they are dusters
Yes it is the Worm/feather duster looking thing. They retract quickly to light or disturbance, and are spreading quite fast. Also very small only like an inch tall.

OP
OP
S

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Colonial Hydroids.
Have a look the tentacles, they aren't feathers like, they are more and like strings, which have the hydroids usually, and if you look more, all the peace LR it's covered from the bottom to the middle, and the MAIN: The feather dusters almost never grow on the lighted side of rock, you can see them mainly or always on shaded areas, but never like that (only if the rock have changed position). The Hydroids use the lighted areas.
If the OP disturb them, they will hide, but a bit slowly not like the feather duster worms.
And there is more, they are all connected at some point and share between the nutrients, that's the way how they cover the weaker hydroids.
They started on another piece of rock out ion the bottom in the shade. And retract fast not slow.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters not a hydroids.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back