Need help / questions on my new 55 Gallon Reef

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon. About 2 months ago I setup a new saltwater aquarium that I am planning on turning into a reef with live rock, inverts, fish and soft / lps corals. I just wanted to create a master thread that I could ask questions in rather than opening up 15 different threads.

Recently I have started developing coraline algae but I have been having an issue where some of it is bleaching and was hoping for help.

I am also starting to see green hair algae growing. I am hoping this is just due to excess phosphates and that running a skimmer will help.

Tank info
55 Gallon 4x 13 x 20
First filled 12-15-22 so nearly 2 months ago
Using 30-40 lbs of live rock I got from a friends established aquarium
Topfin Oolite Aragonite Sand
MarineLand Magnum Polishing INternal Canister Filter
Currant USA PRO IC Dual 48"
Morning Red 74 Green 9 Blue 76 white 0
Day Red 75 Green 29 Blue 100 White 20
Night Red 0 Green 0 Blue 10 White 0
On time 9:00AM
Off time 6:00 PM
Salinity 1.026
Temp 80.2 - Heated by ambiant air currently I have a heater in the tank but it is unplugged due to the aquarium temperature not changing. Temperature tested using digital thermometer, glass sticker, and using the build in temperate guage on the heater when I had it plugged in.

API Liquid tests because that I what I could afford so far.
High Range pH 8.4
Amonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
Phosphate 0.25 ppm
KH 161 ppm I believe that calculates to about 5.76 DKH
Calcium 460 ppm
Do not have a Magnesium test kit at this time

Current inhabitants are 2 clowns, 2 snails and whatever came along with the live rock.

No sump - No space for a sump.
No Refugeum - Considering a Aquamaxx HOB
No Protein Skimmer - Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 arriving tomorrow

Instant Ocean Salt
Home Made RODI water

I appreciate any advise that can be given.

55 reef 1.jpg 55 reef 2.jpg 55 reef 3.jpg 55 reef 4.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Series of 30% water changes twice a week to get nitrate below 20. Skimmer will also help

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alkalinity is also extremely low If accurate. Series of water changes over 2 weeks. Give another 2 weeks to note changes after. Manage parameters throughout

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I will get on the water changes and try and vacuum out some of the algae as well.

From what i've read online, the algae bloom is pretty typical as part of the new tank cycle and that I should start adding a CUC.

What CUC would be safe to keep with the following corals. Note, I do not have these corals yet.

Zoanthids, Hammer, Cristata, Favia, Ric Florida, Sympodium, candy cane.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a mix of Nassarius, Astraea and Margarita snails. I add a few hermit crabs but note they can go after your snails eventually if they get hungry. We have 2 turbo snails also which have been fine, and 2 Tiger Cowries that have been a little annoying to corals that I would probably not do again.

Do you have a good LFS (local fish store) or ordering online?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon tank (although it has a 30 gallon sump) but I ran it as an AIO before plumbing it to the basement sump. Ornamental macroalgae will help with nuisance algae. I incorporate it as part of the aquascape.
IMG_20230119_130325975.jpg
IMG_20230209_090654482.jpg

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow should I have in the tank? I recently added a Pulsing Zenia towards the bottom left of the tank but I noticed that the flow from my 1025 gph powerhead is causing it to blow around a lot. The powerhead is on the top left and pointing straight right so it is putting out so much flow that is is circulating back to the left. Right now I have it unplugged and i'm just using the flow from my Aquamaxx 1.5, Marineland Polishing Filter and a eflux 660 gph on the right.

I will eventually have the following coral frags.
Sympodium
Ric Florida
Favia
A Zoa colony
Cristata
Candy Cane
Hammer
Pulsing Zenia

Attachments

• Reef 1.jpg
    Reef 1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 18

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dead spots and no sand blowing around is the baseline. Using 2 pumps at lower speeds will help, instead of 1 at a higher flow.

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about that. I can't control flow rate with the 1025 either so I may grab another eflux 660 so I have more control as well. Thanks for the reply.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about that. I can't control flow rate with the 1025 either so I may grab another eflux 660 so I have more control as well. Thanks for the reply.
Check out jebao pumps on Amazon. Cheap, reliable, controllable

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, thank you.

Next question. The almighty, will these fish be OK with each other in this tank? And how many fish could I safely keep in a 55 gallon sumpless reef aquarium.

I've done a little online browsing and I am thinking about the following. And yes, I know some of these may outgrow my aquarium. I do have options to rehome them after few years.

Currently I have a male/female pair of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish. The female has been known to try and peck at me when I have my hand in the tank.

I also have the following inverts

5 Nassarius, 6 Blue Legged Hermit Crab, 5 Trochus, 1 Urchin.

Firefish Goby - Honestly i'm looking for sand sifting but not sure what breed to get.
Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
Yellowtail Damsilfish
Tail Spot Blenny
Bicolor Blenny
Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma Basslet

Peppermint Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

Last edited:

pweezy42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses can’t be with other wrasses and the same for blenny’s especially in that small of a system or even a larger system so makes sure you research that

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 We added a Starry Blenny in with our Lawnmower Blenny (55g) and they fought until one was removed, I would agree to be careful with mixing Blennys. Definitely research the wrasse combos as well.

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Diamond Goby a week ago. It has been doing great up until today. Today it is acting lethargic, not swimming around, not eating and breathing heavy. It dind't even swim away when I want to pick it up with a net. Any idea what may be wrong with it?

Attachments

• 329071269_6257086244356174_3684372636568613206_n.mp4
    2.9 MB

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Diamond Goby a week ago. It has been doing great up until today. Today it is acting lethargic, not swimming around, not eating and breathing heavy. It dind't even swim away when I want to pick it up with a net. Any idea what may be wrong with it?
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really in a bad way - it is really skinny and is breathing too fast. Has it been eating well?
The rapid breathing can be a whole slew of things: water quality issues, velvet or gill flukes are the most common.
Are there other fish in the tank? How do they look?
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish is skinny.
I assume this is a new tank?
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and how are you testing these levels?
Was fish this thin when you acquired it?

For starters, attach an airstone to pump for added oxygen.

OP
OP
T

Takashix2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef has been up for 3 months so, yes, it is still in it's 6 -12 months maturation period. Unfortunately I did not do the research that I should have and the goby did die. All the other fish in the are still doing OK, acting and eating well.

I will be doing a 10% water change every other day this week to help get my numbers back to where they should be.

Temperature 80 (Just due to ambient room temperatures)
High Range pH - 8.2
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Ammonia - 0.50 ppm
Nitrate - 40p ppm
Calcium - 400
kH - 145 ppm
Phosphate - 0.25 ppm
Salinity - 1.024

Aquamaxx 1.5 Protein Skimmer
Marineland Polishing Internal Cannister (Using activated carbon)
Currant USA PRO IC Dual 48"
2x eflux 660 - Pointed at each other on surge mode with alternating activations. 100% flow 10 second ramp time.

Current fish
2 black and white oscilarus clowns (2 months)
2 benggai cardinals (3 weeks)
1 skunk cleaner shrimp (3 weeks)
1 pincushion urchon (6 weeks) - May be rehomed to a more established tank. It's been eating algae + i've been supplementing with nori twice a week.
CUC - 7 Nassarius, 6 Blue Legged Hermit Crab, 5 Trochus.

I currently have a Pulsing Xenia that ive had for 3 weeks that is doing great. Will I be OK to start picking up additional soft / LPS corals or should I still hold off for a while?

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back