Need help! Probable swim bladder disease

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little guidance please.
I received a new Swallow tail Angel from DD yesterday and went straight into a 10 gal QT with some DT bio media yesterday routine acclimation SQ/temp match. Housed with a tank mate of a starki also from DD. No hostility. Both angel and starki even ate some brine shrimp last night.
tank param all zero since brand new fresh mixed water. Ammonia checker normal, manual test normal. QT dosed with prime.

both fish look healthy, fat and pristine

So this morning I notice the Angel has mild tell tale swim bladder symptoms.
struggling to get to the bottom. But not distressed
I’ve done a 5min fresh water bath (aerated 30min and temp matched). She took it in stride, no visualized pests after, no major improvement after return to QT.

so the true question
What next (I have all to be able to start)
1. Start getting Copper power titration up (If I recall CP is safe if I previously dosed prime)
2. Antibiotics, separate or with Focus. I have GC, metro, Kanaflex
3. Prazipro
4. Both Copper power and Prazi.

not my video but identical behavior for reference

I have always used Humblefish’s guides for QT and plan to do the same here, it’s been over 2 years adding any fish so my memory is rusty.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These fish typically swim head down slightly and I am not seeing a bouyancy issue up front
Is it eating and breathing at a normal rate?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DBLA

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, thing have gone down fast, been watching all morning behavior worsened, breathing got rapid…getting stuck to the intake on filter now. For the first time since arrival I’m seeing a cluster of white spots above the left eye.
I’m guessing underlying infection, stressed by shipping

I’ve separated him into a back up 5gal QT but this is going down fast, started the 10gal he was in on copper power.

Attachments

• 16BED69E-1EE4-47B1-9B19-856095EC862C.jpeg
    16BED69E-1EE4-47B1-9B19-856095EC862C.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, thing have gone down fast, been watching all morning behavior worsened, breathing got rapid…getting stuck to the intake on filter now. For the first time since arrival I’m seeing a cluster of white spots above the left eye.
I’m guessing underlying infection, stressed by shipping

I’ve separated him into a back up 5gal QT but this is going down fast, started the 10gal he was in on copper power.
Genicanthus angels suffer from this quite often. They are sometimes needled to decompress them when collected. Infections can set in, and air shipments exacerbate the problem due to lower pressure during shipment.
That said, I can’t explain why this fish went downhill so quickly. The rapid breathing isn’t related to the swim bladder issue unless the infection has become systemic.

Jay

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back