Need help identify/battle plan

Springbok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

After reading alot of articles here on the forum and not being able to solve my problem, I decided to post a thread and ask for some proffesional assistance, I hope someone can, and is willing to help me out. Pictures of the tank/problems/under the microscope attached.

I think (I am quiet sure of that, that I face a dino related problem, however I am not sure on identifaction of the species).

The problem in several steps:

1. I face red patches in the sand on the right side of the tank at the substrate and in the left top on the life rock (upon inspection under the microscope I found Cyano bacteria as well as small Dino's).
2. I face green and brownish patches on the sand and low life rock on the opposite side of the tank, upon inspection under the microscope I also found small Dino's as well as as Cyano bacteria.
3. I face long brownish strings on my gorgonians (which now refuse to open) my zoanthids (same story) and my Hystrix corals, upon inspection under the microscope I literally found thousand and thousands of Dino's.

Situation of the tank:

The tank is a 200 liter tank with a 40 liter sump, I use a Hydra 52 HD, 2 tunze Powerheads and 1 Tunze main pump, I also use an oversized skimmer and an 11 watt UV (after the last dino outbreak which literally smothered all corals, way worse than now). I tried using Fauna Marine Dino X with limited succes and also Blue vet Cyano clean and the German Korallenzucht Cyano clean all with limited succes.

Since I live in the Netherlands Chemiclean is not an option since that is illegal and unavailable here (due to the anti biotic components).

The tank houses mushroom species (rhodactic, Ricordea & discosoma), Several Euphyillia's, several acropora's, several leather corals & several montipora's which are all doing fine, the only corals having diffulcties are: my 3 different gorgonians, my different Seriotopora Hystrix & my zoanthids.

The fish present (sorry tang police) are: 1 purple tang, 1 picasso tang, 2 occelaris, 2 kauderni's, a lawnmower blenny & a centropyge Bispinosa, which are all doing fine (also some heremits some snails, and 2 red banded shrimp also doing fine).

Water parameters:

Salt: 1.026
Temp 26.0
Ph: 8.0
No2 0
Nh4 0
No3 10
Phosphate 0 (i know this is part of my problem I started dosing po4 3weeks ago but still cannot measure it with my testkist)
CA 420
Mg 1240

The tank has been running since march 2020, using Idonesian Live rock that I bought fresh for my previous (smaller aquarium) and cycled a year in my other tank, added with dry dead rock.
All corals not affected by the Dino's are showing good growth.

Kindly help me formulate a battle plan and help me identify the problem (dino strain) @taricha I read wonderfull things about you and hope you can help me with Identification.

Thanks! cyano.jpg dinio.jpg gorgo.jpg greenleft.jpg redright.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2020-11-08 at 18.46.06.mp4
    4.3 MB
OP
OP
S

Springbok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owh and I forgot to mention: In my old small tank I did a blackout for 3 days to combat the same problem, apart from the fact that these guys were back a while later, I rather not do a black out again as my corals did not really like that (fire montipora nearly died, didnt show polyps again for nearly 3 months, and my Euhpyllia's turned almost completely white) both did make a recovery though.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video I certainly saw ostreopsis swim pattern. It is possible there are other species as well. If you can use your phone's zoom feature, we can get better magnification.

You will need to raise NO3 and PO4 to >10 and > .1 respectively.
The PO4 will continue to rapidly disappear until the rock & sand is saturated. Keep raising your dose until you get there.
You will need a Hanna ULR to measure phosphate or phosphorus.
You will need a UV sterilizer with a new bulb. 1 watt per 3 gallons. Run very slow 200 gallons per hour or so.
Do a temporary (ugly) install of the UV with the feed pump drawing directly from the display tank and returning to it.
Once you have the UV installed, you can black out the tank for a couple days to get the dinos swimming through the UV.
You should run some activated carbon to absorb the toxins that ostreos are famous for.

The red and green cyano will get worse for a while. Just vacuum out the matts frequently.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back