Need help IDing internal parasite/fungal infection in a small Ocellaris

mosj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10g, about 6 months old. 2 Ocellaris (this one being a young male), BTA, a few softies and a small cleanup crew (peppermint, couple of hermits, turbos, ceriths). Amonia and nitrites @ 0, ~20% water change every 2 weeks. It's my first reef tank.

A few days ago I noticed that this black ocellaris had a small rip in his anal fin. Didn't think much of it, thought had just been chased by the larger female. 3 days later and here we are. There's something coming out of him, not sure if it's just poo or some sort of internal parasite (kinda looks like freshwater camallanus worms), but it also looks like whatever it is triggered some sort of fungal infection. It's behaving normally so far, and so is the other ocellaris.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
IMG_20220710_124823.jpg
IMG_20220710_124832.jpg
IMG_20220710_124840.jpg
IMG_20220710_124842.jpg

IMG_20220709_151908_1.jpg
IMG_20220710_124817.jpg

Also, after taking the pictures and zooming in I realized that it looks like he has white spots over his scales, but that's just dust/air bubbles that stuck to the acrylic container I put him it to take the pictures. In person he looks mostly healthy if you ignore the anal fin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is 10g, about 6 months old. 2 Ocellaris (this one being a young male), BTA, a few softies and a small cleanup crew (peppermint, couple of hermits, turbos, ceriths). Amonia and nitrites @ 0, ~20% water change every 2 weeks. It's my first reef tank.

A few days ago I noticed that this black ocellaris had a small rip in his anal fin. Didn't think much of it, thought had just been chased by the larger female. 3 days later and here we are. There's something coming out of him, not sure if it's just poo or some sort of internal parasite (kinda looks like freshwater camallanus worms), but it also looks like whatever it is triggered some sort of fungal infection. It's behaving normally so far, and so is the other ocellaris.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
IMG_20220710_124823.jpg
IMG_20220710_124832.jpg
IMG_20220710_124840.jpg
IMG_20220710_124842.jpg

IMG_20220709_151908_1.jpg
IMG_20220710_124817.jpg

Also, after taking the pictures and zooming in I realized that it looks like he has white spots over his scales, but that's just dust/air bubbles that stuck to the acrylic container I put him it to take the pictures. In person he looks mostly healthy if you ignore the anal fin.
Wow. this is bad and unfortunate. Looks like the work of monogenetic trematodes or even nematodes that may have stemmed from Rectal prolapse and developed into a bacterial infection causing skin to rot away.
I can assume fish does not eat ?
If eating, treatment in quarantine will be seachem Neoplex and Metroplex added to foods. There is a low chance of recovery But Not impossible. Prazi Pro will address the worm issue.

OP
OP
mosj

mosj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. this is bad and unfortunate. Looks like the work of monogenetic trematodes or even nematodes that may have stemmed from Rectal prolapse and developed into a bacterial infection causing skin to rot away.
I can assume fish does not eat ?
If eating, treatment in quarantine will be seachem Neoplex and Metroplex added to foods. There is a low chance of recovery But Not impossible. Prazi Pro will address the worm issue.

Unfortunately, I live in Brazil and I couldn't find Neoplex, Metroplex or Prazi Pro for sale, not even online. I'll see if I can find alternatives in Brazilian forums.

Yesterday I noticed that the fish seems interested in the food, but will not actually swallow, it seems.

Should I be worried about the other ocellaris?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I live in Brazil and I couldn't find Neoplex, Metroplex or Prazi Pro for sale, not even online. I'll see if I can find alternatives in Brazilian forums.

Yesterday I noticed that the fish seems interested in the food, but will not actually swallow, it seems.

Should I be worried about the other ocellaris?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've seen a rare fungal infection that looks like this, but it could also be bacterial. The trouble is, there seems to be tissue loss at the anal opening, which means the fish's intestines are damaged/missing. There isn't any way that can regrow.

I don't think that it is going to be highly contagious though.....

Jay

OP
OP
mosj

mosj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've seen a rare fungal infection that looks like this, but it could also be bacterial. The trouble is, there seems to be tissue loss at the anal opening, which means the fish's intestines are damaged/missing. There isn't any way that can regrow.

I don't think that it is going to be highly contagious though.....

Jay
I understand that the infection isn't necessarily contagious, but what about the possible internal parasite? Should I treat the other fish just in case?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the infection isn't necessarily contagious, but what about the possible internal parasite? Should I treat the other fish just in case?

I don't see any compelling reason to do so, nor a specific disease to go after, so I would say just watch the other fish closely.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back