Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I'm very excited to be joining you all in this hobby for the first time ever. A few months ago, I decided on switching from freshwater to saltwater so I thought I would start small and buy a small AIO unit for my desk. Initially, I wanted to buy the NUVO Fusion 10 or 20 gal but quickly realized that it's better to start off with a bit of a bigger tank in order to have an easier time with water parameters and bioload. I did some more research and I was really interested in the Red Sea Max E-series 170 because it had pretty much everything except for a heater and a wavemaker. I went down to my LFS thinking I could place an order for it, only for them to badmouth the brand and tell me I'm better off with a Waterbox, Innovative Marine, or a DIY method.

Despite the E-170 being expensive, the whole "plug-and-play" system was intriguing and I'd only have to add a few more hundred dollars for salt, rock, and other smaller tools. I had the idea that a DIY system could net you a bigger tank size with similar prices as AIO, yet every time I get a quote from my LFS, the prices are nearly doubled for both the AIOs and Max-E systems despite specifically mentioning I don't want the highest branded items right off the bat.

For stocking, I will start off very slow by adding a pair of Ocellaris clowns after the tank is done cycling. After a month or so, I'll add some soft corals. I won't be adding any difficult corals in my first year as I'll be spending that time doing more research and I'm sure I'll be busy tinkering with my setup.

STOCKING WISH LIST:

- 2 x Ocellaris Clowns
- 1 x Watchman Goby + Tiger Shrimp
- 1 x Royal Gramma
- 1 x Firefish
- 1 x Mandarin Dragonet
- 1 x Spotted Jawfish
1 x Tailspot Blenny
- 1 x Clown Goby (is this risky with the Watchman Goby?)
- Corals will only be soft in the beginning, still deciding on those.

TANK SPECS:

Capture.PNG

WB 50.3: I'm worried if I'll struggle with this because I've always heard you want a SUMP/skimmer for tanks bigger than 20/30 gals and these have very few reviews online. Though all their reviews are good no one talks about whether maintenance is "easy" or not.

WB 60.2: I like how it has a lot of water volume but I'm just concerned about the size and if it would significantly reduce my stocking wish list. Adding an AI prime, skimmer, wave maker, and heater brings this tank closer to +$3,000. Realistically, can I bring this closer to the E-170 price?

E-170: Only concern is size and my LFS saying they're not good with little explanation. I'm fine with the knowledge that you can't upgrade the equipment besides buying its own smaller-sized ones.

Finally, I will be buying a RODI unit but I was hoping I could buy a few gallons for the first few months only. Again, my LFS only recommends the highest level RODI units. Surely I can get away with something around the $150-200 mark in my first year? Apologies for the wall of text! I'm also open to other tank/set up recommendations roughly around my budget for equipment + tank (~$2,800 CAD or $2,100 USD).

Last edited:

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot to process here. I've owned one Red Sea tank ages ago, so things may have changed. They are pretty good tanks IMO.

There are a lot of pros and cons with any system you pick, but if you have the money, the Red Sea system is going to be the easiest and most plug and play choice. I use their LED and dosing pumps and have had zero mechanical issues. Both were a little hard to set up on the WiFi, but after that I never had to deal with them. The down side is they are probably 20% more expensive than any DIY system you'll put together yourself. Plug and play systems are not cheap.

Personally, if you're going to want something that is extra easy, won't break the bank, and doesn't take up a lot of space, an AIO is a good option. The money saved can go toward lights and a pump.

If you're set on a sump any of the top brands are going to be expensive. I like Nuvo, Waterbox, CADE, and AquaForest. Every one of them is over priced IMO. Personally, I would look at credit card offers to maximize your points and defer interest for a year to soften the blow. My local reef shop usually will kick in some rock, saltwater and live sand if I have them deliver it (around $75 an hour). I had my 45G JBJ AIO & stand drop shipped for a total of $800 when it went on sale. I think Bulkreefsupply has them for $1250 right now. A little on the expensive side IMO.

You shouldn't rush. Wait and watch for sales. They happen all the time. Fish wise, that seems like a lot for 50G or less.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in your wish list is questionable except the Mandarin. I vote WB 60.2. Heater, skimmer, and powerhead(wave maker) are not going to be as expensive as you think. And, for me having a sump large enough to house a decent skimmer is important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't rush. Wait and watch for sales. They happen all the time. Fish wise, that seems like a lot for 50G or less.

Thanks for the reply! Honestly the E-170 is is the best one for my budget currently because I'd had to dish out way more equipment for the other ones which would bring mer closer to $3K.

Heater, skimmer, and powerhead(wave maker) are not going to be as expensive as you think.

Hmm, I don't know if our prices are just crazy. Could you recommend some decent equipments for the 60.2 that won't break the bank?

I guess the alternative is to buy really good equipments and settle for a smaller tank + stand for now until I can upgrade. That way I just need to change tanks and stand in the future, and maybe add a few more power heads..

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SC Aquariums SCA-301 for skimmer ($110 USD on Amazon), Jebao SLW-30(x2) for power heads($180 USD for both on Amazon), Eheim Jager 150W heaters(x2) w/ Inkbird ITC-306A wifi heater controllers(about $120 USD total on Amazon), Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Pump (951 GPH) for return pump($140 on Amazon).

The AI prime is a solid light choice.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Honestly the E-170 is is the best one for my budget currently because I'd had to dish out way more equipment for the other ones which would bring mer closer to $3K.

Hmm, I don't know if our prices are just crazy. Could you recommend some decent equipments for the 60.2 that won't break the bank?

I guess the alternative is to buy really good equipments and settle for a smaller tank + stand for now until I can upgrade. That way I just need to change tanks and stand in the future, and maybe add a few more power heads..
I can’t find any faults with that. A quality titanium heater w/ safety cutoff, Nero 3 wave maker (my personal preference) and the Red Sea 2-head dosing pump down the road are not unreasonable.

You should watch BRS recent videos on bioms to get off on the right foot.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok to me, might be a lil tight on the livestock but that’s a maybe…I have a 170 and like it… space is at a premium underneath so I’d get Red Seas slide out thingy for equipment…
I have. Nero 3, Red Sea skimmer, and ReefLED 50

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be watching this thread, lol. I currently have an Aquatop recife 24g aio. I like the tank, but it has it's cons. The tank has been set up 6 months (4 fish, snails, hermits, 3 small softie frags, small bt nem) and going great until 2 weeks ago when I had a bacterial bloom... slime everywhere. It's finally easing up, but I'm already upgrading to a Red Sea max E-170 hoping it's an easier option to maintain. I already have an AI prime 16HD reef light, and 2 jebao wave pumps to transfer over.

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be watching this thread, lol. I currently have an Aquatop recife 24g aio. I like the tank, but it has it's cons. The tank has been set up 6 months (4 fish, snails, hermits, 3 small softie frags, small bt nem) and going great until 2 weeks ago when I had a bacterial bloom... slime everywhere. It's finally easing up, but I'm already upgrading to a Red Sea max E-170 hoping it's an easier option to maintain. I already have an AI prime 16HD reef light, and 2 jebao wave pumps to transfer over.

Ah sorry to hear about the struggles with your 24 gal. The reef2reef community talked me out of the AIO for now lol. I'm going to the DIY route in drilling a 75-gal tank + building a stand + sump. All in all, the cost is around 30% cheaper than going to the Waterbox or the Red Sea route. I will say if this is successful, I'm gonna go with a red sea reefer tank upgrade in the future.

The Max E 170 still looks so dang good though. I might save up and have that as a tank in my room or something.

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sorry to hear about the struggles with your 24 gal. The reef2reef community talked me out of the AIO for now lol. I'm going to the DIY route in drilling a 75-gal tank + building a stand + sump. All in all, the cost is around 30% cheaper than going to the Waterbox or the Red Sea route. I will say if this is successful, I'm gonna go with a red sea reefer tank upgrade in the future.

The Max E 170 still looks so dang good though. I might save up and have that as a tank in my room or something.
ah, ok. I still want to go bigger myself, but I can wait. I had a 70 gal fish only saltwater tank over 20 yrs ago, but I wanted to try my hand with reefing. My bloom appears to be clearing up, but still a little cloudy. I'm just glad my paly, gsp, and zoa frags opened back up after 2 days of being closed.

Good luck on your bigger build!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back