Need help kole tang

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys / #reefsquad

Within the 30 minutes my kole tangs lips have swollen and looks like he can't close his mouth . There is a white color to the lips . The only difference today from any other day was I put in a cap full of purple up in the 120.
Any ideas .

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo

Will try to up load video

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible he tried to bite a coral that stings or even a bristle worm. You can dose Epsom salt in your display to help with the swelling.

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better photo .

I dont Really have corals . He is aggressive to some of the others maybe one fought back ?

Just normal Epsom salt from cvs / Walgreens ?

IMG_0819.JPG

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a rock rock anemone do this sting ? As that is a fairly new addition ?

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the Kole Tang got into a fight with the rabbit fish and touched the dorsal fins?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, or the bristleworm deal. @ngoodermuth Can you remember where humble posted that picture of a kole tang with the white stuff in his mouth? I cant' remember where or what that was, but this looks similar.

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it would of been the rabbit fish . If anything a yellow tang and him duke it out tail to tail all the time . The kole is kind of the meanie of the tank . Chasing a blenny , The rabbit stays away from everyone .
Only recent changes were that cap ful of purple up and
A rock anemone.
Would the bristle worm be visible ?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, or the bristleworm deal. @ngoodermuth Can you remember where humble posted that picture of a kole tang with the white stuff in his mouth? I cant' remember where or what that was, but this looks similar.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of it was the kole with HLLE? I'm not sure where that thread is though :/

The mimic tang I lost had a very swollen mouth towards the end. It was part of whatever bacterial infection he was fighting on his gill.

OP, Is the tang breathing heavily?

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and it looks like the "whiteness" and the " swolleness" is down a fair bit .and he is now back to eating
How strange

IMG_0824.JPG

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and it looks like the "whiteness" and the " swolleness" is down a fair bit .and he is now back to eating
How strange

IMG_0824.JPG

That's good news, I would just roll with it. His natural immunity probably kicked in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the same one I'm thinking of it was the kole with HLLE? I'm not sure where that thread is though :/

No, I dont think so, but he's posted that picture in several threads so I could be wrong.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How strange

IMG_0824.JPG

Good news! I'm still standing by the bristleworm deal

OP
OP
J

Justmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned if it is bristle worm , eventually will I see it in the tank ? Not sure how it would of got in there .

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may or may not see them, but they're in most tanks. They'll hitch in on liverock, coral frags - anything, really. Bristle worms are great little scavengers, and get into places most of our CUC can't reach, but they've got little hairs along their sides that are like old-school fiberglass insulation.

~Bruce

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back