Need Help Identifying neon orange/red

CGrins

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

My boyfriend and I are new to this saltwater fish tank thing. We’ve only had it for about a month now and we love it. We started off small, 10gal and although we just begun it’s already so beautiful and we love it.

This neon orange/red thing came on a piece of liverock we purchased and has grown so much! It was the size of a dime. I can’t seem to figure out what it is... can anyone else help me?
05E43843-EF92-4E38-A49D-93F7527BD5DB.jpeg

Earn WWC Rewards Points

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea sorry if you dont get anyone responding in a few more hours I’d reccomend using the reefsquad hashtag they can seemingly help with anything

OP
C

CGrins

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like rose bubble tip anemone.
Hello, thank you so much for reaching out. I don’t think it’s a rose bubble tip but the photo I took isn’t very clear so it makes it harder to identity by my picture I uploaded. I do appreciate your help! I didn’t know what a rose bubble tip was before you mentioned it lol thanks again!!

https://www.omegasea.net/

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I highly doubt this is a rbta as they are usually several hundred dollars and getting one as a hitchhiker would be a once in a blue moon thing. The closest thing I’ve seen to it is a bubble coral

OP
C

CGrins

View Badges
Reaction score
F9A6C3BD-D6EC-40AC-93DB-AC816068B787.jpeg

Here is another photo. It does not have long appendages.. it’s more brain like. The base is very small.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
C

CGrins

View Badges
Reaction score
I said 10gal and it’s 32 gal tank. I don’t know how to edit my post & I don’t know why 10gal was on my mind

OP
C

CGrins

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s a MacroAlgae Maybe nemastoma sp. it’s a season algae
You’re right!! At first I was looking at different species of it then came across one that looks just like the one in my photo. Found out a lot of people wanted to buy a frag of it but I understand why.

It’s so cool and I am so happy to know what it is! I am going to try and find out the name of this particular species.

Thank you so much!

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd guess you'll get a number of offers to sell or trade for frags of it. But I'm still skeptical that the ID is correct.

Whatever it is, it's very cool looking. I snorkel a lot in the Florida Keys and I've never seen anything quite like it.

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 61-70

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • 71-80

Votes: 43 21.4%
  • 81-90

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • 90+

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • I'll reef until I die

Votes: 98 48.8%