Need help removing the vertical beam in my stand.

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC4D0DB5-0365-46D8-8CA6-22CB7CABE5F5.jpeg

87204C65-27FC-4577-BD20-1AE4ABED0C17.jpeg

i’m replacing the old sump but the new one wont fit under the stand unless i drain my tank and move it away fromthe wall so I can have room to work with. Thats too labor intensive and im lazy as a pig :) Does anyone have any idea how to remove the verticle beam ( where my finger is pointing) ?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if that's structural support from picture, suspect it is. If so, drain as much as you can to reduce weight. Put in temporary vertical support. Remove the support causing issue, replace sump and put previous or similar support back in place .... refill. If you're asking which tool, jigsaw should do ok. Just saw a YouTube vid on this from Gallery Aquatica I think.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We had to do this when we were working with George from CoralFish12g. It's risky, and we don't assume liability here.

We did very similar to what @Quietman suggested, but we added a couple steps ;Shamefullyembarrased
  • Measure your sump and your opening without the center brace (very important)
  • Drain the tank as much as possible
  • Cut 2x4's to brace the stand and place them at the far ends.
  • Prepare the old sump (remove everything from it).
  • Remove center brace.
  • Remove the old sump
  • Try to fit the new sump in without taking out the 2x4's, take them out if needed (be careful and quick here if possible)
  • (if you skipped step one) Realize that the sump will almost fit, but is just a hair too big.
  • (if you skipped step one) Remove the cabinet doors.
  • (if you skipped step one) Try to squeeze the sump in, realize the gap is about 1/3" too small.
  • (if you skipped step one) Add the 2x4's back in, and then run to home depot to rent an industrial sander
  • (if you skipped step one) Keep shaving off a small amount of the cabinet and testing the sump fit.
  • Replace the 2x4's after the sump is in
  • Replace the center brace
  • Remove the 2x4 braces
  • Plumb your new sump.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 center brace in the front one on each side. Is it ok to remove one w/o adding 2x4s?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah assuming it's supported as stated above. But do you really need to? I'd see if you can wedge it in first, but be prepared with everything if you can't. As stated plan for the worst, have every eventuality you can think of covered with tools standing by. Also you might want to think of some back out plans. Meaning if the sump doesn't fit or the plumbing isn't workabke...when do you decide "I need to do this another day after..." And then make sure you have the equipment to do that. I'm sure you've done things like i have where you're in a death march and have to finish no matter what....I hate those 9 pm trips to Lowe's.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lazier side of me wants to skip the steps but i will be adding 2x4s to be safe. Now as for the brace itself how do i remove it w/o a jigsaw? Can i poind it out with a rubber mallet or hammer? I bought the stand from a LFS therefore i dont know how it was put together. Nails maybe?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh...did they paint over screw heads? Could be recessed nails. Could've put hidden screws, under the top piece. If you can't find might have to make sure you have a blade that can cut through that. And extras. Maybe your lucky and it's just paint holding it together.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something like this on 60gal marineland tank. I used a car floor jack & 2x4s. Raised tank slightly w/jack & a 2x4, inserted another 2x4 offset from center, removed center brace, swapped sumps. It was nerve racking but it worked. Had to repeat a year later when moving tank. My newest tank/stand has a side door...Amen

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brotha cant afford a floor jack :)
I cant seem to locate the screw as its prolly painted over. Really dont want to use a saw to cut it. What to do guys?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest if you dont want to cut it then it looks like your draining the tank moving it and replace the sump from behind unfortunately!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brotha cant afford a floor jack :)
I cant seem to locate the screw as its prolly painted over. Really dont want to use a saw to cut it. What to do guys?

There probably isn't screws. Alot of cabinet builders use dowels to hold brace in place.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks like it's made out of Pine. Most mass-produced ones are built with staples.
If so you may see them installed from the inside.

As already suggested, get the new and old sumps ready for the swap, then drain the tank as low as will allow your fish to still swim. That top rail is probably not strong enough to support the full weight of your filled tank.
Although I've seen people place tanks on just a couple stacks of bricks with no center support, why risk it ??

I like the idea of taking it out through an end without cutting any of the top/bottom rails over removing the center brace.

No offence but, if you're not certain how to remove it to begin with, maybe you could find someone close by who is very handy, has the proper tools and will re-install it properly.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally had the courage to take off the brace last night. It was fastened by nails so i used a chisel and a mallet to pry it out.

Cutting the end is a great idea too but again im too lazy to put in any work :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back