Need help identifying disease (maybe Uronema) in Clown

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
not too long ago I had to take out all of my fish from the DT and move them to QT tank to treat serval disease, since then I've learned a lot about fish disease and got myself many medications.
I wanted to do an experiment with H2O2 and I found the perfect candidates, I went to my LFS and most of the fish in the tank showed signs of diseases. from ich to Lymphocytes virus - they had every disease you'd ever wanted to see!
I found one tank that had 6 misbar clowns that looked like they had Brook, I asked the guy at the store to pick the 2 that looked the worse - heavy breathing and at the bottom of the tank, those that looks like they won't make it till tomorrow.
I took both of them home and did a 30 minute H2O2 bath, the fish handle it well.
Now thats where things gets complicated, both of my QT tanks are currently occupied so I needed to put them in a bucket with my test black mollies that had a full dose of Cupramine (0.53) unfortunately I couldn't observe the fish there, they were there for around 2 days and I'm preety sure that the ammonia was insane since I didn't had anything to handle it there. Yesterday I did a Ruby Reef Rally bath at 5ml per Gallon for 90 minute, and afterwards move them to a new 10G tank with proper biological filtration, there is currently no medication in the tank.
After moving them to the tank I've observed that there is no longer sings of Brook but there is red sours on one of them that looks like Uronema to me, but since the fish was most probably subject to very high ammonia I wanted to asked the experts what should be my next steps.
According to the guides I've read, the next course of action needs to be Metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days but since we get the unexpected sours now I think I'll need to take care of this first.

Video in next comment!
The clowns are freaked out because this is the first time I turned the lights on, they didn't see the aquarium till this moment.
Both of them eat.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is the other clown that still in the LFS, the clowns that I took showed similar symptoms:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not HQ but pretty good quality on 480p:

@Jay Hemdal - would love to get your opinion!

I don’t see any signs of Uronema. I’ve seen these sores on the heads of clownfish before, I presume they are inflammation from some stress - could be ammonia or could be bacterial. I did notice some covert aggression from the one clown on the other - they may not be compatible long term.
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay!
What do you think should be my next action? should I dose Metronidazole every 48 hours / copper / both?
Also, do you think the fish in the other video ( from the LFS) are showing sings of Brook?
I agree about the aggression thing, if it will continue that way I will get a divider for the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say what the other clown has - I see that a lot in LFS clowns: rapid breathing, clamped fins and acting kind of mopey.
Metronidazole is often suggested, but it really doesn’t have a good record for effectiveness. Personally, I’d go with copper and hold the ruby reef dip in reserve as an option.
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pictures

IMG_2618.jpg IMG_2623.jpg IMG_2627.jpg
Can it be from aggression from the other guy?
I noticed the other guy had some flukes on his eye so I FW dip all of the fish, the flukes seems to be gone now.

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jay Hemdal , it looks like it’s spreads to one eye.. what should I do?

Attachments

• 6FD2B54C-600F-4FE8-B0B0-7A4FB109B397.jpeg
    6FD2B54C-600F-4FE8-B0B0-7A4FB109B397.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 06766CE7-76BB-4410-9E6C-D121CE425148.jpeg
    06766CE7-76BB-4410-9E6C-D121CE425148.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jay Hemdal , it looks like it’s spreads to one eye.. what should I do?
Is it isolated from the other clown now? This looks more like a secondary bacterial infection from some trauma.
Jay

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still together but no aggression observed.
I’ve dosed melafix, is it ok?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still together but no aggression observed.
I’ve dosed melafix, is it ok?
I’m not a fan of melafix, it is a herbal tonic, not a true antibiotic.
Clownfish are sly, the aggression won’t happen all the time, and when you are watching them, they are watching you! I saw some covert aggression in the first video. What about dosing with a true antibiotic?
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back