Need Help please: Maintenance mode to operate 0-10V VarioS pumps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like the Maintenance mode-1 to slow the VarioS Return Pump and VarioS Skimmer pump to 30%. It is not working. This is what I have set up:

-S-Port/L-Port Breakout Box: All wiring is on the left side of the Breakout Box. Red wire from skimmer VarioS goes to #2 (0-10v); Red wire from return pump goes to # 5 (0-10v); Both black wires go to #3 (ground). (Question: Although irrelevant to this discussion, is it true that 2 more VarioS pumps could be wired on the right side?)
-
The "Breakout Box cable" goes from the socket on the left of the Breakout Box to the yellow 1/2 port on the Profilux 4.
-The "spliced" wires plug into the prospective VarioS Control boxes. IMPORTANT QUESTION: When the plugs are inserted into the sockets on the VarioS
Control Boxes the green lights that become illuminated flicker a weak green color. Should they be a solid, bright green color? If so, something is probably wrong here).

-EXTRAS < Maintenance/Power Cut-1
: Under 1-10v Interfaces, I checked the first two boxes (Interface 1; Interface 2).

-SYSTEM < 1-10v INTERFACE: L1-Stream Pump 1....Skimmer. L2-Stream Pump 2.....Return Pump.
Questions: Is this correct to name them "Stream pumps" from the drop-down box? And, if so, does the number of the Stream Pump coincide with the number of the L port?

Thank you for any help anyone can give me!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is using a VarioS pump with 0-10v, would you mind telling me if the green light on your VarioS Control module is a flickering, light green color or is it a bright solid green color?
Mine is flickering, light green, so I'm thinking that there is something wrong with my wiring to the Breakout Box (or maybe I used an improper type of wire?)

Here is a video of the flickering light. Notice the dark green color of the FS light on top, compared to the faint green 0-10 light (that appears a little bluish in the video but is actually light green).

Is this flickering normal or an indication that something is not right?

Thanks for helping!

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a photo showing how you have the wiring connected to the BO box?
To which port is this cable connected to on the BO box? How about on the P4 port?

A photo of your 1-10v interface settings will also help.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping, Vinny.

Here is the wiring:
L.M. Breakout box.jpg

The connection is on the left side.

On the P4, the plug goes into the first yellow socket (1,2)

Screenshot of 0-10v page: (Is it correct to use "Streampump 1" in the dropdown box?)
Screenshot (4).png

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed a few things and am still not able to get the VarioS pumps to work on 0-10v.
My most recent changes are below (in case this might give some insight to anyone who might be able to help me). Thank you!

***(I did submit a "ticket" to Coral Vue in hopes of learning if the light green, flickering, color on the VarioS Control Panel is normal or an indication of a problem)***

Here is my most recent wiring. Skimmer is on left and connected to yellow port 1/2; Main pump is on right and connected to yellow port 3/4. (I also tried attaching the red wire for the Main Pump, on the right, to 1-10v-2 and that didn't help.)
L.M. Breakout box-L and R.jpg

1-10v Interface:
Screenshot (5).png

Maintenance/Power Cut - 1:
Screenshot (6).png

EXTRAS < STREAM PUMP 2:
Screenshot (7).png

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carlos from CoralVue tech support got back to me to let me know that the flickering pale green light on the VarioS control boxes is NOT normal. (Both VarioS pumps and Control Boxes are brand new, so I doubt the problem is with them). So, I will have to wait for Vinny or someone to tell me if I wired the Breakout Box improperly. (Both of the configurations I showed in previous photos result in the same "flickering" of the green control box light.)

Also, I'm assuming that the cable I used is correct: IceCap module Y wire: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-module-cable-icecap.html

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dr. Jim - The Cable you have above is correct.

I need a few days, my local LFS has this pump, I ordered the cable, and will hook it up to my test P4 and do a complete configuration video like i have done for Kessil and for Tunze and post the results here. Hopefully helping others also in the future who may be doing this and does the light flicker :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dr. Jim - The Cable you have above is correct.

I need a few days, my local LFS has this pump, I ordered the cable, and will hook it up to my test P4 and do a complete a configuration video like i have done for Kessil and for Tunze and post the results here. Hopefully helping others also in the future who may be doing this.
Thanks Ditto..... Looking forward to your video!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very happy to say that I figured out the VarioS problem! (Everything but the skimmer delay).

I found that my problem was the cable(s) plugging into the VarioS controller(s). I had to push the plug(s) in VERY hard and twist them. Then the flickering light became solid and everything started working as it should! I’m a little concerned about how unusually hard I had to push them in. I'm concerned that they may loosen easily. We'll see. (It's amazing how this silly little thing threw me off for so many hours/days!!)

-Wiring: Red on #2 (0-10v); Black on #3 (Ground). (as shown on my second wiring diagram)
-Cable on left goes to P4 yellow socket "1/2" and becomes "L1"; Cable on right goes to P4 yellow socket ""3/4" and becomes "L3" (assuming you aren't using a splitter cable).

-System < -0-10v: Set Stream pump-1 for L-1; Set Stream Pump-2 for L-3

-Maintenance-1: Check Interface-1 and Interface-3 and set the percentage you want.

-Setting for socket on Power Bar: It seems like a lot of settings work, like Stream Pump-1or Filter2. I'm thinking that the 0-10v settings override whatever setting you put here. I need to figure out a Programmable Logic to plug in here that will delay the skimmer from coming on. (Will work on it later).

For now, both pumps reduce (to 30% in my case) as I want. (Just need to work on the skimmer delay for Maintenance-1 AND Feed Pause-2 combination).

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok equipment arrived :) will begin working on the video.
EC127FC3-92A4-430C-9468-E6F348BE4586.jpeg

1. Pump check
2. SPort LPort breakout box
3. 1-10 cable check

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back