Need help please

1sttymereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reef keeping, tank has been set up set up since Nov now. Can someone please tell me was the pink growing on my rock is?, possible cause for?, and is it good to have or not? Thank you for any advise

20190303_090547.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First allow me to say, 'Welcome to R2R!'

welcome 4.jpg

It's hard to say if that pink is the start of some coraline algae, a very good thing and most likely IMHO. Or it could be some cyano bacteria, a not so good thing but not a huge issue and far less likely.

If you would like to get a lot more replies to your post, we could move it to one of a couple other forums that get a lot more eyes than it does here. But if you are part of this group (Florida Reef Keepers) and want it to stay here, that's perfectly OK as well. I'm just offering so more people might give you more replies.

Good luck. I'll follow this thread to see what you would like to do.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Most likely coralline growing....which is good. Your tank will go through a lot of change in the coming months. Be patient. Don't worry that everything is bad or that you need to react right away. Young tanks like yours will go through "ugly" stages for a few months. It is all good. Just make sure that your parameters are stable and in good ranges. Sit back and watch the changes happen. Also, go slowly with adding livestock.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
1sttymereefer

1sttymereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First allow me to say, 'Welcome to R2R!'

welcome 4.jpg

It's hard to say if that pink is the start of some coraline algae, a very good thing and most likely IMHO. Or it could be some cyano bacteria, a not so good thing but not a huge issue and far less likely.

If you would like to get a lot more replies to your post, we could move it to one of a couple other forums that get a lot more eyes than it does here. But if you are part of this group (Florida Reef Keepers) and want it to stay here, that's perfectly OK as well. I'm just offering so more people might give you more replies.

Good luck. I'll follow this thread to see what you would like to do.
Thank you for replying, it's my first post and it had me choose a place to post, not really sure what I'm doing with this forum, how would I move it, I just picked a Florida one because that's where I live.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying, it's my first post and it had me choose a place to post, not really sure what I'm doing with this forum, how would I move it, I just picked a Florida one because that's where I live.

You joined the right forum our friend and welcome to R2R.

It does appear to be the good coralline to me as well.

If it does not blow off with a turkey baster or has to scrapped off that's a good sign. :)

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Definitely looks like coralline. That’s exactly what it looked like on my rock when it started[emoji4]

OP
OP
1sttymereefer

1sttymereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, it does not blow off, had to get a Turkey baster today before I could answer that, so what I'm taking from this is it should be good and I may not be doing anything wrong at this moment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back