Need help on Rockscape: does it look good? :(

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mixing these Pukani and Coral base rock. Setup: 75gal FOWLR. Total rock weight: 100lb.

Honestly I don't like breaking the rock and glue them. I'm just gonna stack them up but not sure if these designs look good. They don't look that much different haha, but I wanna keep the 2 big rock in the center and just change the ones on the sides.

Style 1
20190821_173245.jpg

Style 2
20190821_185846.jpg

Style 3
20190821_191630.jpg

Style 4
20190821_192638.jpg

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all a matter of personal taste really Steven
I like 3 and 4 the most of the 4 options shown above

if you're happy with the scape that's the most important thing really

Thank you. Yeah it's all about personal opinion...

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 picture looks good to me. If you’re like me, once you add the sand & other items you might add, you’ll probably move them around again. Kinda like moving in a new place or buying a new couch, you rearrange the furniture until it feels right to you. I also didn’t glue or secure my rocks together & have moved some of them several times.
Enjoy your build.

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 picture looks good to me. If you’re like me, once you add the sand & other items you might add, you’ll probably move them around again. Kinda like moving in a new place or buying a new couch, you rearrange the furniture until it feels right to you. I also didn’t glue or secure my rocks together & have moved some of them several times.
Enjoy your build.

Yeah I owned a FW planted tank and I moved stuff around often too, I guess all of us do that. :)

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lolol I guessed you were in Phoenix just from the wall in your backyard! So funny you actually are! Lolol.
2,3,4 are all sweet options. 1 would be cool for a big cube tank.

Thank you and yes you're right! I didn't know we have such unique wall for the backyard lol

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and yes you're right! I didn't know we have such unique wall for the backyard lol
Lol it was the strangest thing! I don’t know how I knew! Lol. What part of Phoenix are you in? It looks very similar to my cousins backyard near Anthem(north phx). I was born and raised in Tempe.

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it was the strangest thing! I don’t know how I knew! Lol. What part of Phoenix are you in? It looks very similar to my cousins backyard near Anthem(north phx). I was born and raised in Tempe.

I'm in South Phoenix. But as far as I know every backyard here (and other surrounding areas) has the same kind of wall. I'm not sure about Tempe though. Is it like this too?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in South Phoenix. But as far as I know every backyard here (and other surrounding areas) has the same kind of wall. I'm not sure about Tempe though. Is it like this too?
Yup, except in Tempe they are full of scorpions lol.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo sir, I would take a hammer to that rock and make smaller chunks out of it. That will give you more ability to create a less of a pile of rock look and a more unique look. Buy some glue or cement and go to town on combining rock! Helps make a world of a difference since you will be looking at this rock for the majority of the tanks life, until you upgrade or coral over grows the rock :)

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like three the best, but I’d tweak it a little. The rock i circled in red looks unnatural. I’d flip it and or fill in that cave. To give it better depth, I’d move all of the rocks on the right forward a bit so they don’t line up exactly with the rocks on the left. I wouldn’t worry about creating and actual swim-through cave, but use the space between the two structures as the swim through.

D29B6A50-A1A7-4808-9C8B-A71AA0BF9698.jpeg
Last, once you get the general structure, epoxy/super glue it in place and then glue small rocks into the cracks between the big rocks. This will make it look like a cohesive structure rather than a pile of rocks.

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo sir, I would take a hammer to that rock and make smaller chunks out of it. That will give you more ability to create a less of a pile of rock look and a more unique look. Buy some glue or cement and go to town on combining rock! Helps make a world of a difference since you will be looking at this rock for the majority of the tanks life, until you upgrade or coral over grows the rock :)

Thank you I'll consider that! :)

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like three the best, but I’d tweak it a little. The rock i circled in red looks unnatural. I’d flip it and or fill in that cave. To give it better depth, I’d move all of the rocks on the right forward a bit so they don’t line up exactly with the rocks on the left. I wouldn’t worry about creating and actual swim-through cave, but use the space between the two structures as the swim through.

D29B6A50-A1A7-4808-9C8B-A71AA0BF9698.jpeg
Last, once you get the general structure, epoxy/super glue it in place and then glue small rocks into the cracks between the big rocks. This will make it look like a cohesive structure rather than a pile of rocks.

Sounds like a great idea! Thank you for taking the time to point it out for me. I do think the top rock looks a bit unnatural too.

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog Look at what I have guys!!! Today I just put the big rock into the tank and surprise! A huge scorpion came out of the rock. That freaked me out!! He was staying in the rock over night. At first I thought I had some shrimp lol. So creepy!

20190822_183035.jpg

20190822_183140.jpg

Back