Need help setting up a small frag tank

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently acquired a lot of high end zoas and shrooms and want to set up a small frag tank! I happen to have a lot of gear sitting in garage and may as well get some use out of it for now! I have a 20L and HOB filters that hold xtra media! Not sure if I should use one or both. Also I have a hob skimmer (if it still works) should I buy one if it doesnt since I have heard zoas dont need really clean water!

My questions are: Can I successfully run a tank without live rock but instead use media like bioballs, maybe some rubble on bottom of crate? I am worried rubble may trap to much detritus? Any one know?

I do have a cave but it isnt very porous that might be ideal for shrooms (once they get bigger) and some small rocks in display I can use .

It it necessary to start with the cave for live rock and would it help that much if it isnt that porous? Its the caribe sea life rock cave. Its basically just a slab of concrete! I have lots of live bioballs and also non live ones! Brs has a video about starting a soft coral frag tank and only used ehiem biomedia and not even a hob! Nothing but the biomedia for filtration!

Should I use live sand? I know that would speed up cycle but would be hard to keep clean with the crates on top and frags without removing from tank!

The new corals havnt been delivered yet but like to get it going soon as I can. What is the fastest way? Would I harm my display by removing some of the bioballs and a small piece of live rock? I have never experienced a ugly phase because I didn't turn lights on for at least 3 month so can I expect the dreaded ugly phase?

Also, is it a futile effort using cheap fluvals led strips? I bought new and never used a while back so hate to throw money away plus my budget is pretty tight after spending a wad investing in high end corals! LOL Since its only zoas and shrooms, should I use one or two. They are 22watts a piece.

Lastly should I put a fish, clean up crew?
I read another post similar to mine and some said they put cheato in the hob. Dosnt chaeto need light? I have never used it before so havnt a clue!

If its to risky for high end corals then I could squeeze in my 2 tanks on some racks. I just dont want to risk algae growth taking over and killing my expensive frags or anything! I also dont want to risk my other tank by overloading! I got a tad carried away buying frags LOL I can never decide so I end up buying all! LOL Severe coral/shopping junkie!

I would appreciate any input or any advise at all!

Thanks in advance!

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious, get a frag tank that's wide and shallow that comes with its own frag rack to hold 50+ frags. eBay sells acrylic ones for $150 or so

But to your questions, you don't need live rock or live sand. Just biomedia is fine. You do need adequate lighting. But just a 30w light from Amazon is fine.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are serious, get a frag tank that's wide and shallow that comes with its own frag rack to hold 50+ frags. eBay sells acrylic ones for $150 or so

But to your questions, you don't need live rock or live sand. Just biomedia is fine. You do need adequate lighting. But just a 30w light from Amazon is fine.

I just checked ebay and nothing like that. There are some plain acrylic tanks that are 500 bucks with no racks. Its just shaped like a frag tank plus it to wide for the space I have now! I have a tight budget now so I was hoping I could get away with what I have. Do you not think thats a possibly? I have a good spot for it and dont have for a bigger one right now but I am planning on setting up a big tank room when my daughter finally moves her stuff out of the bonus room she was using for a bedroom! Should be soon because we had new tile delivered to go in there so I cant think of a better time to get stuff out!

I just looked at the box that the fluvals are in and they are actually 32 watts! I also paid 179 a piece for them! I tried to return them and they sent them back and said they had been opened! Wasted 50 bucks shipping back as well! LOL Dumb move! They also fit perfectly and the tank is 24 wide so I doubt I could find anything better on amazon unless I get a high end like ai prime and even If I put the money out for them I doubt if I could get 24 inch coverage! The par reading on the box are pretty good ( says 222 @6 inches, 90 @12) and it has 5 channels, blue tooth and all. I have read good review as well! Just not sure if I should use one or two!

Do you not think I could be successful growing with the light? Do you know of a particular light on amazon that cheap? This is all temporary once I move into the bonus room I will probably get a nicer set up for frags! I bought the lights because I have a tank in my kitchen and only 4 inches of space above tank because of cabinets or I would have never gone with a strip light! I ended up buying aquatic life edge strip because it was a big name led but the white channel has to warm of white that look yellow and has grown nothing but alage! I just replaced those lights with fluval nanos they were 50 bucks a piece and only mount 4 inches! I wish I had more space to mount better lights but that really isnt a grow tank so I am sure they will be fine!

Thanks for replying! I was hoping for a lot of opinions but some reason I never get much on reef2reef like nano-reef.com

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back