OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The salt mixed amazingly well and a crystal clear I’ve never seen before. The only thing that was off was the alkalinity. Tested using both a Hanna checker and Salifert I got 9.5 and 9.3 respectively. Two Little Fishies said the salt should be 8dKH. Mg was 1320ppm and Ca was 450ppm. It actually worked out fine since my tank has been about 9dKH lately but I’m curious why/how the Alk was so high versus stated parameters.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The salt mixed amazingly well and a crystal clear I’ve never seen before. The only thing that was off was the alkalinity. Tested using both a Hanna checker and Salifert I got 9.5 and 9.3 respectively. Two Little Fishies said the salt should be 8dKH. Mg was 1320ppm and Ca was 450ppm. It actually worked out fine since my tank has been about 9dKH lately but I’m curious why/how the Alk was so high versus stated parameters.
How long after mixing did you run the tests?

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change. Every single pouch in this box so far mixes up differently. This batch mixed up at 1.026 with alkalinity at 11.5. I used it and my tank seems happy but I’m speechless. Little concerned about quality control, not going to lie.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always possible to get a badly mixed batch I guess? I hardly ever check but it’s been pretty spot on the times I have tested it, to the point where I just stopped testing it.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always possible to get a badly mixed batch I guess? I hardly ever check but it’s been pretty spot on the times I have tested it, to the point where I just stopped testing it.

More like 9.8. First test was 11.5 and the rest were 9.8. Still higher than I want but things are good. I’m sticking with it. I’m having Hanna alkalinity reagent issue so it could be that too. I’ll take the higher than normal Alk in exchange for the ease of mixing.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you there man, the dumping of the pre-measured pouch into 4.5 gallons of water is soooo nice. I’d pretty much put up with whatever the parameters are just for that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back