Need help identifying if a fish is actually sick

arcticbread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm definitely new to having a saltwater aquarium. My dad has had them for years and has been helping me, but isn't sure what is wrong with my fish. I attached some pictures of the fish itself too. It'll sit in front of my powerhead for a few minutes and will swim for a little bit, and has been itching against the rocks. I'm not totally sure what I should be looking for with what this fish could potentially have.I'd prefer to not put medicine in the tank, but pls help. I'm rlly not sure what to do

Jessica Rose

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.45.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.45.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.45.41 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.45.54 AM.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i do see some spots,lets get some expert help here, #reefsquad

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bicolor angel. A difficult fish in captivity and susceptible to velvet and fungus. This appears to be Lymphocystis which is a somewhat common infectious virus hosted by saltwater fish and causes cells to enlarge many times their normal size. It is usually found in the fish skin and fins. After residing on its host for 4 weeks or more, the Lymphocystis cells rupture or fall off the host, spreading the infected cells in the water. The cells then either sink to the bottom of the tank and lie dormant or reattach to another host via a break in the skin or fins, or in the gills.
Good diet and water quality is the key to fixing this issue.
Anytime a fish hangs in front of a powerhead, its an indicator of something irritating the fish( parasite, virus or velvet) which the current provides temporary relief

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll sit in front of my powerhead for a few minutes and will swim for a little bit, and has been itching against the rocks.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.45.54 AM.png

Swimming in front of the powerhead is a unique symptom of velvet which I can see the dusting of on the purple part of the body in this photo.

But agree with @vetteguy53081 that there is lympho present.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a couple of times with bicolor angels, and never got them to eat. How long have you had it? Does it eat?

I, too, am fearing velvet. Velvet would need copper treatment in a hospital tank, unfortunately.

OP
OP
arcticbread

arcticbread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a couple of times with bicolor angels, and never got them to eat. How long have you had it? Does it eat?

I, too, am fearing velvet. Velvet would need copper treatment in a hospital tank, unfortunately.
I've only had the fish for about two weeks, I've fed them a few times and he has eaten a little bit

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

As mentioned, they are carribean fish and very easy to catch why they show up and do not do well in captivity. Eating is the biggest challenge followed by skin reaction. I sold these at my former pet store and quickly found out to stop ordering them. I did get them to eat LIVE foods only

OP
OP
arcticbread

arcticbread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, they are carribean fish and very easy to catch why they show up and do not do well in captivity. Eating is the biggest challenge followed by skin reaction. I sold these at my former pet store and quickly found out to stop ordering them. I did get them to eat LIVE foods only
I actually feed the rest of my fish frozen mysis shrimp and he was eating it too. i also put in those sheets of algae and he was picking at it a little bit. i feel that i haven’t had the fish long enough to judge whether he’s not eating because he’s sick or because of the stress of being moved from the store to my tank

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing obvious lympho in those pix. If I'm missing something, maybe someone can point out exactly where?

I am seeing fairly subtle small scattered dots, particularly on the flanks. I personally would be concerned about crypto/ich or early velvet. If I was willing to wait and see whether the fish gets worse or improves, I might do that. If I wasn't willing to wait, I'd put it in a qt with chelated copper after an acriflavine and/or freshwater dip.

If it's eating, it might well be worth waiting. Very hard to say. Difficult to get these fish eating, and if you put it in a hospital tank, it'll probably stop.

I haven't tried to keep one of these since the late 80s. I really wanted to keep one then, because I was at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, whose colors are of course - maize and blue! Don't recall having a lot of luck with them though. Haven't seen them in stores at all since I got back into the hobby. Sometimes see them online. Difficult fish.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted to keep one then, because I was at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, whose colors are of course - maize and blue!

This is the exact reason I would never keep this fish in my aquarium! lol

But as for the disease...as mentioned, I would be very concerned with velvet by the symptoms and appearance of some of those pics.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact reason I would never keep this fish in my aquarium! lol

Oh how I hate
Ohio State!

;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back