Need help new aquarium Dorso drain

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys need help

just got water in my new 100 gallon mode aquarium with sump.... It has a dorso drain with gate valve and emergency drain... I am running g a dc return pump and trying to figure out how to get a consistent water level in the tank.... basically I am having to adjust the gate valve on the drain to keep the water level from raining and or falling if I don’t have it just rough then it will keep rising or falling.... when I turn the pump off for feed mode the water drains into the sump then everything seems to change. Am I missing something or is their a trick I’m missing

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am not familiar with you tank. It does not sound like a durso set up, but a herbie set up. Scan thru this article which will help set up a herbie overflow

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With herbie style plumbing as you describe (valve on main drain) you should turn off circulator pumps, leave return pump on. Otherwise the main line needs to purge itself of air to run quietly and efficiently again. Depending on the waters path (plumbing) it can take some time and/or playing with the valve.

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Herbie. Never seen a Durso running an emergency drain. But, if a Durso sounds like it is siphoning. Drill out the hole in the cap and install a 3/8 murlock valve. Adjust the air intake to break the siphon and have a steady flow.
20201115_115244.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m just having trouble getting the water level to stay.... it has a main drain with a dorso style cap with a hole in it and also an emergency drain... i know its a weird setup

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m just having trouble getting the water level to stay.... it has a main drain with a dorso style cap with a hole in it and also an emergency drain... i know its a weird setup
Not so weird and way quieter than durso

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t put return pump in feed mode.
Watch a vid on how to adjust herbie plumbing.
From where I sit my first guess is your main drain is having trouble purging air. 2nd guess your overflow weir is having trouble keeping up with flow,
How much water is going down secondary/emergency drain?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t put return pump in feed mode.
Watch a vid on how to adjust herbie plumbing.
From where I sit my first guess is your main drain is having trouble purging air. 2nd guess your overflow weir is having trouble keeping up with flow,
How much water is going down secondary/emergency drain?
So the the Herbie style drain they have is kinda weird in that the main drain comes up in the weir and about 3" below the water their is a T, then it extends up to the top with a cap and a small hole. Its like it is a cross between a herbi and dorso.

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the the Herbie style drain they have is kinda weird in that the main drain comes up in the weir and about 3" below the water their is a T, then it extends up to the top with a cap and a small hole. Its like it is a cross between a herbi and dorso.
how many drain pipes go down to sump?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah
The tee on the main drain with a pipe that rises for air intake defeats the purpose. Main drain is supposed to be fully submerged (no air) to make it run silent and consistent. The secondary (or emergency) takes none or maybe a bit to allow that to run quiet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shrive81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this is the design from the manufacturer but seems like it doesn’t work very well as I can’t seem to get it to get the water level stabilized.... but it is dead silent hahaha

Upvote 0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole on top of the main drain is helpful to purge air from line but it needs to be submerged. Once you do that and let it run a few minutes to fully purge all air, you will see it exiting into sump. Then it will stabilize in overflow box and you’re good to go. It may take a few minutes, and you may have to open/close the valve to help it along. Then use valve to keep water level in box above any air intake on main drain, but slightly below emergency

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back