Need help identifying algae or something else?

Ahetrick74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help identifying from the videos. With the white lights on it appears to be grayish/greenish/whitish and seems to grow in shaded places like crevices or the underside of rock. It had been slowly disappearing with some tooth brush scrubbing but is now returning with a vengeance. Can anyone identify and recommend treatment?
I do have a cuc with various types of snails, a conch, pincushion urchin, Peppermint shrimp, and various crabs. Nothing seems to touch it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PaVrXUZHcsBiWTda7

Nitrate - 15ppm -higher than I'd like but I only have softies.
Phosphate - 0.03ppm
Mag- 1300
Calc- 440
Salinity 1.025
Alk - 9

Last edited:

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some googling, possibly calothrix?

Do you run carbon? I read a thread that some people said they had this and it increased when they ran carbon.
I just replaced carbon in my sump and noticed this algae the next day. This could be coincidence, it may have already been there and I didn't notice...

OP
OP
A

Ahetrick74

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some googling, possibly calothrix?

Do you run carbon? I read a thread that some people said they had this and it increased when they ran carbon.
I just replaced carbon in my sump and noticed this algae the next day. This could be coincidence, it may have already been there and I didn't notice...
I just have a 40 gal so I've been running Chemipure pouches, which does have carbon.
Nothing in my tank will touch this stuff and it doesn't have any bubbles on it. Using chemi clean to treat red cyano didn't touch it either.
I saw a post on here somewhere about somewhere about something, I think it was called

Lyngbya.​

Here's the thread I started through...
But I haven't found a specific cause or treatment.

Last edited:

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a 40 gal so I've been running Chemipure pouches, which does have carbon.
Nothing in my tank will touch this stuff and it doesn't have any bubbles on it. Using chemi clean to treat red cyano didn't touch it either.
I saw a post on here somewhere about somewhere about something, I think it was called

Lyngbya.​

Here's the thread I started through...
But I haven't found a specific cause or treatment.
I have this as well and saw your thread. I don't think it is calothrix or lyngbia. Has yours gotten any better or worse? I just started Dr. Tim's re-fresh/waste away treatment in hopes it will help.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back