Need help! -- Maroon Clownfish fry dying at day 35 plus

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the reasons not to feed bbs. I feed Maroons rotifers to around day 16-18, start feeding TDO around day 10-12, and add a seasoned air driven sponge filter around day 10-12. I do NOT use bbs for raising clownfish.
They main only eat bbs, it's harder than i thought to wean them onto the next food source!

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time this happenend was at 1.40am I just witness one of my clownfish babies die. It was acting normal swimming at the bottom eating newly hatched bbs and then all a suddenly it started freaking out and shooting around the bottom of the tank and then died. This happen in about 10 seconds. What could of caused this? Did it choke? Or was it stung by a Medusa?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeding them both the same food. newly hatched baby brine shrimps with rotifer feed and selcon. But the the tank where they are dying has less water and must have water quality issues?
AH! I've had an epiphany here - you said you are supplementing newly hatched BBS. Did you know that BBS does not feed for the first 18 to 24 hours post-hatch? You need to feed up older brine. Newly hatched won't work.

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I feed newly hatched brine shrimp i.e. less than 12 hours
and also feed after 12hr the brine shrimp with rotifer feed and selcon and only feed the these up to 24 hours after that I throw away the brineshrimp. My understanding is that the brine shrimp can eat after 12 hours and after 24hrs they are too big for the clownfish babies which are 48 days old now. Am i doing it right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

I feed newly hatched brine shrimp i.e. less than 12 hours
and also feed after 12hr the brine shrimp with rotifer feed and selcon and only feed the these up to 24 hours after that I throw away the brineshrimp. My understanding is that the brine shrimp can eat after 12 hours and after 24hrs they are too big for the clownfish babies which are 48 days old now. Am i doing it right?
I was always taught bbs won’t feed until the 4th instar, 18 to 24 hours post hatch, maybe that’s wrong?
Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still dying in the tanks lost over the last 3 days another 8. Still cant understand it? The other one is the parent tank are fine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still dying in the tanks lost over the last 3 days another 8. Still cant understand it? The other one is the parent tank
The losses are in the higher density tank, right? No ripped fins n the dead ones, right? I can’t remember, did you look at any dead ones under a
microscope?
Jay

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a tank that is 18L but is filled to about 15L
I guess you just have to look at all of the differences between the two tanks - water quality, food density (I was thinking possible fighting, but that doesn't seem to be it).

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to transfer them all to the parent tank in the breeder box as the baby tank has something wrong but i cannot pin point it maybe a vibro bacteria

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to transfer them all to the parent tank in the breeder box as the baby tank has something wrong but i cannot pin point it maybe a vibro bacteria
It could be bacterial - Vibrio and Aeromonas are genus found in all aquariums, and under certain conditions, with certain fish, they can become primary bacterial diseases, but they are more often secondary to some injury.

Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move most into the small glass breeder and feed them A1, B1, then some brineshrimp. After feeding them brine shrimp, 4 of the babies died not sure why. The big one when in a frenzy and shot around in the tank and died.

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May of choked on the flakes or brineshrimp? May got a brinesrimp egg shell in the throat?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May of choked on the flakes or brineshrimp? May got a brinesrimp egg shell in the throat?
Yes, I’ve seen that happen, we began decapsulation for all our bbs. As I mentioned though, more commonly we would see fry burst their bellies from overeating.
Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could be right i am trying to find depasulated bbs eggs but they are mostly for feeding not hatching

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could be right i am trying to find depasulated bbs eggs but they are mostly for feeding not hatching
We decap our own, but it is complicated - and you need sodium hydroxide. How about trying multiple separations? Use light/siphoning two or three times in order to get cleaner separation? You’ll waste some brine, but fewer shells.
Jay

OP
OP
M

michaelc888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have transfered all the babies to the parent tank breeder unit but lost 4 in transfer today and 8 died in the old baby tank. I had a few thoughts why they may of died in there. I notice that the black card that i used to wrap the tank with had gotten bent and soaked in salt water since i added more air this happened since the tank has malfuntion with the original air stone. it possible that chemicals from the soaked black card paper has been leaching into the tank.

This may of been poisoning them? Also they may of choked on egg shells or a combination of both. Either way I had to risk transfer them all the parent tank as a practiality.

On my guess there maybe around 45 left in there.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have transfered all the babies to the parent tank breeder unit but lost 4 in transfer today and 8 died in the old baby tank. I had a few thoughts why they may of died in there. I notice that the black card that i used to wrap the tank with had gotten bent and soaked in salt water since i added more air this happened since the tank has malfuntion with the original air stone. it possible that chemicals from the soaked black card paper has been leaching into the tank.

This may of been poisoning them? Also they may of choked on egg shells or a combination of both. Either way I had to risk transfer them all the parent tank as a practiality.

On my guess there maybe around 45 left in there.
Well, hopefully things settle down. My first batch of clowns was 3 (grin). 50 was a good batch for me, towards the end I might get 100 from a large hatch…
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back